Gibson Brands Forums

suggest a fretboard conditioner to use sparingly

dubstar

-Personally I use bore oil. It's made for wooden instruments like clarinets and you can get it at any music store that handles school band instruments. A couple drops on a piece of flannel or my fingertip does the whole fretboard. I leave it soak in for a few hours then wipe any excess off if there is any. After that a buffing with another piece of flannel and it's ready for restringing. I only do this about once a year. Rosewood has such a high content of natural resins, that's why it's dishwasher safe. Now that enviroment is way harsher than anyone playing their guitar.

L8R,

Matt D.

Gorgomyte. It's a fretboard cleaner distributed by GHS. You cut a 2" x 2" square and wipe your fretboard from top to bottom. Then take a clean cotton cloth and wipe (like an old t-shirt). Your fretboard will look brand spanking new.

The cloth has a combination of cleaners and lemon oil, so it's an all-in-one operation. A friend turned me onto it last year, and I swear by it for all of my guitars.

http://www.gorgomyte.com/

GHS.gif

Whenever I do a string change at the store, I usually go over the fingerboard and frets with some fine steel wool, removing any built-up grunge on the fingerboard and any tarnish from the frets; then I apply a liberal coat of lemon oil which I allow to soak in for a few minutes before wiping clean. If the fingerboard looks OK I won't bother; I only do this if the fingerboard is grungy, tarnished and/or appears dried out.

I've been using Dunlop 02, but I spilled it and had to clean it up (so much for gentle application). The fretboard sweat blood for 10 hours and I kept wiping it down. It got a deep red finish though.

I'd try tung oil mixed with a good lick of paint thinner, but only if I had the fretboard off (TAKING ONE OFF-- BAD IDEA). If I had bare guitar parts I'd actually want to try soaking a Mahogany neck in thinned tung, then in pure tung, and treat the freatboard the same.

Archived