Gibson Brands Forums

Line6 PODs?

Biff

Anyone using Line6 POD effects? What's the verdict, are they any good?

I have all the analog effect pedals I need but I'm going to pick up a cheap second hand Pocket POD tomorrow,

just for fun and for playing with headphones.

It might also be useful for playing through the PA if I don't feel like carrying the amp with me to the practise, since I'm these days doing mostly just the singing (and the drums if the drummer can't make it).

It would also be cool if you could share some of the custom patches or the settings you are using the most.

The lead guitarist in the band I played with a couple of years ago used a Line 6 POD for all his effects --- sounded killer both live and in the studio. Live he ran it through a small Mesa Boogie on clean setting and miked the amp for larger venues.

I use a Line 6 Spider II as a practice amp and for recording (the effects are essentially the same as the POD, just with less programmability) and find the sounds extremely usable.

Anyone using Line6 POD effects? What's the verdict' date=' are they any good?

I have all the analog effect pedals I need but I'm going to pick up a cheap second hand Pocket POD tomorrow,

just for fun and for playing with headphones.

It might also be useful for playing through the PA if I don't feel like carrying the amp with me to the practise, since I'm these days doing mostly just the singing (and the drums if the drummer can't make it).

It would also be cool if you could share some of the custom patches or the settings you are using the most.

[/quote']

I'm using the PODxt and I think its great because not only can I download other users

patches for free, but it has the USB output to record tracks onto your computer using the

the KRISTAL AUDIO ENGINE to record multitracks, mixdown and other stuff

like special effects and adjust per track equalizer settings.

The PODxt has it's own line power supply, and a direct guitar input, headphone jack output as well as two

separate line outs that can go to your amp (high level) input or efx loop.

You also need LINE 6 Monkey/LINE 6 EDIT to download patches and edit them on your POD.

Some of the patches I use are EJohnson/SRV, Led Zep Stairway, Piezo Acoustic, Jazz Clean, and

Still got the blues (Gary Moore), and various amp/cabinet models

such as JCM800, Treadplate, plexi variac, plexi jump lead, plexi 45, Fender blackface fender

deluxe, bassman, double reverb and many more.

Efx are too many to mention here..it has a COMPpressor/gate button with finite adjustments,

STOMP pedal efx, MODulation efx, various delays, etc.

It has a very accurate (right inside the box) tuner, plus 8 amp type controls to

adjust: output, drive, bas, mid, treb, presence, chan vol and reverb.

It eliminates a lot of stomp pedals, but I still just bought Behringer compressor

sustainer to get even more sustain out of the PODxt.

the manual is the best I've seen, and has pictures of the amps as well as

pictorial s for setup and connections. There is a PRO rack mount as well.

I decided to get the xT over the cheaper pocket version because of the download

/edit capabilities. Let me know if there are any other questions on it.

I'm using the PODxt and I think its great because not only can I download other users

patches for free' date=' but it has the USB output to record tracks onto your computer using the

the KRISTAL AUDIO ENGINE to record multitracks, mixdown and other stuff

like special effects and adjust per track equalizer settings.

The PODxt has it's own line power supply, and a direct guitar input, headphone jack output as well as two

separate line outs that can go to your amp (high level) input or efx loop.

You also need LINE 6 Monkey/LINE 6 EDIT to download patches and edit them on your POD.

Some of the patches I use are EJohnson/SRV, Led Zep Stairway, Piezo Acoustic, Jazz Clean, and

Still got the blues (Gary Moore), and various amp/cabinet models

such as JCM800, Treadplate, plexi variac, plexi jump lead, plexi 45, Fender blackface fender

deluxe, bassman, double reverb and many more.

Efx are too many to mention here..it has a COMPpressor/gate button with finite adjustments,

STOMP pedal efx, MODulation efx, various delays, etc.

It has a very accurate (right inside the box) tuner, plus 8 amp type controls to

adjust: output, drive, bas, mid, treb, presence, chan vol and reverb.

It eliminates a lot of stomp pedals, but I still just bought Behringer compressor

sustainer to get even more sustain out of the PODxt.

the manual is the best I've seen, and has pictures of the amps as well as

pictorial s for setup and connections. There is a PRO rack mount as well.

I decided to get the xT over the cheaper pocket version because of the download

/edit capabilities. Let me know if there are any other questions on it.

[/quote']

Yep the XT is an amazing instrument. So many options that its near limitless in the possibilities dept.

The stock patches are hit or miss but some of the user patches are gems while others just plain suck so beware. Afte many hours of tweakin my XT ive come up with some pretyy good core tones both dry and effected. AZ from the Institute of Noise forum has some Marshall patches that sound so close its scary.

The effects on the XT are many and Very High quality IMO as well. The abilty to put stomps in front of amp models makes for some seriously good rig tones.

