Gibson Brands Forums

Amazing Inlay Work (Sheraton content)

Parabar

Check out this link --- Larry Robinson is a Northern California artist who does mind-blowing inlay work. The Jerry Garcia Sheraton below is just the beginning ...

Very nice work. I'm sure that Jerry Garcia would be....um.. "greatfull". #-o

I'm doing some pearl inlays on my project guitar fingerboard/headstock right now,

and I can appreciate the skill, patience and the tools required by these artists

to do this kind of work.

I'm sure that a beautifully decorated Sheraton like this will be worth more in the

future as collectors item.

Very nice work. I'm sure that Jerry Garcia would be....um.. "greatfull". #-o

I'm doing some pearl inlays on my project guitar fingerboard/headstock right now' date='

and I can appreciate the skill, patience and the tools required by these artists

to do this kind of work.

I'm sure that a beautifully decorated Sheraton like this will be worth more in the

future as collectors item.

[/quote']

are you absolutely certain that's Jerry Garcia and not the Epiphone Forum's very own Jerry Mac??? I don't know...looks a lot like the guy in the Trini Lopez photo with Senior Trini...personally unless it's a Martin D-100 I'd rather not have a lot of glitz and chintz on my guitars. $500 worth of inlay work on a six hundred dollar guitar also doesn't make a lot of sense to me....and it's never going to be worth more as a guitar than a used Sheraton...unless the artist dies and his work becomes very desireable and then its value will be as art not as a guitar...and Larry Robinson is one of the top inlay artists around so in this instance it is worth more being a Larry Robinson work than being an Epiphone Sheraton..

...and Al's your uncle.

are you absolutely certain that's Jerry Garcia and not the Epiphone Forum's very own Jerry Mac???

I don't know $500 worth of inlay work on a six hundred dollar guitar also doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

and it's never going to be worth more as a guitar than a used Sheraton...unless the artist dies and his work becomes very desireable and then its value will be as art not as a guitar...

...and Al's your uncle.

Well it's hard to say Uncle Al. These days there are a lot of people out there willing to pay big bucks for even..a

bit of snowbank from Montreal, as advertised on E-B*y. Ok, the money(over $10K final bid) went to some charity,

and I'm sure that the successful buyer would get a tax receipt to ease the his financial pain, but it just goes to

show that 5 to 15 years from now, that "personalized' Sheraton is probably going to fetch some serious coin

on E-Bay...especially anyone whos a die hard Grateful Dead fan and can play it.

As far as Larry's other works of art, he is definitely one of the finest (maybe even the finest)

that I have seen. The PRS Dragon (dragon abalone on fingerboard) is list at $28,000,

so I doubt that you can get much for a few hundred bucks these days.

Any custom work of quality like that is probably going to cost big bucks. But the drawback

is you can't go public with it, unless you keep your hands on it at all times!

If the work has value, it matters not the canvas, save that it be of long life and serve it's purpose.

It won't make the guitar play or sound better except by that irksome human emotional connection, but it increases the value of the guitar

marketwise, as well as heartwise.. that would be the purpose of the tribute and the primary reason for wanting it.

So if one is not hurt and the other has value.. both being terribly subjective as we all know.. I wouldn't mind paying for a guitar with work like that.

After all, I'm playing a sheraton for the rest of my life to start with!

and I am glad I saw those q parts knobs on their. I have gold dome knobs on mine, but I think I may have to GAS me a set of those!

If the work has value' date=' it matters not the canvas, ..(snip!)....

and I am glad I saw those q parts knobs on their. I have gold dome knobs on mine, but I think I may have to GAS me a set of those!

[/quote']

The other thing worth mentioning is the inspiration that one may get from owning a

guitar that has some connection to an artist that you listen to or try to imitate in some fashion.

Some people are willing to pay a lot for that connection, an actual guitar that the

artist played, and then signed before selling/donating it,

or a guitar that is beautifully decorated and may have a connection

(in some way) to the artist..especially if he's already gone.

Consider all the artist re-issues out there from the major manufacturers these days.

Are these re-issues going to be worth at least what the original asking price (even

if it seems inflated?)...only time will tell.

TWANG;

Your reference to "q parts" is not clear to me. What does it mean?

I bought the same abalone topped brass knobs from GFS for my Broadway.

Archived