Gibson Brands Forums

$30 Preamp makes the VJ "Shine" and boosts the volume and gain too!

It'd be fun to build a tube-based pedal preamp that acts like a simple warm preamp (louder clean) or a Tube Screamer with a real tube.

It'd be really fun to have a hardware company that could just put up an open contest for products, maybe allow several users to collaborate on upgrades to products or new products. :s I love user-driven market models.

this tells me why the dynamics in my rp7 when using the 12ax7 preamp tube in it are so compressed..

100V at the plate the spec reads.

I have to say, it does sound tubey.. but it doesn't act that tubey.

Wish I could figure out how to juice that thing up.. maybe I'll just sell it. I'm getting tired of the efx anyway.

handy thing though.. really loaded. and for just playing at home.. nice features and sound compared to a s**load of the current stuff.

It'd be fun to build a tube-based pedal preamp that acts like a simple warm preamp (louder clean) or a Tube Screamer with a real tube.

That's basically what a tube driver is. It's currently in re-issue, for absurd money, and you can find both early and later production units on ebay all the time. The early models go for stupid money. Personally, I think a well-designed FET or op amp overdrive sounds better. FETs can make very convincing tube tones, as can asymmetrical clipping diodes.

That's basically what a tube driver is. It's currently in re-issue' date=' for absurd money, and you can find both early and later production units on ebay all the time. The early models go for stupid money. Personally, I think a well-designed FET or op amp overdrive sounds better. FETs can make very convincing tube tones, as can asymmetrical clipping diodes. [/quote']

+1. I've owned two of the rackmount units in the past, and ended up getting rid of them. They only sound so-so. I've tried the stompboxes numerous times and wanted to like them, but I just don't.

Having said that, here is link to a post that shows you how to roll your own:

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?t=1171

Still, I agree with m-theory, I'd suggest going to Jack Orman's site and building one of his boosters.

tung

I just got done jammin' with my ART TUBE (with it and without it) and I still say - it's not bad at all for $29. It works for both a volume boost and actually a gain boost - probably more than my V-mods. Gain is not a problem as it has plenty of gain but on clean (below 12:00 o'clock) the ART really boosts the volume nicely - say whatever you want - I recommend them for the small price they cost.

I understand what you're saying about what you're hearing with the mic pre as a boost, because any active signal booster will liven up a passive guitar signal. I'm not trying to knock what you're hearing or saying, but that mic pre really is neither the best device for that purpose, nor is it the cheapest.

About $10-$20 would get you a world class guitar booster, assuming you could handle a soldering iron with modest ability. I'm not sure what level of boost the minibooster provides (although probably around 25db or so), but the mosfet hammers out an amazing 35db, which is far more than enough to pound the snot out of V1 in any amp. If you want pure clean boost, there's none cleaner than the mosfet boost. If you want some gain with your boost, the minibooster adds a beautiful, meaty character to the boost. Both are outstanding. Build both into a BB box, and tickle your amp both ways!

I'm not lying when I say that more than one boutique pedal manufacturing company has been launched with one of these two boosters. I can think of three right offhand that are virtually household names amongst tone seekers, largely because of one or the other of these circuits. These boosters routinely sell for anywhere from $125 or so to around $200 for a reason. They're simply fantastic at what they do. That said, there are no mystical powers or magic pixie dust within that brand name box. There's nothing more than a tiny handful of simple, cheap components and a 9v battery, combined with quality workmanship and a clever marketing plan. I would urge any and all to build one for themselves, if a guitar boost is what you're looking for.

my problem is I'm NOT an electronics techie... I solder a lot but it's silver soldering using an Oxy/Acty torch (Air Conditioning). I'm Great with AC Currents - 110/220 - but electronics is a mystery to me. Wish I studied it more but now @ 56 I'm getting a bit "long in the tooth" and rely on other means to get "different sounds". I bought my VJ head already modded or it would probably still be stock (well I do know how to change tubes so the JJ tube swap wouldn't have been hard 'eh). I have a few old VINTAGE tube amps and my main one (my Avatar) is dead now - the Vintage Amp Forum guys are telling me they think maybe the Power Supply Trannie so I may attempt that - or maybe take it to my "local shop" who charges $75 an hour (ouch!).

