Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker 2 and P-94 Combo, sounds great!

stumblinman

Hey guys, just wanted to drop a line to say my pickup upgrade in my LP100 is complete and I am more than ecstatic with the results. BB2 in bridge and P-94 in neck is a great combination. The BB2 is just hot enough to give that good, gritty yet singing distortion, and the P-94 makes the neck and both positions smooth and sweet. The creme/chrome combo also looks nice with the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Also, Grover tuners were a nice upgrade to it as well.

Got the guitar back from Epiphone a few weeks ago. I had a posting on old forum about Customer Service and Epi's lifetime warranty. It took them almost a month to get me a new guitar after they received mine and declared it their fault. I had my Grovers and the Burstbucker still in it when I sent it back, and they removed both and lovingly packed them up and shipped them inside the box of my replacement axe. I have to say, I was VERY impressed with their service, as well as the tone of this guitar compared to my old one. My first LP100 was made in 04, and it was muddier sounding, with less sustain than the new one. Even the stock pickups on this one were better, but nowhere near the new one built in October of 07. Better quality all around.

But I digress, I started this post to talk pickups. If anyone is looking for a good combination of rock/blues with bite AND warmth, I highly recommend BB2 Bridge and P-94 neck. Thanks again and keep strumming!

• 5 weeks later...

So, tell me about this P-94. I have seen photos, and read (a little) about them, but never chatted with anyone that owns/uses one.

It's still "single coil," right? Does it have the notorious noise or "hum" of a P-90! I have heard some complain, that P-94's are

too hot..."harsh/piecing," I believe were the words. But, as I said, I have never heard one, so that may or may not be true.

Does it have the "roundness" and "quack" of a P-90? I can see, that if it's similar in tone, it would be a great choice, for the neck

position, especially. Anyway...just curious.

CB

Sounds like a good combo, StumblinMan.

After seeing the Gibson BFG I wanted to try the BB/P90 combination in my own LP.

My guitar budget is limited so I got a similar of combination of GFS pickups, a Crunchy PAF and a Mean 90, for my LP Custom and I'm as happy as I can ever be. The Mean 90 has the P90 "roundness" and "quack", with an option for a lot of bottom end. It's not a real P90 but close and I like the tone (and I have the '57 Junior with the real P90 when I need it).

The hotter PAF sounding pickup is a good match for the aggressive (round and clean if needed) neck pickup.

Me likey.

(btw; in this case I don't mean to endorse the GFS pickups, just the hb/p90 combination)

Wow, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I haven't been around the computer much lately. It doesn't really have much of a hum, but there is a slight one. The P-94 isn't harsh at all, it's very smooth and buttery and melodic actually. But I also have it in the neck, so I can't comment on it in the bridge position. As far as what was wrong with my old guitar, it was manufactured too short of scale, so the G string was always sharp, even with the bridge saddle all the way back. Also, I'm not necessarily endorsing only the Gibson pickups, just the cool tone combination of the two, separate and together. I've heard great things about GFS Pups, but I ran out of holes to stick pickups in hehe. So I just started this thread to make a statement about a cool pickup combo.

Glad to hear, it's not too noisy. Sounds like it's close, anyway, to a P-90

in tone? I love P-90 tone, but hate the noise. All my P-90 guitars have

been sheilded, and that helped quite a bit! But, with any overdrive it's pretty

noticable, again. So, I was curious, if the P-94's were similar, or better,

that way? It's not really that big of a deal...certainly at performance

levels...and their's always a noise gate. I just prefer quiet or the

"noiselessness," of humbucker's or "noiseless" single coils. Personal prefernce,

I guess?

Thanks, for the input.

CB

Hey guys' date=' just wanted to drop a line to say my pickup upgrade in my LP100 is complete and I am more than ecstatic with the results. BB2 in bridge and P-94 in neck is a great combination. The BB2 is just hot enough to give that good, gritty yet singing distortion, and the P-94 makes the neck and both positions smooth and sweet. The creme/chrome combo also looks nice with the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Also, Grover tuners were a nice upgrade to it as well.

Got the guitar back from Epiphone a few weeks ago. I had a posting on old forum about Customer Service and Epi's lifetime warranty. It took them almost a month to get me a new guitar after they received mine and declared it their fault. I had my Grovers and the Burstbucker still in it when I sent it back, and they removed both and lovingly packed them up and shipped them inside the box of my replacement axe. I have to say, I was VERY impressed with their service, as well as the tone of this guitar compared to my old one. My first LP100 was made in 04, and it was muddier sounding, with less sustain than the new one. Even the stock pickups on this one were better, but nowhere near the new one built in October of 07. Better quality all around.

But I digress, I started this post to talk pickups. If anyone is looking for a good combination of rock/blues with bite AND warmth, I highly recommend BB2 Bridge and P-94 neck. Thanks again and keep strumming![/quote']

Eeewwweee, pics please

I'm getting a set of Fralins in.. with the hum cancelling p90 pup they have now. and will review it when I do.

I love P90s but I sure could do without the noise..

but I hate to lose any highs or upper mids, too..

have to wait and see.. but right now, the Kent Armstrongs do it for me in both my epis.

this Fralin will go in the neck position of a tele thinline with a bucker in the bridge.

TWANG

I just got an epi les paul with a burstbucker 2 in the bridge. I added a Seymour DUncan 59 in the neck and it sounds absolutely amazing. The stock epi pickup in the neck was a joke in comparison. Guitar is a '96 Samick Les Paul Standard and the neck pickup had "Sam Sung" stamped on the bottom so maybe it wasn't even an epiphone one.

Anyway, it absolutely sings now O:)/

Stevani, isn't that BB2 sweet sounding? Vintage growl and chime at the same time. I'll just stand and play E chords just to listen to it. No songs, just basking in the tone lol. As far as the P-94, my favorite way to use it is either clean with both pickups in use to give it a little bite to match it's buttery sound, or by itself with overdrive/distortion with the tone rolled all the way off, it's got a sweet fuzzy quack to it like that. It almost reminds me of a wah pedal rolled back all the way to your heel, but with more definition and less mud. As far as pics go, Bakz, I will try my best to figure out how to post them, as I must have to upload them somewhere I assume? I have no clue how to do that. Twang, what kind of Kent Armstrongs are they? Not really familiar with those.

Archived