Gibson Brands Forums

songwriter cutaway deluxe

richy3

I have played Gibson electrics for many years. I have an '80 Les Paul Custom and a '75 Flying V (also an Epi LP). I've been narrowing down my choices for a new high end acoustic for several months now. I believe that a dreadnought shape best suits my playing style. I like cutaways and I want onboard electronics. My final two choices have come down to the beautiful Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway and the classic Martin DC-28E. Tell me why I'm better off with the Gibson.:)

Check my sig....

Can't help you Richy, I'm biased......obviously.

Strummer's answer is the best you can get here in my opinion. Not because we won't be honest.....I mean, everyone here can answer The Gibson and then provide an unending list of reasons.....they'll all be honest answers.

But, when it comes to guitars, doesn't it all come down to tone, feel, appearance ?:-k

Of course it's good advice to say buy the one that feels and sounds the best and I appreciate it. What I probably should have mentioned is that I'm left handed. That means that I really can't go to Guitar Center and play the heck out of these two instruments and come up with an educated opinion. That's why I really would appreciate it if you guys could give me an "unending list of reasons" why the Gibson is better-if it indeed IS better. I know that it certainly looks better. I see that the Martin is a 1 11/16 width at the nut and Gibson is fractionally larger at 1.72 or so. Is the Gibson a good strummer AND fingerpicker? Any further input would be great. thanks

Okay. So we don't get off easy !

You have introduced new information that explains the dilemma further. I re-read your original post and I thought about what brought you to purchase the Les Paul and the V ? Did you compare these to other manufacturers, or did you purchase them because they were cool? I am not intending to be harsh, but rather truly curious. Regardless of the reason, it seems reasonable to assume that you like both models (the LP and V). So, you already have experience with and an opinion of Gibsons.

Now, take mine. I have not played an acoustic that even comes close to a Gibson. Now, the models I have played, for any appreciable time, would be limited to the expanse that you find in any large or small music store or owned by anybody you happen to know. This would include Martins, Taylors, Fenders, Guild, Yamaha, Alvarez, Ibanez, et. al I have not found a single one to come close to Gibson tone or feel.

Again, it comes to a personal choice. If you are looking for a personal instrument, one that has its own personality and that will be unique from any other (even ones of the same model), buy the Gibson. If you are looking for a reliable instrument that sounds exactly like the one next door, buy the Martin. In your case, the two comparisons have nothing to do with quality.....they are both very well-made guitars.

It comes down to that personal thing again....Sorry, just can't get around it. O:)

Good Luck !

Very wise words. What drew me to Gibson electrics almost 30 years ago? I believed then and believe now that they are the worlds best solid body electric guitars, particularly the Les Paul. I guess in those days (at the risk of oversimplifying and leaving out some other worthy makers) you were Gibson or Fender just like my father's generation was either Chevy or Ford. I just don't know if my faith in this venerable brand extends to acoustics to the degree that it does electrics. Martin invented the dreadnought shape, the X brace, the 14 fret neck, etc. It's tough to compete with that but I do know and respect the fact that Gibson acoustic fanciers are extremely passionate and insistant that they surpass the Martins in tone and "personality". From what I can see, the Gibsons are beautifully made and, from the little I've been able to play them, they're like butter. So, my mind is wide open.

Archived