Gibson Brands Forums

Texan R96C - anybody know anything about this

gks002

They started making the texan ya well i think in the fifties ,

So not sure till you can post some pictures of it ,they speak volumes

on different guitars,now here`s a down side some work was farmed out to other houses

so maybe ,me or someone else can help you ..Some of the pick guards the way it`s cut

if there are things scrolled into it ,shape of the body of the guitar all help in tracking down

the who ,what, how and why

Just bought a texan on ebay and wondering if anyone knows about this serial # Texan VC / R96C is all it says inside. love this thing and just want to know abit more about it. Any ideas?

Your guitar was made in Korea (by Peerless) in March of 1996. It has a solid spruce top and laminated maple back and sides. I think they still make a Korean Texan but don't hold me to that. The original " FT-79 Texan" was a mahogany-bodied guitar introduced by Gibson in 1958 and stuck around while around under-going some changes until 1970. The FT-79 model designation was first used on a walnut-bodied small jumbo (16") guitar in 1942 which evolved in 1954 to a maple bodied guitar. In 1958 the model became a mahogany-bodied , sloped shouldered dread very similar to a Gibson J-45/J-50 but with a longer scale length and the "Texan" model name was added.. The "Texan" designation was also used on the Japanese FT-145 as well as the later Korean model you own but while having the same name there's little similarity between the Kalamazoo-made FT-79 Texan and these later models. There was a very limited number (250) of FT-79 Texans made in Bozeman, Montana in 1993/94 but even these are different from the original Texans. The Texan is available as an Elitist model but again, differing from the original. Starting in 2005 there were three limited editions based upon Paul McCartney's 1964 Texan. A very limited (40) number of Bozeman, Montana models that were exact hand-made clones of McCartney's left-handed conversion, another 250 made in Bozeman that were less exact and 1,964 Japanese-made Texans without the nitro-cellulose finish that are errmmm close.

...and Al's your uncle

Archived