Gibson Brands Forums

Your Favorite Bassists

Parabar

Maybe this topic will elicit some participation --- lotsa folks are bound to have opinions, so here's yer chance to give up some props to the bass players who have influenced, inspired or impressed you the most.

Here's mine, in alphabetical order:

Aston "Family Man" Barrett - the heartbeat of the Wailers (and many other classic reggae recordings)

Jeff Berlin - check out his version of "Crossroads" --- he plays Eric Clapton's guitar solos from the live version on "Wheels of Fire" note for note (including double stops) on the bass. Jaw-dropping.

Ron Carter - a master of tone, technique and taste on both upright and electric.

Jack Casady - one of the first guys to play "electric lead bass," expanding on the instrument's traditional role

Stanley Clarke - chops, versatility, and a unique style.

James Jamerson - a BIG part of the reason Motown records were so hugely successful.

Jaco Pastorius - Duh! Rewrote the book on bass playing; as influential on bass as Hendrix was (and is) on guitar.

Francis "Rocco" Prestia - the Godfather of sixteenth-note funk with Tower of Power. No need to ask "What is Hip?" --- Rocco is!

Chuck Rainey - the Crusaders, Steely Dan, Quincy Jones, and countless jazz and R&B artists have relied on Chuck's phat sound and fluid funky style.

Robbie Shakespeare - along with drummer Sly Dunbar, helped bridge the gap between reggae and R&B; also powered many classic reggae tracks.

Who's up next?

Allen Woody - Govt Mule

Burke Shelley - BUDGIE

Tim Bogert - Vanilla Fudge, BBA

Mel Schacher - Grand Funk Railroad

Andy Fraser - FREE

Bozz Burrell - Bad Company (very underrated IMHO)

John Paul Jones - Led Zep

Roger Glover - Deep Purple

Dennis Dunaway and Tony Levin - (Alice Cooper early years)

Tom Kriss - The James Gang

Chuck Rainey

Paul McCartney - One of the true architects of rock bass.

Geddy Lee - Him and Paul, my two main reasons for picking up bass in the first place

Chris Squire - That tone! Those chops! Geddy's main influence...

James Jamerson - Can't believe no one's mentioned him already! Monster bass Funk Brother supreme!

Noel Redding - That cat smoked on bass! But everyone's too busy listening to Jimi...

Victor Wooten - Needs no explanation..

Jack Bruce - Not just a great bassist, but great all around musician/composer

Mel Schacher - From Grand Funk Railroad.. Another cat who's overlooked.

Steve Harris - Fastest bassist who plays finger-style.

Lee Sklar - He's all over the place!

Tony Levin - One of the most inventive bass players out there!

These guys, plus all the ones that have been mentioned already (no need to repeat)... I got some more, but it's late...

[edit] Oops.. I guess I did repeat a couple!

Paul McCartney - One of the true architects of rock bass.

Geddy Lee - Him and Paul' date=' my two main reasons for picking up bass in the first place

Chris Squire - That tone! Those chops! Geddy's main influence...

James Jamerson - Can't believe no one's mentioned him already! Monster bass Funk Brother supreme!

Noel Redding - That cat smoked on bass! But everyone's too busy listening to Jimi...

Victor Wooten - Needs no explanation..

Jack Bruce - Not just a great bassist, but great all around musician/composer

Mel Schacher - From Grand Funk Railroad.. Another cat who's overlooked.

Steve Harris - Fastest bassist who plays finger-style.

Lee Sklar - He's all over the place!

Tony Levin - One of the most inventive bass players out there!

These guys, plus all the ones that have been mentioned already (no need to repeat)... I got some more, but it's late...

[edit'] Oops.. I guess I did repeat a couple!

1. John Entwistle-

2. Willie Dixon-

3. Carl Radle-

4. Willie Weeks-

5. Roger Waters-

6. Nathan East-

7. Klaus Voorman-

8. Bill Wyman-

9. Bill Black-

10.Billy Cox-

11.Donald "Duck" Dunn-

12.Chris Dreja-

13. Darryl Jones-

14. Nick Lowe-

15.Carol Kaye-

16.Will Lee-

17.Sting-

18.Peter Cetera-

19.Greg Lake-

20. Tina Weymouth-

and honorable mention:

Stuart Sutcliffe- Didn't play a whole lot but looked damn cool playing what he did.