I can understand that, and I can relate...I'm no EE myself. I just started tinkering with pedals some years ago, because it interested me. I'm just now, after numerous pedal builds, to start to recognize specific sections of a given circuit, and be able to make minor changes here and there to fine tune.

There's really no need to shy away from pedal building, however. There are several sites that actually offer complete kits, with everything needed, including an etched PCB board. All that's required is to mount the parts and solder them down. That's a great place to start. Build our own clone has a 3-way booster kit that includes a treble boost, a mosfet boost, and an LPB-1 clone (EH). It's a bit pricey, but would be an excellent addition for anyone, and would be a snap to put together.

Speaking of the EH LPB-1, that's a terrific, bargain priced boost pedal. It goes for $39 new, and could probably be had used for $20-$25.

As for amp repairs, that's a whole different world, and I leave all but basic re-tubing and biasing to my tech as well, other than my Vjr, which I only dove into with the able assistance of the trail blazers on this and other sites.

yeah, though I'm blaming my equipment a bit. I can hold the tip of my 25W iron for like 5 minutes no problem, while the fat iron shaft will burn my hand in like 30 seconds after plug-in cold. I'm ready to take the tip OFF and use the barrel directly to desolder things.

You definitely need an able iron to put these things together, no doubt! And, the smaller the tip, the better, too. I've had really good luck with the $17.99 40 watt Weller that Home Depot carries, with the included pencil tip. I also really like the 62/37/2 tutectic (sp?) solder in the very fine diameter, from Radio Shack. Combined, those make this work indescribably easier than clunking along with some unweildy, clumbsy iron and finger-thick 60/40 solder!

Thanks, I'll see if I can nab a Weller. Does it work for the inside of your guitar too? I can't melt that at all! (mine barely melts fresh solder off the roll though...)

It's bad enough silver-tin refuses to behave like real solder (it follows the tip) ... and I don't like lead.

I understand what you're saying about what you're hearing with the mic pre as a boost' date=' because any active signal booster will liven up a passive guitar signal. I'm not trying to knock what you're hearing or saying, but that mic pre really is neither the best device for that purpose, nor is it the cheapest.

About $10-$20 would get you a world class guitar booster, assuming you could handle a soldering iron with modest ability. I'm not sure what level of boost the minibooster provides (although probably around 25db or so), but the mosfet hammers out an amazing 35db, which is far more than enough to pound the snot out of V1 in any amp. If you want pure clean boost, there's none cleaner than the mosfet boost. If you want some gain with your boost, the minibooster adds a beautiful, meaty character to the boost. Both are outstanding. Build both into a BB box, and tickle your amp both ways!

I'm not lying when I say that more than one boutique pedal manufacturing company has been launched with one of these two boosters. I can think of three right offhand that are virtually household names amongst tone seekers, largely because of one or the other of these circuits. These boosters routinely sell for anywhere from $125 or so to around $200 for a reason. They're simply fantastic at what they do. That said, there are no mystical powers or magic pixie dust within that brand name box. There's nothing more than a tiny handful of simple, cheap components and a 9v battery, combined with quality workmanship and a clever marketing plan. I would urge any and all to build one for themselves, if a guitar boost is what you're looking for. [/quote']

Hey M,

do you have some links or names for simple - preferably very simple as I'm schematically challenged - boxes that'd be good starter projects for this kinda thing...

thanks....

I'll see if I can nab a Weller. Does it work for the inside of your guitar too?

Absolutely. 40 watts is more than enough juice. The key from there is in tip selection, and that iron comes with 2 additional tips, a small and large chisel. The small one works fine for guitar pots. The large one works for amp chassis grounds.

do you have some links or names for simple

Tonepad

BYOC

Generalguitargadgets

diystompboxes

geofex

smallbear

effectsconnection

http://pedalpartsplus.com/

http://mouser/

digikey

futurlec