Gibson Brands Forums

The stuff that brings the sound of my Epiphone and others to you!

matiac

306466250.jpg

This is what I use to record to my computer with, a Zoom MRS8, a Zoom 505II, and a Digitech RP1, directly to the soundcard, and cleaned up a little with "Audacity" (1.2.4). I still gotta figure out how to eliminate the clipping I constantly get, aint got that fingered out yet. Just thought I'd share...

Ah, aren't home studios great?! My brother & I have a modest (but nice) little 8-track digital recorder and all the periferal devices and hope to record an album's worth of original material as soon as I can get moved into my new house. We don't intend to try to sell them (since that would no doubt be fruitless) but if we get it done I will probably offer it up free to anybody here on the forum who'd want one.

The biggest problem we face is drums. Many of our tunes require fairly complicated drum parts & we've got to try to figure out how to do it satisfactorily with our drum machine. Of course, if we aren't able to do it (a good possibility), I'll have to break down & hire a drummer & book some studio time to put them on retroactively (which is pretty hard for the drummer to do).

I've had a reasonable amount of studio experience in the 'old (analog) days' as both a studio musician and producer (I use to make commercials) so at least I know a lot about 'what not to do' and we're commited to recording this album in a 'minimalist' fashion using no more than 2 guitars, bass, drums, and occasional keyboard/synth so hopefully we can maintain a 'lively' sound as best we can recording it one track at a time.

Hopefully I can talk my brother into doing all the vocals since he was a vocalist for 22 years and I sound like a 'dying cow' (to quote one of my friends). Heck, he already knows all the words to my tunes anyway.

Stay tuned, I guess.

Last count, I have 62 tunes at the site below, probably 40% were done with the drum machine in the MRS8, the rest were done on a keyboard by yours truly, so I guess that makes me a drummer of sorts. But the MRS8 is a pretty neat addition, I retired the keyboard, it had this annoying hum I couldn't get rid of, but it was all I had at the time. And all the older stuff was direct to the computer, not a single tune was through an amplifier, so yeah, it's pretty kool! And really quiet, which goes over quite well with wifey.

G&F, I've been going through an amp but use the 'Line-Out' from the amp (which mutes the amp speakers) into a tube pre-amp into the recorder. There's no need to mike them since the recorder (Tascam DP-01FX) has several cabinet models we can use that work decently. Yeah, it's great & since we don't use mikes for anything except vocals there's no need to keep the room quiet, etc. A lot easier than in the old days.

I'm anxious to get this move done so we can get started. I hope to use as many different guitars as I can on this project.

I've been trying to come up with something I can use both Les Pauls in, but their tones are so different from each other, of course that could work to my advantage, and it would afford a comparison between the two, I just can't come up with anything...actually, that's not true, "Easy Street" was done with both guitars, but the lead guitar was done with the Goldtop, and it pretty much jumps out at you compared to the Epiphone, didn't change any settings on anything when I recorded it. And the tune "Midnight Scrambler", I did those vocals with the computer's mic, you'll notice I too sound like a dying cow.=D>

You can do believable drums on a fairly inexpensive keyboard. Naturally, you will get better sounds with a complete set of acoustic drums, but that requires about 8 mics and lots of mix tracks. We bought a set of Roland Electronic drums for $800 used ($3000 new) that are really good and they are used on our gigs. Personally, in a home studio, I am satisfied with the Yamaha keyboard drum set.

Yeah, that board I have is a cheapo Radio Shack has a drum thing in it, you can either play patterns already programmed, or you can do your own thing (I do both), only thing I don't like about it is it hums really bad, and it's a pain to filter out of the track I did with it, but it's a pretty kool little board. 2 tunes at Soundclick I used the piano function too, sounds pretty good as a piano.

We've got a fairly good Alesis drum machine but the manual that comes with it is pretty worthless. It's a lot like reading Microsoft help files. It just keeps referring you to other places & you eventually end up exactly where you started without learning anything. That's the knock on these drum machines from people who own them. They are extremely non user-friendly. We're really considering buying another more user-friendly drum machine but haven't found one we really like yet.

I us Cakewalk guitar Tracks Pro and Krystal recoding software. I also use a behringer USB port as my hardware interface. I have a Behringer Eurorack 12 cahnnel digital mixer that I run everything through before sending it to the computer. It has decent F/X, so I use that to add delay/reverb/chorus/etc to my vocals.

I don't own a bass, but I have a cheap danelectro octave pedal that works fine for my purposes...I just turn the volume of the original signal to 0, and turn the lowest octave to 0 as well, then use the middle octave on a low setting and play my guitar as if it were a bass. It's a reasonable representation. Not spectacular, but neither is my recording/playing ability 8-[ ;)

For drums, I have a Yamaha Keyboard and a Yahama drum machine. But I generally use wav files from cakewalk drag-and-drop-drummer or I buy them off various internet sites for about $10 a session (each session contains about 100 different beats and fills, and you can use them forever). If you use a computer program, that's the best way I know of to put drums in short of actually recording them acoustically or playing them via electronic drums.

It's easy to just delete a section and paste in a new one (so long as they're the same time pattern) if you want to make changes, etc.

Archived