...and Al's your uncle.

i've always liked adam clayton (u2) -- his playing is sparse, uncluttered and the backbone of a great band. he's at his best i think on achtung baby -- when he finally starts playing on 'one' is one of rock's many great moments.

chris squire, andy fraser and mccartney -- yes! free! beatles!

for macca fans, recommended reading is 'the complete beatles recording sessions -- the official story of the abbey road years'. did you know he pioneered the use of d.i. to the mixing desk and sometimes dubbed his bass lines over the other instruments . . . ?

on the double bass, danny thompson.

hi bassplayer_71' date='

nice eb-o . . . jack bruce was a fan of the gibson eb-o, and i should certainly have put him on my list above.

[/quote']

Actually, he played an EB-3... Before that, he played a Fender VI, but it had a custom paint job on it that was done with a kind of rubbery paint that kept sticking to his shirt.. He got fed up with that after a while and picked up an EB-3 at a local guitar shop while he was on the road..

I wish Epiphone would make a real version of the EB-3... With a short scale, set neck..

lerxst' date=' i stand corrected ... on googling some more i see the same mistake got past the eds of bass player mag [see http://www.bassplayer.com/article/letters/feb-06/17270'] so i won't kick myself too hard, being a simple soul not an aficiniado ...

No worries... Lots of folks confuse the EB-3 and EB-0... Back when I was first starting to play, I had a Japanese EB-3 copy and my first bass teacher had the real thing... So I've always had a special place in my heart for the EB-3.. That's the only reason I know anything about it at all! O:)

Ok, lemme rephrase that... I wish Epiphone would make a real version of the EB-3 I can afford!

• 4 weeks later...

1. Jack Bruce of Cream. Always will have #1 status in my bass book. I just wish he still used an EB-3 as his main axe!

2. John Paul Jones of Led Zeppilin. He was amazing in the band and as a session guy. Plus, his keyboard playing is great.

3. Greg Chaisson of Badlands, Legs Diamond, and the Christian Metal Band Die Happy. I first heard him in Die Happy when I was a kid. He brought this amazing bluesy feel to their brand of metal. His walking style was a real influance on my playing style.

• 1 month later...

1. Bob Bogle Ventures.

2. Leon Wilkeson Lynrd Skynrd.

3. Jerome Arnold Early Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

4. Michael Steele Bangles. Unique style and riffs on recordings.

5. Kenny Edwards Early Linda Ronstadt and others. Great lines on recordings.

6. Leland Sklar and the other L.A. session bass players that

gave us so much to listen to, strive for.

-

These are just a few that pop to mind that have not been mentioned.

-

Almost all of those you have mentioned have stolen my heart or taken

my soul on a joyful ride. To hear Mc Cartney on Rain or Paperback Writer,

Watching and hearing John Entwistle live, The Amazing Jamie Jamerson.....

They are all Gods of the Soul for me and play a lifes song I will always march to.

Almost any bass player I have seen live or heard from radio, CD etc. They

have all left an imprint in the heart, the soul, the drive that gives us the

pleasure and gift of music. Any song I hear I am riding on the bass lines,

listening and learning....From the good and bad. I am driven by the joy of playing,

in the physical and musical "spirit" side. . I get joy from playing with someone I've never played

with before and letting them pull new ideas and responses from me no one else ever has.

I get joy out of playing with musical soulmates I have grown up with-you know where to

go, where they will go, and the joy of familair songs and responses. To look out and

see someone tapping along with you, wheteher a hand or foot or nodding head.

Those feelings take me and give me joy no drug can do. Sitting in the den,

with my bass, I am a 5 or 6 bass player. Have somebody plug in with me

and I can rule the world! I can jump into the the 10's. Its amazing how that

works for me.

-

I get inspired by other players, by different instruments that I own. I can

get in a Jazz Bass mood....Maybe the EB2D calls to me........Or the Dano

Longhorn.....I heed the call and grab the bass that fits my mood. For me it

makes a difference at times. Inspired by person, instrument, song, time of day.

I am a better night time player than daytime player. No one else has mentioned that.

I haven't seen anyone remark on the whys and wheres of their playing, it needs

a thread of its own I guess.

-

Thanks for the time and inspiration you all give here!

• 2 years later...

Archived