Gibson Brands Forums

Epi g-310 and EMG ZW (Zakk Wylde) set?

Stanislas

Hi, everybody. I'm new at forum. Okey. I bought my epiphone g 310 last year and I wonna change pickups to EMG zw set. Did anybody do this? Particularly I'm interested in changing it myself. Please tell what you know about it.

Thanks

The EMG 81-85 sets are active pickups, which means they need a battery (well, they're funtional without a battery,but there's no point in spending $250 on pickups that you aren't going to get the most out of). The problem is that you'd need to rout out a hole in the back of the guitar for the battery compartment. It MIGHT be possible (I haven't seen the wiring cavity of a g-310) the have the battery mounted inside the cavity without the big obtrusive compartment, but that would require rewiring the pickup set themselves, and then you'd have to take off the pickguard every time you needed to change the battery.

It's not impossible, but it's something that you almost certainly need to consult a tech about. And either modification is going to cost a lot.

Good luck!

There's no nice way to say this...... a G310 isn't worth putting those pickups in! It's just a case of the pickups being worth more than the guitar IMHO. I'd suggest a hot set from GFS....no active electronics to worry about either.

Thanks guys. But I thought there's enough space for the battery in the potentiometer's place. As for prices, guitar costs $400 and pickups - $185. I read some articles about guitar sound and there were said that a new electronics could increse sound quality.

Archived