Gibson Brands Forums

epi les pau vs paul reed smith tremonti

jillybooty

A friend of mine has an epi les paul and I just recently bought a prs tremonti. We are always arguying over whose is better. I would like you guys to give your unbiased opinion opinion. Meaning that this goes for people who have owned preferably both of these guitars and not people that are just die-hard epi or prs fans.

I have a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus as well as a PRS Tremonti SE. I'd say it's a tie. I did change the PU in both of 'm.

I have a slight preference for _my_ Epi. However, in this pricerange, I think it's pure luck if you end up with a good sounding piece of wood. I rate the workmanship slightly higher on the PRS. But overall the difference is marginal. Comparison with a Tremonti Pro will undoubtly yield a different outcome.

In the spirit of comparing apples to apples, I'm assuming you mean the PRS SE model. I've played the US Tremonti and several SE's although not the Tremonti SE. Now, which Les Paul does your friend have? Personally, I'd prefer the Epi to the SE due to the slightly wider frets. The fretwork on both are excellent especially with the newer Epis, though QA on the PRS fretwork gets the plus. I don't care for fixed bridges either, but the intonation on the PRS is the best I've ever seen. The Epi Tuneomatic will get the star here (if that is what your friend has). Electronics on the PRS is better, and doesn't require an upgrade. Most Epi owners do replace pickups some where, usually due to preference but occasionally out of necessity. A well rewired Epi, is hard to beat. I've been seriously looking at an SE Soapbar, good P90 guitars are hard to come by and the PRS is readily available at a great price. Still, all-in-all I'm going to agree with my friend Ricochet and say, it's a coin toss. How about some sound clips of you and friend jamming?

I've owned two Epi Les Pauls with i've upgraded with Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio pickups and also the

PRS Tremonti SE.

The only thing i did like better on the Tremonti is that it's made of mahogany with no slabs of Alder, as used on

Epi's in the past. Both are nice guitars.

Peter.

I dunno about the Tremonti, but techies got a Singlecut SE in Cherry he let me take down and plunk on, and I thought it was a hell of a guitar, especially through a Marshall he had there, I ran it straight with no stomps, and I thought it was remarkably similar in tone to my Epi. It was a bit of a chore to play though, but that was probably the strings, they were kinda heavy. Their about the same in price, so I rekon you can't go wrong with either one, they both RIP!

I have owned and played several LP's through the years, both Gibsons and Epi's.

I have never been dissatisfied with any of them.

I currently have an Elitist LP VS Studio that is just a killer.

I like the looks of a sunburst, flametop LP. It is just classic art to my eye.

The Tremonti looks like a LP but it does not feel like one.

The scale is different but you get used to it after a few minutes of playing.

I don't own a Tremonti but I have a buddy who has both the US and SE Tremonti.

I have played both and obviously the US is light years better in fit, finish, tone etc.

but for $4000 usd it darn well better be.

The SE Tremonti felt lighter and a little cheaper in the neck area.

Pickups were "Duncan Designed" and sounded okay but it certainly is not a worse guitar than a Epi LP.

It all comes down to what you like.

There are many high quality LP style guitars to choose from these days including the Epiphone LP.

While not the Tremonti model, I do have a PRS Singlecut SE in Whale Blue. The PRS is lighter but still has great tone and sound bridging that gap between the classic LP sound and the classic Strat sound. The neck feels a bit wider than the LP although not so much different as when you pick up a Strat. I think my PRS plays a little easier than my LP, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't give up either one for any reason but when I close my eyes and think guitar, my mind just brings up pics and thoughts of the LP.

IMG_0317.jpg

Hey guys! just stabbed myself with the (New!) PRS SE Custom semi-hollow..in red..of course! Metalic Flake candy Red!!! You can't see the figure or grain.

This is an incredible instrument. Owning several (6) guitars; the Clapton blackie is my Swiss Army knife. The gibson Les Paul Std and the ES-339, well, they are so very special and expensive even for myself. And even the Epi Dot Gibsonized with '57 Classic and Classic Plus a-la ES-335 saved me enogh money to go in a trip and visit (guess what?...) Gibson! up in Tennessee....one day... But this guitar is now my #1, the SE...i call it.

P2050005.jpg

This guitar (the SE)caught my eye just as i received my recent ES-339 from MusicansFriend. I'm very pleased with the 339. But then i saw the SE Semi-Hollow in a magazine I thought: "Wow, looks like another $1,500-$2,000 beauty, but it's a PRS...." (I wasn't a PRS guy) Then after a Google search into the SE semi-hollow i found it takes just $600, - free shipping..".well- i Pulled the trigger. Later...

I received it few days later and could not beleive my eyes and hands. This is a great smooth guitar. A perfect example of the XXI (21) Century guitar tech at it's best. Feel, weight, balance, sound, craftmanship. I could go on and on. No matter the settings in the guitar or amp.The SE is 100% silent. (No humm, fizz, nothing) I often think it's OFF. The SE has no frills, no extras, fancys, bling, none of that. Just PURE TONE. Now, ALSO, you get the hollow sound. This guitar sounds also like the hollow bodied Telecaster that Steve Winwood uses in the 2007 Crossroads DVD(with Clapton and others) ("Can't Find My Way Home") which sounds like it has nylon stings... But the SE can also rip and distort like nothing else. I just raised a bit my pups in the SE. This is the first guitar that i have do no real changes or alterations/mods...I'll leave it like it is for at least a year, then maybe change the strap, and get new strings. It comes with XL110 DiMazzio nickels, which are perfect.

Google search yielded about the 2000 LawSuit Gibson laid on PRS and LOST. Gibson appealed and the Supreme Court refused to review it. Also, about the hardships Mr. P.R Smith went though when Carlos Santana didn't know about the PRS's (other) expensive models...but finally got it...and stuck. No wonder....Lately, Mr. Santana requested PRS to make a more affordable PRS guitar, and they made the SE line (in Korea). Anyway, maybe you all should try this one SE (semi-hollow) because it's so special from the other SE's (they make other SE models)but they don't seem to carry many of this one at the stores locally.

Well you're at an epiphone website so as for the unbiased opinions I don't know if you'll get alot but here's my 2 cents. I've played some PRS guitars and the Epi LP Line. All had great tone and played pretty well but I personally liked the LPs better because when I think of really great guitarists more than 80% of the time the people that I think of play LPs. Thats what made the final decision for me. Arguing over which is better between the two, although fun, is like arguing which is a better muscle car the 69 camaro or the 69 mustang. In truth it really comes down to personal feel.

I just recently bought a prs tremonti.

Well, you don't specify whether it's an SE or a US model, so, it's impossible to answer this question definitively; however, from all I've seen and heard, I would pick the PRS over the Epi either way... unless it was an Elitist. [-X

Archived