Gibson Brands Forums

Upgrade with better pickups

lostindesert

Since I changed to the Vox AD50VT I am really impressed by the presence of my sound. Even the low strings have a breathiness and high end presence. What I think I am hearing is the range of the SD pickups better expressed by the VOX.

Even with headphones it was hard to hear much but subtle differences on Seymours Website. I listened through Sony 7506 heaphones, too. And, Yes, I finally went with the accolades expressed by Peraly Gates users when I finally made a buying decision.

Pickups and amplifier matches probably make a difference. Some pickups through some amplifiers maybe just don't shine. If you are lucky enough to get the right combination you will be happy. John Fogerty said in an interview that he was one of the few that got great sound from Kustom amplifiers in the 70's (and he did). I played through some Kustom stacks back then and wasn't impressed. If you have heard his new CD "Revival". you've heard some great sounds from his axe. I listened to it last night for the first time and was impressed. I could hear some compression, but the growl and harmonic overtones were superb. He has found the sound...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the most part I agree with your post. Just one sidenote. From what I understand "Duncan designed" is just what it says. Designed' date=' not made by SD. Now I happen to like real Seymour Duncans, so I just wanted to make sure you made a fair assumption.:-)[/quote']

yep. the less expensive duncan aint so hot.

I sent back a set of p bass pups that dimarzios just totally flat out blew away for not much more money.

TWANG

If you've never heard of them' date=' then how do you know it's not an upgrade? Or do you judge the quality of a product by how light it makes your wallet feel?

With that line of reasoning, how do you justify owning an Epiphone? It's not expensive, so it can't be any good...

[/quote']

But THATS what makes them so good is their affordability, I (gets on soapbox) personally think most Epiphone models are some of the best guitars out there, from regular production up to Elitists, although I've never seen the latter up close and personal, I'll take owners here on the forums word for that. That said, there's always room for improvement, I took mine, which was a great guitar, and made it even better, and I've only got MAYBE 150 bucks in it for mods ( I lucked out on the T-tops, and the TP6 and techies time, he cut me a break). And if elected, I promise an Epi on every guitar stand, and some pot in every chicken!!!! (Gets the hell off soapbox)

But THATS what makes them so good is their affordability' date=' I (gets on soapbox) personally think most Epiphone models are some of the best guitars out there, from regular production up to Elitists, although I've never seen the latter up close and personal, I'll take owners here on the forums word for that. That said, there's always room for improvement, I took mine, which was a great guitar, and made it even better, and I've only got MAYBE 150 bucks in it for mods ( I lucked out on the T-tops, and the TP6 and techies time, he cut me a break). And if elected, I promise an Epi on every guitar stand, and some pot in every chicken!!!! (Gets the hell off soapbox)[/quote']

Your preaching to the choir, G&F... I was using that statement to point out (with a hint of sarcasm) that just because something is less expensive, it doesn't automatically follow that it's of low quality..

Now get off that soapbox.. I need to take a bath!

Archived