Gibson Brands Forums

Who in your opinion is a guitarist worthy of greater recognition but not thought of as a guitar hero

Notes_Norton

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also listen to instrumentalists that play instruments I don't play. Long before I picked up guitar' date=' I listened to guitarists and that helped my saxophone playing.[/quote']

"Notes"...

Did you listen much to the great Stan Getz? He and Charlie Byrd on classical guitar, made Bossa Nova a

household word in the late 60s. Although there was probably many good jazz sax players out there,

Get'z melodic style really stood out. I still listen to him today.

For a taste of melodic guitar that many people never hear' date='

try this: [[/quote']

RE: youtube clip of ARMIK playing Isla Del Sol.

Gary,

Nice flamenco style playing. He's using a flamenco custom that have cedar tops

and have that brighter tone over the spruce top classicals. Using the pick gives

the strings a more piquant tone. I can't tell if he's using hard tension strings which

are better when using the pick, but his right hand technique and phrasing is superb.

His runs are flawless and well executed.

I'll try and find a cd of his... if its available up here in Canada.

"Notes"...

Did you listen much to the great Stan Getz? He and Charlie Byrd on classical guitar' date=' made Bossa Nova a

household word in the late 60s. Although there was probably many good jazz sax players out there,

Get'z melodic style really stood out. I still listen to him today.[/quote']

Getz is my all-time favorite sax player. Favorite albums are Jazz Samba, Jazz Samba Encore, Focus, The Dolphin and Pure Getz. I have about 30 other Getz LPs and CDs. Other favorites are Stanley Turrentine, Lester Young, Richie Cole, Charlie Parker, Ken Peplowski, Paul Desmond, Scott Hamilton, Pete Chrisleib and a few more I'll think of as soon as I hit the post button :-)

Guitarist Charlie Byrd does a great job on Jazz Samba and Luiz Bonfa does a stellar job on Jazz Samba Encore. IMHO they are the two best Bossa albums ever recorded (but of course I haven't heard all the Bossa albums ever recorded).

I've also learned a lot about sax playing from Jimmy Smith (organ), Carlos Santana and others (guitar), Mark Murphy and others (vocals), Harry "Sweets" Edison and others (trumpet), and scores of other fine musicians. Especially the ones I consider to be more melodic and more lyrical.

While I appreciate the skill needed to put out blazingly fast runs, I appreciate even more the people who have those technical skills but when they play, those technical skills are not evident (until you try to learn their solos). I think learning those technical skills are very important, and learning other people's solos help you gain technical skills and incorporate those skills into your own personal expression.

But technical skills are only half the formula. Just because you know sentence structure, grammar, alliteration, simile, metaphor, onomatopoeia, etc., doesn't mean you are going to write great prose or poetry. The other half has to come from inside you. It's the half that cannot be taught.

You can teach the technical skills, and you can teach someone how to listen. The rest is up to the player and his/her natural talents. And IMHO that is what separates the really great players from the rest. Stan Gets stands out in my mind as one who uses those technical skills to create thoughtful, melodic, and well developed solos.

BTW, to add to the guitar non-hero worthy of greater recongnition list, does anyone agree with Bruce Foreman?

Insights and incites by Notes

flyingfrets said:

I thought Jeff Baxter did most of Steely Dan's more notable guitar work?

Although "Skunk" is a superb player, and well deserving of wider recognition, his tenure with Steely Dan was limited to the first couple of albums, and his parts weren't necessarily featured solos. Most of the famous guitar solos on Steely Dan records were played by Denny Dias (Bodhisattva,), Larry Carlton (Kid Charlemagne) or a few other studio players (I think Lee Ritenour did some also).

On their "Live in America" CD, Georg Wadenius was the main soloist. Walter Becker played most of the guitar parts (including solos) on the two most recent CD's, "Two Against Nature " and "Everything Must Go," but live they usually include a second guitar player with formidable chops to handle some of the heavy lifting as well.

I agree with all the guitarists listed so far... Especially Joe Walsh.. He doesn't get NEARLY the props he deserves!

To that' date=' I'll add...

Alex Lifeson

Steve Morse

Gary Moore

[/quote']

As soon as I saw the thread title, those 3 guitarists came to mind.

I was just digging through my vinyl in the basement yesterday, which I don't think has been looked at in over 20 years, and found my old Paco de Lucia album with Ramon Algeciras. Now I just need to get a turntable, sound card, something to take vinyl tracks and burn cds with this stuff. Flying Burrito Brothers, Miles Daves, Smithsonian Jazz Collection, Charlie Parker, it's amazing! Anyway the Flamenco music reminded me of Paco...

I just thought of another one that I had to add --- Sid McGinnis from the Letterman Show band. He's on the money night after night, backing up musical guests in every genre and tearing it up with commercial intros and outros. Occasionally the band gets a chance to cut loose and you can hear just how good he (and the whole band) is. 'Nuff respect!

Felicia Collins is no slouch, either --- and she can SANG!

1. PHIL KEAGGY (the nicest pro guitar player I ever met) He's totally underrated and unknown because he left the mainstream after 2 albums with Glass Harp and became a pioneer in the Christian rock genre. I have a live album from his west coast tour in 1977 or 1978 and the guy was mindblowing. I saw him live last year and the guy still smokes. If you can find an album in the used music stores called "How the West Was Won" with Phil and a band called The second Chapter of Acts" buy it. It's worth the cost just for his tracks. Or his best electric album' date=' IMHO, is Crimson and Blue. I know what you are thinking, it can't be good because it's Christian music. I guarantee you Phil Keaggy is the best guitarist you've never heard of. His more recent stuff uses alternate tunings, double capos and looping to accomplish some really amazing things.[/quote']

THANK YOU, Amino!!!

