Gibson Brands Forums

guitarfetish.com' gfs pick ups/ tuners.

evol04gt

not considering for the epi's... more for the univox, or future guitar projects such as a the fender thinline copy..... not looking for a "you get what you pay for" or anything like that just honest reviews from those that have used them...

thanks........... i couldnt tell you the diff of 490 OR 498 BUT i tell a crappy pick up..lol...

Well, seeing as there are so many variations of the Tele, with several different types of pickups, you really can't make a broad comparison... I'm just saying I really like the sound of my GFS pups... The neck pickup has depth, but it also has clarity and presence... No mud at all... The bridge pickup has all the bite and twang that you should expect from a Tele without being too thin, harsh or nasal... It's got balls..... for lack of a better word.

I also just installed the Fat Pafs in my epi LP classic. I just finished taking a careful look at some before-and-after recordings and there's defiantly a difference compared to stock. Essentially there's more volume and bit less treble. On center position chords have a bit more definition (you can hear individual strings). On bridge it's a little hotter, but perhaps a little darker tone. The neck pickup, for me, had the biggest difference with a warmer tone.

All in all to me it wasn't a -huge- improvement over the Epi stock pickups. The tone has been described as "ordinary" by more than one person, and I suppose I wouldn't say it revolutionized my guitar. However, if I could turn back time by a week I'd do it again...

Well, I've got the Big Mouth in the neck and the Loud Mouth in the bridge of my special, and I couldn't be happier with them. So happy, in fact, that I'll be going back for more soon. I've got 2 strats I need to fix up, one Squire affinity, which will end up with the Boston Blues single coils, and a Teleno strat which will sport a pair of the Lil Killer single coil sized humbuckers for neck and middle and Crunchy Rail humbucker in the bridge.

I put Vintage 59s in my Dot and my Sheraton and I am totally happy with them. I also have one of their P-90s in my '57 Junior RI and agin I am totally happy with it.

I did try a set of Dream 180s that I really didn't like, they just seemed to bland for my. I reaplaced them with Gibson Burstbuckers that smoke in my G-400.

I have used pots, switches, and orange drops from them and I have no complaints.

not considering for the epi's... more for the univox' date=' or future guitar projects such as a the fender thinline copy..... not looking for a "you get what you pay for" or anything like that just honest reviews from those that have used them...

...[/quote']

Well you could say it's the " luck of the draw" with these. You either like them or you don't.

Certainly SDs or Gibson's are worth the extra coin, if you want a certain sound and haven't

got time to experiment.

I'm more than happy with the Vintage 59s on the archtops. Reasonably close to the 57 classics,IMO.

As far as the others, I've only experimented the "FAT paf"..bridge and the "Crunch paf" bridge in

my EPi LP.

Nothing I would say as earth shattering with these as far as loudness, but certainly the tone

is there. I did an A/B comparision, between the stock bridge humbucker (HOT CH)

and the two GFS. I installed some Radio Sh*ack mini plugs and sockets, so I could

do a fast swap (1 minute) + tuneup time.

I found both the GFS FAT paf to have a warmer tone on the low end.

( I'm also using push-pulls to change the caps .022uf/.047uf on the go.)

I even swapped the bridge to the neck position, and it sounded ok to me there as well.

IMO, it's like buying the "chain merchandise" over the "name brands". If it's gotta be

Kr*ft Dinner for you, nothing else is as good.

They are fine as p_ups, but you have to do a lot more experimentation with them.

However, for the money, they are not a bad deal.

As far as tuners, I have a set of the chrome keystone "grover types) and

they are pretty smooth and the chrome is nice and bright. At $25, you

can't go wrong with them, IMO.

AS we speak I am waiting for a crunchy P A F for my epi les paul, and a mini bird for my 02 gibby firebird. I also have a dual blade LiL hottie in my squier 51 that I love. I don't know how Dave at guitarfetish does it, but for the $ you can't beat it. Buy the way i'm replacing a gibby 490 in my les paul,but I like my P Us hot and nasty. Try it you'll like it. Stan.

Archived