Gibson Brands Forums

an easy low volume pratice amp I rigged up(anyone else tried this?)

captmidnight

Hey All,

OK...here is what I did....took a Korg Toneworks effects pedal someone had given me...already had a set of computer speakers around (since we have 3 computers in the same room we all use ear phones so not to disturb each other, so had a brand new set just setting around)..went to radio shack and bought a 1/4 mono male plug adapter to 1/8 mini female plug stereo for about 3 bucks and plugged it into the outlet of the pedal and the computer speakers into that..and Ta-DAAA! sounds darn nice when you have it on the distort or chours or flanger...but when you turn it to the half stack or full stack sound it really does sound cool...and in almost stereo...The pedal even has the acoustic setting that sounds very much like the real thing thru this set up. Can get some good sounds at a volume even my wife can't complain about (now that is saying alot since she can find anything to "b**ch about (just kidding...well kinda) and then if you want just plug in a set of ear phones and no one but you can hear it then.

Just an idea for you,

Captmidnight

Yup, I've been doing this for a few years now.

I have a Boss GT-8.

I first hooked it up through the PC and out the Speakers.

(Phone/Line Out to LIne In on the Sound Card via Stereo Extension cable using 3mm-1/4 plug adaptors)

It sounds great and I can record straight to the PC without any mics...its a sweet set up. :)

Before I fried the AC Adapter on my Digitech RP7 Valve pedal (and no, I'm not dishing out $70 for a new power cord...forget that rip off), I had it hooked into my mic jack on my computer. Instead of using the standard speakers my pc came with, I had it all playing through a surround sound stereo setup I made. It sounded pretty awesome going through the computer to the speakers in a natural tone...but didn't handle well with a crunchy distortion though. Slight distortion sounded good, and it handled the effect of the pedal nicely. Not to mention I bought a program that let me record and edit whatever I played. From that point I could even convert everything into mp3 format.

In other words...I'd record something I played, and in about 10 minutes I could have it burnt onto cd.

I could never get my computer to recognize any other pedal I hooked up to it though :)

$70 for a AC adapter on a $300 pedal...unreal. And of course digitech used a plug type that had to be purchased by them. Lame.

The Vox AC 30 amplug also works through powered computer speakers and also straight into the CD/MP3 input on my Gdec .it give a good tone at a lower volume than a standard GDec .less boomy for some reason .

Living in a house with 2 children under the age of 3, I've had to come up with a few different ways to satisfy myself at a low volume. I'm currently using a 25 year old Dean Markley amp (I went over to my parents' place to help them move a few things out of their basement, and lo and behold, I found my crappy guitar and Dean Markley amp from when I was 12. The amp has survived pretty much intact and is actually quite decent, while the guitar needs quite a lot of repair to become playable again) well baffled in the basement. But, after waiting and waiting for stock to come in, my Vox Amplug AC30 is finally on its way! That'll be my main "amp" I reckon, since it seems to even sound quite nice when patched into some speakers when you get tired of headphones.

I do the same thing with my Line 6 POD and some older Sony powered computer speakers.

It doesn't raise the hair on the back of my neck with volume but it does allow me to get better definition for editing settings than I could get from headphones.

Bought a little Behringer mixer (Xenyx 502) and I plug the guitar in and the output from my computers sound card and can listen with headphones or plug in my computer speakers.

I can even run a patch cord from the speaker out of my Blues Junior to the mixer, but I have to be careful not to turn up the volume too high or all sorts of red lights start blinking on the mixer. ;)

yup .if you get backache lifting an Amplug ' date='then you have problems LOL[/quote']

Just got it. Took less than 24 hours from placing the order, till the mailman knocked on my door. I'm surprised it's so small, light and fraglie looking. So far, it has done the job better than I had hoped. I'm glad it is so small and light since my LP clocks in at damn near 11lbs.

Just got it. Took less than 24 hours from placing the order' date=' till the mailman knocked on my door. I'm surprised it's so small, light and fraglie looking. So far, it has done the job better than I had hoped. I'm glad it is so small and light since my LP clocks in at damn near 11lbs.[/quote']

I think they are very good, but as you say a tad fragile looking .They seek out loose jack sockets like crazy ..they give a great sound and work well .I use it mainly with my Dot and Strat . Its got a great strat tone in its little heart and a very good overdrive tone on my Dot as well as clean tones.Of course both of these guitars have always sounded good through an AC30 and the Amplug captures it well IMHO.most of the time I have it plugged into the Gdec now .Its pretty quite and still good tones .An 11 lbs guitar would kill me , adding an Amplug would tip me over .My next guitar will made of Balsa wood hollowed out .LOL

Archived