Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty or Custom ?

stereohigh

I tried out the BB and the custom today through one of these new green avt Marshalls, the BB sounded quite muddy although I admit all the guitars tried were a little muddy through the amp, and the custom had the more pleasing sound.

However on you tube I have just heard some great clean and distorted tones coming out of the BB, so now I am confused as what guitar to buy. Can anyone direct me to a guitar magazine review of the guitar ?, what would you recommend out of the two ?

Does the BB have clarity when distorted when playing chords ?

are older epiphones made in Korea that much better than the Chinese ones, as this is what the guitar guy told me

cheers everyone, I have a Fender Jag right now and I am looking for a new guitar to broaden the range of my sound.

I use a spider amp and a danelectro pedal that makes the guitar sound backwards,a snarling dogs wah, and a big muff distortion.

heres my band,although most of these were recorded using my old Danelectro dc 59 which I am selling at the moment.

the reissues of these are rubbish but the old 90`s ones are great.

Oh and one last thing, has anyone see the epiphone "old black" Neal Young guitar, I am totally into that sound at the moment and I think I am drawn to the BB and custom as they have a similarity.

???

Our Dutch friend was confused about the "BB" reference thinking that a "BB King Lucille" was played through a Marshall in the original post not a "Black Beauty". BB does/ or did use Gibson Lab Series amps (I think it was an L5 or L7) and Fender Twin Reverbs.

...and Al's your uncle.

Having recently sold my LP Custom (Ebony) to buy a Black Beauty....

I must say this:

1) The BB has sooooooo much more definition on all pickup settings (at least the one I got 'MIC')

2) The BB is slightly smaller in lengthand width... and looks heaps better with the 'macked' out look of having 3x Humbuckers

3) From what I read... there are simple mods that can be carried out that will improve the muddiness and other factors

The Black Beauty is a great guitar, it sounded amazing on lead but on distorted chords it didnt seem to have the definition of the custom,maybe it will be just a case of changing pick ups. I like the silver finish Black Beauty, I have been offered one for 250 but I am torn on what to get

I need to sell this old Danelectro guitar as well, its one of the reissues from the 90`s, much better than the new ones, and they seem to go for a fair amount on some of the dano sites, but its quite a fickle retro market. the dc 59 was used by page but I am sure he probably had it customized

Well I am now bidding on a custom and a bigsby and so hopefully I should have what I need very soon

links to old black and the replica...

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm

epiphone LE 56 black "gold top" w/ P90s:

56 goldtop in ebony:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-1956-with-P90s-Reissue?sku=512584

485894.jpg

I suspect someone over-enthusiastically referred to this as an "old black" model...

but I might be wrong...although I'm pretty certain an actual bigsby, P90 / firebird (the other

PU, right?) old black model would have been discussed on the old forum and made an an

appearance...

I think if you already have a regular 2-pickup Les Paul....... then it would be really cool to get a Black Beauty to add to your arsenal.

But otherwise....... just get a regular Les Paul Custom.

Having said that..... I LOVE my Black Beauty more and more everytime I play it!

DSC02489.jpg

THat's what I thought... but having had it next to my old 2x HB Custom... the BB is a good centimetre less than the regular Custom....

The question here is, is that a difference between the Custom and the Black Bowtie or is it a difference between two manufacturers? Are they both Unsungs, or Saeins, or QingDaos? Because if they come from different plants, it's not out of the question that the dimensions will vary a bit. Remember that none of the Epiphones are particularly exact replicas of the Gibson prototypes, except perhaps for the Elitists.

Oh, BTW, that Chinese guy, Confucius... his name is a noun; when you add that 'o' to it you make it look like an adjective.

Yeah I think a BIGSBY is very much on the cards' date=' a B7 is the one everyone says to get, but I quite like the B5.

The custom is wining now, and I am not sure a black beauty with a bigsby would look as good[/quote']

Gibson made some limited editions earlier this year, Jimmy Paige Black Beauties with B7s, all sold out before they were even available. Personally I think the B7 would look better than the B5, but that is just me. I thought they looked pretty sharp, but then I couldn't afford the 6 grand for one of them anyhow.

no me neither' date=' but I can afford to get an epi and mod it, although I might pay for the bigsby to be put on professionally.[/quote']

They really aren't that hard to do, I did one on my Dot and I love it. I'm at work now and I don't have the site bookmarked, but there is a you tube video of some one installing a B-700 on Dot studio. Gotta go I got kids coming in for guitar club.

The question here is' date=' is that a difference between the Custom and the Black Bowtie or is it a difference between two manufacturers? Are they both Unsungs, or Saeins, or QingDaos? Because if they come from different plants, it's not out of the question that the dimensions will vary a bit. Remember that none of the Epiphones are particularly exact replicas of the Gibson prototypes, except perhaps for the Elitists.

Oh, BTW, that Chinese guy, Confucius... his name is a noun; when you add that 'o' to it you make it look like an adjective.[/quote']

nope.... they were both Epi, Both Qingdao... both 2007 (one in July one in September)

Don't ask me, I just work here

Archived