Gibson Brands Forums

Cannot play solos, cannot remember..what..

bluefoxicy

I can play back the solos from Paranoid and Iron Man in my head, but can't play them on the guitar. In fact, I can't even whistle them! It seems as soon as I try to produce the sound, I lose the thought, and can't remember how it goes!

What am I doing wrong here? Am I just a retard or something?

No, you are not a retard. It has taken me years to train my ear. Some people have no problem at it and some like me, have to really work at it. Do you know your scales? Here is the lick to Iron Man, using the A and D strings, power chords - root and 5th.

4-7-7-9-9---12-11-12-11-12-7-7-9-9

2-5-5-7-7---10-9---10-9--10-5-5-7-7

Sounds like you've got the "plateau syndrome blues". Time to stretch it out a bit...You rarely hit a solo just like the original anyhow - In fact it's rare that the original artist plays it the same everytime with exception to the hook. Let it fly...........J

Yeah, but I mean, I know how the notes go in my head. I can translate them to the fretboard, but as soon as I try I draw blank on the audio data. I forget how it sounds.

I'm using Troy Stetina's Fretboard Mastery for ear training. When I can do vocal leading again I'll get back to that; I blew out my voice singing, the mids and highs disappeared and the lows left were thin and weak. Kind of like overloading the tubes in your throat by about a dozen times.

Hahaha. I had and too a degree still have the Same issue with certain songs.

Songs Ive heard thousands of times yet when playing I get blank a certain solo points. Its like a stage fright type of reaction in a way. I found a metronome helps as well. But its tuff when you Need too hear a Rhythm for memories sake.

Also working on Memorizing Notes on the fretboard or fret board logic will help you over come this Dyslexia. Music theory is also a valuable tool.

Dont worry youre Not alone.

It's just I can physically handle the instrument at a higher level than I can mentally handle the notes I'm trying to play. I mean, I can't play Dragonforce, but I can get half the solo from Iron Man (thanks to a tab book) (I haven't memorized the tab for the other half) and I can play part of Welcome to the Jungle (never saw a tab, just listened once and played it back).

personally' date=' I would work on your rhythm playing, chord voicings, scales, and fluidity before expecting to play complex

solo lines well...you need to develop the framework before adding the details[/quote']

Working on all that stuff. Rhythm is HARD. Scales are a combination of memorization and ear training (hey if I know how it sounds and how the intervals work, I can loosely remember how the scale goes).

Fluidity is much less of an issue when I know the parts I want to play, and have played them several times. I want to be able to fluidly play the instrument though and that's just brute force mechanical practice.

It appears that you may have early-onset CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t), something that us older guys had to get used to later in life.

Seriously, though, I've often wondered to what degree the direct-from-the-brain-to-the-guitar thing is innate talent versus practice. Any thoughts?

you've only played for two months don't worry about it. you're wasting your time posting about it. I don't think there is any remedy for this, you'll just have to work it out yourself. but if you seriously forget how a song goes WHILE you're playing it, I don't know what to tell you. learning to play the guitar isn't all technicality and scales, you should try to 'get out more' musically. it seems like you're trying to rush stuff, just take it easy

if you do it enough times it'll become natural

I've been trying the direct guitar from brain linking for 20 some years now,and still have the same problems as bluefox

If I can hear it in my head I can play it but it just dries up somtimes,Like when I'm trying to shoot a vid to show you guys.LOL And yeah maybe its a part stage fright related,cause I'm really shy,so I try to challenge myself.

Its like an old girlfriend of mine used to say.

Fake it till you make it.

Hang in there bluefoxicy,It'll come to you.

since you're pretty new..

what do you just chord to..

you know.. play chords and maybe sing along a bit..

lots of tunes?

got lots of chords down?

do you do scales and modes?

ever? or just songs and solos?

play a nice scale.. E major from the low E all the way up to the highest note in the scale on your guitar and back down?

stuff like that?

Learn your chords before you try to shred... Get fluid with the chord changes.. Get to where all your fingers land in the right spots at the same time........without looking. Develop a sense of rhythm... There are too many guitarists out there who can play a million 16th notes, but can't play a 3 chord rhythm in 4/4 time... The larger your chord vocabulary gets, the more versatile you'll be all around.... Knowing your scales and the notes in the chords will add to your soloing skills..

And for the love of Pete, don't whine about it if you don't get it right away... Playing the guitar is hard work.. No one ever became a virtuoso in 2 months. And it might not happen in 2 years, either..

You're trying to train your hands and your brain something completely new... It's like learning a language, and learning to walk at the same time.. You want to be fluent and run straight out of the cradle...

Someone said you have to read something 11 times to begin to remember it. With music, you can multiply that exponentially. After all, you have to learn the language to be able to remember a phrase.

That said, you heard some good advice from the posts here. Work on scales and understand the theory of the music. Just learning a solo by rote is the same as memorizing for a test in school. When the test is over, you forget it. You need to lay down some basics.

Most of today's music is based on a few scales and modes. Major, Minor, Pentatonic, Mixolydian, and Phygian will get you the basics for almost anything you want to play in terms of popular music.

Relax, you haven't even celebrated your first birthday as a guitar player. When I was at the point you are, I was struggling to play greensleeves and camptown races out of a book my guitar teacher recommended.

Archived