Gibson Brands Forums

Another Surprising Discovery

IbbysB4Epis

As I have stated on this forum my Epiphone Dot Studio was…well…still is an OK guitar. It had severe intonation problems until I replaced the POS OEM ABR1 bridge with a Gotoh Standard TOM bridge that I had to modify so it would fit. While I had the bridge in my employer’s machine shop I put set screws in the sides so it would lock onto the posts. OK old news, Wow! What a difference that made! The intonation problems disappeared with an amazing improvement in tone, no vibration escaping in unwanted directions.

Now onto the purpose of the post, I finally bought the matching Stopbar Tailpiece. I had to modify it as well to fit. Again, while I had the tailpiece in my employer’s machine shop I put set screws in the sides so it would lock onto the posts. Wow! Another amazing improvement, I could hardly believe having a locking tailpiece would make that much difference. The faint resonation through out the body disappeared. The unplugged ring-out and sustain is just plain…******* amazing. Plugged in…this is not the same guitar I bought last June. $40 in parts and 2 ½ hours of my time with a Bridgeport Milling Machine…all I can do is shake my head and mumble WOW!

DottiesHardware002.jpg

DottiesHardware003.jpg

Archived