Gibson Brands Forums

Didn't Know This

JEPI

Just for grins I've been following this thread over at Gibson Forum...Sounds like us."Same bozos' date=' different bus???".WHATEVER.....lol.......J

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1809

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1809&p=2[/quote']

Silly me. I thought VOS stood for "Very Obvious Swindle"...that place frightens me...so many *experts*. You'd think that at any time the entire place could implode leaving nothing but the smell of freshly-aged (?) nitro-cellulose lacquer hanging in the air.

...and that's coming from someone a lot of you I'm sure had sussed for a Gibson freak.

...and Al's your uncle.

Yeah, and...when you listen to the Vinyl, CD, Tape (remember those?), i-pod, etc....you can't tell, what guitar it is, for sure!! Gibson, PRS, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, unless you KNOW already! Sure, they all have distinct sounds, but...with the right amp, and guitar settings,

you can mimic, pretty impressively almost any guitar "signature" sound. I've had my Telecaster, cranked, tweeked, and amped, to the point

I couldn't tell it (sound wise) from "Lucille!" So, in real practical terms, this comparison stuff, is just so much "mine's bigger/better than yours"

School yard Nonsense. But...don't tell the Marketer's that! How else, would they get us to buy all these wonderful guitars! Music store owners

love these types of "GAS" producing discussions! Guitars, pickups, custom parts, whatever!

Silly me. I thought VOS stood for "Very Obvious Swindle"...that place frightens me...so many *experts*. You'd think that at any time the entire place could implode leaving nothing but the smell of freshly-aged (?) nitro-cellulose lacquer hanging in the air.

...and that's coming from someone a lot of you I'm sure had sussed for a Gibson freak.

...and Al's your uncle.

Uncle AL, (hope you don't mind me calling you that), there are "experts" everywhere as you are aware. I'm sure you get a laugh when you read that a person states that his/her '90s EPI is better than anything Epiphone sells today. Or the pre pre lawsuit Silvertone that has better sound than new Gibby. I don't know how Epiphone or Gibson stay in business since neither builds anything worth while today according to the experts. 8-[

Its funny how many experts are out there on the internet.

Believe me, I know that there real experts on this site, you especially, Mr. JerryMac, RotocanX, to name a few that have a wealth of information to offer here at the EPI site. I'm personally still amazed at what you know and how helpful you are when people ask questions. A round of #-o to all of you.

The Gibson forum does have some very nice people that hang out there, and yes there are a few that scrape their noses when passing through a doorway, but you have to take them w/a grain of salt.

I do own a couple of Gibson's, so please don't hold that against me.

Keith Richards was quoted in an interview as saying, "Give me most any guitar and a few minutes and I'll make it sound like me." The discussion was about the various types of guitars he has been seen playing over the years. In a few songs, he used an acoustic in a studio with a microphone dropped inside. I think jumping jack flash was one of them. Then...he had to do it on stage with another guitar.

You can just about always tell a different scale.. but it's not always easy for everyone.

You can pretty much tell a bucker from a single coil..

until you start tossing in p90s and minis!

If you can hear paint you've got my applause, you Ferengi ba**rd!

can your epi sound like a gibson?

which one of which?

obvious answer is sure.

can your epi sound like every gibson?

well, probably not, you lunatic!

It seems to me there are two ways to go..

acceptance of all the statements. or attenuation of those statements..

while a good peice of wood is a good idea, a cheap piece may actually sound great!

many many details of instruments are like that.. great general rules.. which you tweak to your own ear.

spend more time on your ears, less time on opinion or dreams or hype.

for me the difference is only the big smile I get off my humble little epi studio.

Archived