Gibson Brands Forums

Help me decide...

Suicidehummer

I was cleaning the LP when I decided to take off the pickguard to see if I like it that way. I always thought that LPs were designed to have pickguards, and you should leave them how they were intended to be. But I think that without it, it looks unique, and more expensive, like a Gibson. Don't worry, there's pics!

pickguardLP002medium.jpg

pickguardLP001medium.jpg

pickguardLP004medium.jpg

pickguardLP003medium.jpg

I took the PG off my LP a few times but I was never able to keep it off for more than five minutes. I had the PG off on my old Samick LP but this one, I dunno, I find the PG adds to the LP vibe.

eliteLP1.jpg

It might have something to with the fact that it's not one of those uber-thick Korean pickguards... I admit they do like awfully clunky on an LP.

I'll say no pickguard, cos that top is so pretty, though that open screwhole might bug you, just knowing it's there.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has any credentials in visual art. It would be interesting to hear their thoughts on the pickguard's effect on the visual aesthetics of the instrument. I kinda like how the straight angle down the side adds some geometric stability to the curviness of the Les Paul in general, but i think that the light cream color is a bit too much with the brightness of the top itself. I dunno, like i said, it would be nice to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about!

I voted for the pickguard on, even with that good top. What hoobiepatrol said about the open screwhole, and I never could warm up to an LP without the pickguard.

Somewhat off-topic: What's with the DOD amp visible in the pictures? I thought they only made pedals.

Somewhat off-topic: What's with the DOD amp visible in the pictures? I thought they only made pedals.

That's a DOD 'Grunge' amp. About 15 watts, solid state, into an 8" speaker. I picked one of those up at a pawn shop myself a few years back. Nice amp with tons of distortion in the dirty setting (duh... whydoyathinktheycallit 'grunge'?)... I stuck an Eminence 8" speaker in mine (at which time I discovered that the stock speaker was actually okay, it just had a bad solder joint) and use it as a test amp in my shop. Lets you get a whacked out distorted tone without rattling the windows.

Oops, no, I think I'm wrong here, that amp looks like a more upscale DOD model, probably a G6R, aka Grunge with reverb. Nevermind... :)

Oh, and I kept it off, but that may change over time...

I had seen ones with and without, and I couldn't decide. They both look good, depending on the guitar. It's just that I've only seen limited edition Gibsons without it, (Other than the Classic Quilt top Epi) so I think it makes it look like a Custom Shop Gibson. And this guitar has always reminded me of a Gibson for whatever reason, so it only makes sense to me...

Archived