Gibson Brands Forums

7 String Epiphone Les Paul Classic. Now these look sharp.

V-Type

ENC7.jpg

I ran into this a few days ago. I want a 7 string for some ambient stuff and more versatility at times. But I dont like the Over Metal look of many available 7 strings.

This Epiphone Classic 7 string is Exactly what I want. Classic looks Modern capabilities.

Oh man why they dont offer these now yet offer Goths and Prophecys is beyond me.

Now to track a used one down I suppose.

Just curious. but why are the 7 strings resurfacing all of a sudden?

For years, there were only a handful of players and unless you can

do a Lenny Breau style tuning with the 7th string being a high "A".

( 5 half steps (frets)over the high E),

about the only thing thats different is the 7th string being a bass "B",

tuned (5 half steps) lower than the low "E".

](*,)

Lenny Breau had a custom thinline electric 7 string with 4 tuning pegs on the treble side,

and played it like a piano.

He mentioned that a lot of stuff he played on the 7 string was "technically

impossible" with two things going on at once, melody and accompaniment

on the three bass strings. He was a master at chordal harmonics.

in his case, the 7th string was on the high side, which makes sense for his style of playing,

more avant garde jazz. The disadvantage was that the 10 guage E string was tuned quite a bit higher and prone to breakage and wearing out more often. This didn't seem to bother him.

here's the typical 7 string tunings:

Bass ....... Treble

7 6 5 4 .....3 2 1

7 String Rock B E A D ......G B E

7 String Jazz A E A D ......G B E

7 String Hunter A D A D ......G B E

Bass ......Treble

7 6 5.......4 3 2 1

7 String Breau E A D ......G B E A

Just curious. but why are the 7 strings resurfacing all of a sudden?

They're not. This phenomenon peaked in about the year 2000, and Squier, Yamaha and Epiphone etc. all had a bunch of seven-string models... all of which have long vanished. It's pretty much just Ibanez and LTD that still make these beasts, and they'll probably drop them eventually too.

This phenomenon peaked in about the year 2000' date=' and Squier, Yamaha and Epiphone etc. all had a bunch of seven-string models... all of which have long vanished. It's pretty much just Ibanez and LTD that still make these beasts, and they'll probably drop them eventually too.[/quote']

Plenty of makers still making seven-string guitars. To name a few: B.C. Rich, Caparison, Carvin, Dean, Music Man. Schecter offers quite a wide range of them comparable to Ibanez and even presented new models for this year. It's hard to find a 7-string jazz box though... :-(

Archived