Gibson Brands Forums

need help on some info

crashing-silence

I got a used epihone electric/acoustic for xmas this year never really dealt with epiphone before, but am very happy with this gift. The problem is that Im a research nut and did some digging on my own and still cannot find any info pertaining to my numbers on the guitar itself..I know I know I should just be enjoying the thing and not worry about this crap but for people with a background like mine it is almost a sickness so Iam turning to this cult for answers and help. figure you are the most knowledged in the subject and any info would be greatly appreciated. The numbers are as follows AJ28SE-na and another sticker inside says RM207346. Oh yeah any history on the product in question would be cool as well..Thanks in advance!!

Anothr guitar with non matching numbers ,well use the numbers on the headstock always

that`s the number you can use to look up for the most part where it was made and when ..

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

link is for the dater but please read on there 11-25 numbers are needed

and you don`t have enugh on either number for this to work ,

Unless some one else can offer the history link ,or you can get pictures posted

someone might be able to give you more info with pictures posted

Don't know if you have found the info you needed, but here is a write up from Gibson's web site that may or may not help:

Epiphone:

Most regular production models since ca. 1993. Many '80s and early '90s serial numbers may follow a similar scheme, but may not include a factory ID code.

FYYMMRRRR

F= Factory code (this can be 2 letters as well)

YY= year of manufacture (this can also be just 1 digit for '90s models)

MM= month of manufacture

R= ranking number (may be more or less digits, not necessarily indicative of total units produced)

Example - S02021234 was issued in Feb. 2002.

Another code used on some current Epiphone models

FYYMRRRR

F= Factory code

YY=Year of manufacture

M= This will be a letter code corresponding to the month (A=January, B=February, etc...)

RRRR= ranking number

Example - R03D0263 was issued in April 2003.

Epiphone Elite/Elitist models

FYSSSS

F= Factory Code (this code will be an "F" or "T")

Y= Year of manufacture (2 = 2002, 3 = 2003, etc.)

SSSS= Sequential Serial Number

Example - T41234 is a 2004 Elitist model.

I have a AJ500RNS that was purchased in 2006. An example of the serial # for the type I have would be:

GR-05091500. GR (made in Qingdao China factory) 05 (2005) 09 (made in sept) 1500 (ranking or production #)

I'm assuming that RM207346 is your serial #. Your guitar is probably older than mine. If the RM is the factory code, maybe someone on the forum can help with which factory that represents. There are many here with much experience than I have that can help you out.

I'm guessing Iconoclast will be along shortly with some helpful info for you.

Good luck!!

I'm admittedly baffled by that serial number.. I'm thinking maybe it's a number added by a refurbisher-Is it on a strip of white tape? The number doesn't decipher like any I've seen before. RM ?...sorry, I'm not going to be much help here.

...and Al's your uncle.

Archived