Gibson Brands Forums

G400 questions

SG1973

ok, i've got a really bad case of gas, and I've narrowed my choices down to the Alpine white G400 and the flametop sunburst G400. There's $100 difference in price. I assume the extra $ for the flametop is just that, the flametop, am I correct? Also the flametop looks to have the green tuners, and the alpine has the grovers. I have no exprerience with these(green). I like the look, but do they hold tune as well? Also, I was wondering why the Alpine White g400 is always listed seperately from the red/black. Seems to me that all the $299 g400's would be listed together, but shown in different colors.

I'm sure the price difference is for the top. I had an Epi LP many years ago, and the green keys did not seem to hold tune as well as the Grovers. Just my experience.

Are you sure they were green key tuners? I thought that Grovers were now standard.....if you saw a pic of the guitar somewhere, I am wondering if they used an old photo...

ok' date=' i've got a really bad case of gas, and I've narrowed my choices down to the Alpine white G400 and the flametop sunburst G400. There's $100 difference in price. I assume the extra $ for the flametop is just that, the flametop, am I correct? Also the flametop looks to have the green tuners, and the alpine has the grovers. I have no exprerience with these(green). I like the look, but do they hold tune as well? Also, I was wondering why the Alpine White g400 is always listed seperately from the red/black. Seems to me that all the $299 g400's would be listed together, but shown in different colors.[/quote']

Green tuners - You may or may not get a guitar with the Vintage green style tuners, they are using pics they got from Epiphone. I put a set of Grover Vintage Green Keys on my G-400 cause I like the looks of them. The original tuners were fine, but I just wanted the greens. If you get one with the greens my guess is they will work just fine. I have never had a problem with any of the Epi tuners.

As far as the colors, the white with humbuckers is a limited edition. Epiphone doesn't have it on their site. The big 3, I guess you can tell where I'm from, are offering them and no one else. When the white ones are gone they will still have the cherry and black. Maybe it's less work keeping their web pages up, I dunno.

I swithced my LP's tuners to Gibson Vintage green keys, and they hold tune exactly the same. The only change was asthetic. Although Epiphone's green keys may suck, I don't know.

But I believe that it's just an old pic, as Grovers are standard on all new Epis, as already stated...

Archived