Its not gonna replace your tube amp but its the best practice /modeling multi unit Ive used and allows very discreet yet large sounding sessions. A Great pair of headphones can make a huge difference as well. I went with Bose over ear light weights.

It might also be useful for playing through the PA

That's where these amp modelers work, or shine, their best IMO. I was giving a POD 2.0...I think that's the old model(?). Anyhow I personally don't care for the effects on that unit at all. Definitely don't care using it with an amp....at least it hit rock bottom with me.

However...I have used it as DI straight to the board. I only used the amp modeler side and non of the effects, and like that it worked great for me. I was very pleased with it....especially setting up and tearing down. Basically used it as if it was an amp. Reason I needed one, or anything similar, was because of a few gigs I got hired to do a while back with a P&W band that didn't allow amps on stage....everybody went to the board. Haven't used it since, but wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it again in the same matter if I needed to.

Like I said mine is the older model so the effects on new ones might sound better, plus I'm a multi-effects processor maroon and no patience for tweaking anymore, so the combination of both might have a lot to do with the sound "I" get .O:)

dont bother with a pocket pod, you can pick up a used pod 2.0 for less. I got one off Craigslist for $50, just keep your eyes open. Ebay is another option.

As far as pro bands using a pod, in studio or live, a friend plays guitar for the reformed Jesus and Mary Chain as well as in his own band the International Jetsetters. Have a listen, he is playing a Ric. (he is on the far left)

He has even used it with a 12 string Ric

As far as the pod in general, I have nearly 50 pedals and find the pod 2.0 alot of fun. Its also got a headphone jack, left and right output jacks, some nice effects that are easy to adjust not to mention the modeling sounds. The only true downside to the pod 2.0 is the power supply, there is no battery option. Not that I would ever use a battery but the power supply itself is just like the one on a computer printer, a huge box!

The funnest thing ive done yet with the pod is a double tremolo effect. Basicly ive got a tremolo amp thats got its own setting. The pod tremolo reacts seemingly different that my Dunlop adjustable tremolo pedal in which the Dunlop wont agree with any other tremolo than itself. The pod unit however seems to allow me that function. No idea why. It is something ive been trying to do for many, many years now. Its an awesome surf tone and not as over powering as it may sound. While one tremolo fades, the other stays.

I have a PodXT live, and I love it...I use it mainly in my home studio..as I dont use much effects live...I would swear by the pc/interface capabilities this thing has..so many tones..basically endless possibilities..I also run a bass through it for recording...or keys, vocals, electric banjo..whatever! I started with a 2.0 and even that was sweet for a while..great tones on it as well.

• 1 month later...

Historically, the Line6 PODs have been nifty tools for what they are...multi-effect amp modeling units. Prior to the latest generation, they were pretty reliable. The new X3 Live, though, is a new low for Line6. Poorly constructed (hot-glued footswitches?!?), not well-tested prior to release, and buggy as can be, plenty of folks (myself included) have found the X3 Live unusable. It sounded great when it worked (the best-sounding POD to date by the vast majority of accounts), but it just didn't work consistently. Line6 is releasing firmware patches to take care of the glitches, but some of the problems with the X3 Live are the result of poor materials and construction. Until there are hardware revisions and Line6 finally gets the software situation fixed, I'd stick with the XT Live. It may not sound quite as good as the X3 Live, but it will work when you need it to...something the X3 Live can't match.

Got the Pocket POD and a good 9V DC adapter for just pocket change, it's pretty good for home and earphones.

Tried it through the PA but I'm not impressed yet, I have to try again to find the most neutral sound I can get from the power mixer I run the POD into.

I've found a couple of good presets for my 5W tube amp, too. It won't ever replace my stomp boxes for good but it's a nice toy!

I've got a Spider III amp & am very pleased with the effects. Great for playing live (very easy to maintain) & so far I'm pretty pleased with it recording-wise. I'm pretty sure the POD has the same models & if so I'd have to give it a thumbs-up.

I played for years before we had any of these things (I still remember buying a 'fuzz tone' back in '67) and over the years I've owned plenty of pedals & boxes. If I was gigging now I'd probably just go up with either a valvetronix or the Line 6. The models are probably not as 'pure' as you could make them yourself with a good tube amp & all the pedals but there's a lot of effects (11 good amp models in the valvetronix and over 400 pre-sets in the LIne 6) and they require practically no effort to switch from one to another. I'd be shocked if anybody in the crowd could tell any difference.

Biff,

I use a Line 6 POD live for sending my signal straight to a Front Of House mixer every weekend.

I play in a Praise and Worship band at my church and the auditorium had dreadful acoustics.

An amp would be useless in that room.

I also use my POD lined straight into the power amp to bypass the preamp section of my vintage Peavey Bandit65.

Does it make the Peavey sound like boutique amps? No but I don't make my living playing music so it works fine for me.

I've seen the pocket POD's and wondered whether they were worth the cost.

Give us a review.

Archived