Gibson Brands Forums

Wah pedal?

Naradien

Hey guys, just wondering, for a wah pedal, do you need some sort of special input on your amp? Or do you plug it into your guitar, and then plug the wah wah into the guitar input on the amp? Thanks alot, because i was thinking of getting a wah wah, and was wondering if i could use it.

I'm sorry dude, I don't mean to be rude or anything...but that's a very stupid question. Something that could have been answered by just walking into your local music store and looking at a pedal.

I'm sure I ask the occasional stupid question too, but some of these are plain retarded! Same with that other thread about having a loose pup selector switch...come one man, you can't put 2 & 2 together and just tighten the damn thing? Sorry again, I'm just venting. Not to worry, I'm sure this thread will be deleted as soon as the mods see it.

if he uses distortion' date=' i dont think that would work very nice... i preffer my wah before distortion/od[/quote']

You put your wah before your overdrive/distortion? I've always put it after the overdrive. Interesting...what is the advantage of doing it ahead of the distortion?

Wah before amp/distortion is the most traditional way to go; back in the days of Hendrix and Clapton in the 60's, amps didn't have effects loops and fuzz pedals were the closest thing to distortion pedals that existed. Certainly, a wah pedal can work after distortion or in an effects loop but, to my ear, it sounds too extreme; still a valid option though.

What type of Wah pedal are you considering getting? I like a Vox Clyde McCoy myself.

Funny about the timing of this thread. I have been reading up reviews on various pedals the last couple of days. Initially, I thought of going with the standard Dunlop Crybaby or the Vox, but were seeing mostly mediocre reviews even on the signature models. I think I am going with a Morely, in the tradition of George Lynch and Steve Vei. Anyone ever use one of these with their Les Paul?

I think I am going with a Morely' date=' in the tradition of George Lynch and Steve Vei. Anyone ever use one of these with their Les Paul?[/quote']

I tried the Mark Tremonti, but didn't like it.

Pros: It doesn't have a switch like the Dunlops do. Sounds pretty good.

Cons: Once you take your foot off of it, you get a clean signal.

I bought a variant of the CryBaby 535Q, the Dimebag Darryl - CryBaby from Hell.

It sounds amazing, has good range, numerous settings, and you can fine tune it.

The one thing I really like about Dunlop wah pedals is that not only does it go wah-wah,

but you can set the pedal in a position and it'll stay there...something you can't do with a Morley.

(Did that make sense?)

Edit: Let me elaborate on that. What I meant was, think of the the pedal as a teeter-todder. You rock it back and forth with your foot, right? If you like the sound you get with the pedal balanced in the middle, or 80% towards the front, it'll stay when you take your foot off. The Morley will go back to the off position. That's what I don't like about Morleys. Other than that, they're sweet!

Love Morley pedals with Gibsons LES PAULS. especially the originals from the 70's big old huge metal pedals that use electro optical (lightbulbs) instead of potentiometer. I know they are limited compared to more modern multi pedals but there's just something special about these monsters that you plug in to 110 volt outlets, and Gibson guitars. My favorite is the volume Phaser.

Hopefully I typed Gibson in enough times to not get my post deleated or locked like the last several pedal posts

BTW, I get a great Jimmy Page tone by putting my Dunlop in the fully depressed position (treble) and setting my LP pickup selector to the middle position. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Hopefully I typed Gibson in enough times to not get my post deleated or locked like the last several pedal posts

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Thats why I buried my question deep inside of another post.

Thanks Tim, I did not consider that function. I have not played with one of these more than a couple of minutes in GC. But some of the stuff I am working on could only benefit from a wah. Next weekend, I'll get out to the guitar store and sample.

Next weekend' date=' I'll get out to the guitar store and sample.[/quote']

Dunlop CryBaby From Hell. I tried out 5 or 6 different pedals and liked it the best.

You can't miss it, it's camouflage...wait a minute, maybe you will miss it if it blends in with the background. #-o

since we are on the topic of pedals...any suggestions for an overdrive pedal. Don't want to spend more than a 100. I was on ebay and there are so many listed. Since this is a Les Paul forum..I would be using in with a Standard and Epi Valve Junior amp. Would be using it only for home use. I have a couple of young kids and need for the amp to start breaking up at lower volumes.

Overdrive pedals for GIBSON guitars huh?

There's so many of these OD pedals kind of depends on what kind of music you play? Two of my favorite low cost (under 100) would be the Electro Harmonics Big Muff or Little Big Muff for distortion pedals, and the Ibanez Tube screamer overdrive depending on what sound your after

the cheapest would be the boss sd1 and ds1 (super overdrive and distortion respectively)... they are good pedals, well built and lots of cheap mods for them on the net... they are reliable and wont cost more than 40 bucks...

If you want to spend a little more, electro harmonix big muff and metal muff, and of course, visual sounds route 66 and jekyll and hyde are outstanding pedals (over the 100 limit but well worth the money).

Of course it would help to know what type of music you plan on puting this little toys to work in.

I'm sorry dude' date=' I don't mean to be rude or anything...but that's a very stupid question. Something that could have been answered by just walking into your local music store and looking at a pedal.

I'm sure I ask the occasional stupid question too, but some of these are plain retarded! Same with that other thread about having a loose pup selector switch...come one man, you can't put 2 & 2 together and just tighten the damn thing? Sorry again, I'm just venting. Not to worry, I'm sure this thread will be deleted as soon as the mods see it.[/quote']

Ha! That's me, in my defense, it wasn't JUST that it was loose, but your right that was kind of stupid.

Archived