Gibson Brands Forums

hey marshallized VJr guys!

wpkg

to those of you who have done the marshall mods to your valve juniors, how close would you say they come to the sound of something like a JCM 2000? not the volume of course, but the tone.

i played through one of those for the first time last night, and have to say I really liked it alot. the dirt and the cleans. which is funny cause most of the marshall demos i see on various sites play music i dont really like too much so I always had a so so view of those amps...

I think i just might need me a nother VJr head! #-o

Hey WPKG,

I did the Marshall mods my first EVJr and I have to say I find mine to be more of a cross between a cranked JTM and JCM800 - adding a 500k master will help give it a bit more gain, but I find the characteristic of the gain to be a bit more vintage than those JCM2000 models.....

Hope that helps - curious to hear what others feel on this one...........

Definitely plexi-like. There aren't any clipping diodes in the front of a Vjr, nor are there as many tube gain stages. Love it for what it is...a great little, low-cost, single-ended, 5 watt tube amp. Lots of pedals will give you SS front end distortion.

So, what are these Marshall Mods you guys are talking about?

I've got one BitMo Trio modded head that I am quite pleased with but I am starting to scope out my next project for "Channel 2":d/

I'm thinking something with a little more gain might might be a good next step. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thx.

That would be something like using 1uF/25v caps for C3 and C4 to tighten up the bottom end in the preamp stages and 1000uF/35v for C5 to help tighten up the el84's bottom end. Then you switch a 100k in parallel with R6 to get a massive overdrive. The BitMo tone makes for a more Fendery Blackface tone, IMHO, so if you alternate between the 100k or the Bitmo tone over R6, it makes for some nice contrast to the switchable flavors your amp can produce. This may already be a Bitmo mod, I don't know, but if it isn't, it should be. You can accomplish this dramatic feat with a simple push-pull pot and not have to drill a new hole.

Gil...

Archived