I was waiting for someone to mention Keaggy since it was started... Good ol Phil...

I believe Hendrix was once asked what its like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, and he said "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy"

The guy is absolutely excellent, I love his loop work... Guy pretty much writes a song on the spot with the loops...

Wow guys thanks! I have never heard of some of the above mentioned and it has inspired my playing and will soon add to my music collection! I am really thrilled by Phil Keaggy and have never heard of him before tonight. See what all the fuss is about below!

Guitarist Charlie Byrd does a great job on Jazz Samba and Luiz Bonfa does a stellar job on Jazz Samba Encore. IMHO they are the two best Bossa albums ever recorded (but of course I haven't heard all the Bossa albums ever recorded).

While I appreciate the skill needed to put out blazingly fast runs' date=' I appreciate even more the people who have those technical skills but when they play, those technical skills are not evident (until you try to learn their solos).

You can teach the technical skills, and you can teach someone how to listen. The rest is up to the player and his/her natural talents. And IMHO that is what separates the really great players from the rest. Stan Gets stands out in my mind as one who uses those technical skills to create thoughtful, melodic, and well developed solos.

[/quote']

Jazz Samba is also one of my favorites. Charlie Byrd definitely influenced me on the classical guitar while listening

to that album. I listen to his "Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros" (Bossa Nova for the Birds). His arpeggio stylings are very pretty.

This is what makes the guitar such a phenominal instrument, there are so many styles out there that one can adapt

into his personal style. Blazing runs are indeed impressive, but they have to be balanced with good phrasing

and melodic structure.

Wow guys thanks! I have never heard of some of the above mentioned and it has inspired my playing and will soon add to my music collection! I am really thrilled by Phil Keaggy and have never heard of him before tonight. See what all the fuss is about below!

Pretty impressive playing! He definitely has a free style..combination of finger picking

right hand rhythmn/modulation technicques, even a touch of flamenco, tapping,

and left handing fretting technique to get the strings to resonate while he taps

out a melodic phrases with his right hand.

A very hard style to master or copy There is so much of his personal expression in his playing.

8-[

1. PHIL KEAGGY (the nicest pro guitar player I ever met) He's totally underrated and unknown because he left the mainstream after 2 albums with Glass Harp and became a pioneer in the Christian rock genre. I have a live album from his west coast tour in 1977 or 1978 and the guy was mindblowing. I saw him live last year and the guy still smokes. If you can find an album in the used music stores called "How the West Was Won" with Phil and a band called The second Chapter of Acts" buy it. It's worth the cost just for his tracks. Or his best electric album' date=' IMHO, is Crimson and Blue. I know what you are thinking, it can't be good because it's Christian music. I guarantee you Phil Keaggy is the best guitarist you've never heard of. His more recent stuff uses alternate tunings, double capos and looping to accomplish some really amazing things.

[/quote']

He has been one of my personal favorites for years. One of my favorite albums is "The Master and The Musician." He is one of the best all around guitarist ever, electric, classical or slide. He just smokes. I've seen him a couple of times in concert and he is amazing. He is still doing concerts so if you get a chance to see him, do yourself a favor.

THANK YOU' date=' Amino!!!

I was waiting for someone to mention Keaggy since it was started... Good ol Phil...

I believe Hendrix was once asked what its like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, and he said "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy"

The guy is absolutely excellent, I love his loop work... Guy pretty much writes a song on the spot with the loops...[/quote']

SoloTy,

I knew there had to be another Keaggyite out there. Imagine what he could do if he had all of his fingers!

In case you didn't notice he is missing half of his middle finger on his right hand. And he still does all that fingerpicking stuff!

On a DVD my friend had PK was asked about that Hendrix quote and he humbly played it down as an urban legend. Who knows??

I had the pleasure of meeting him last year (he's the little guy on the right, I'm the guy with his eyes shut.. in every picture I take!)

The concert was amazing. He sat down and talked with me and several others after the show just as if he knew us each personally.

AminoKeaggy.jpg

I just thought of another one that I had to add --- Sid McGinnis from the Letterman Show band. He's on the money night after night' date=' backing up musical guests in every genre and tearing it up with commercial intros and outros. Occasionally the band gets a chance to cut loose and you can hear just how good he (and the whole band) is. 'Nuff respect!

Felicia Collins is no slouch, either --- and she can SANG![/quote']

and before Sid it was Hiram Bullock who also was no slouch...but he did like using his flanger...for *everything* lol.

I saw Hiram Bullock a few years ago and he's really packed on some weight since his days in "The World's Most Dangerous Band" but still has some chops...he was also endorsing his "signature" "Cort" guitar along with Larry Coryell (another long-time fav of mine) which is kind of sad in a way but these guys gotta eat and pay rent so I don't begrudge them anything...I do think having a gig like that where every night you have to play with someone different and nail a lot of different styles is probably one of the most demanding guitar playing gigs...not like getting up night after night and playing your own half a dozen hits...I have a lot of respect for the TV bands and studio guys.

...and Al's your uncle

Phil Keaggy is from my area (or vice-versa) and a friend of mine's band used to open for Glass Harp on occasion. When I asked him about Phil my friend said that all Phil ever did was practice' date=' even when his band was on break. It shows![/quote']

PK still does occasional shows with Glass Harp.

His website has his show dates and tells if it is a solo acoustic show or with a full band.

He also has some podcasts on there. Check it out at www.philkeaggy.com

I saw him at 328 performance hall in Nashville around 94 or 95 with a full band. Not just any band either.

It was Chagall Guevera minus Steve Taylor. Phil Madera, Lynn Nichols, Dave Perkins. A first rate show!

I met him the first time that night and got his autograph. It was so loud that I really didn't get to say much other than "thanks for the autograph" so it was really gratifying to meet him and talk with him last year.

Archived