Gibson Brands Forums

do you prefer gold or chrome hardware on y0ur guitar??

sdgails

I've always wondered about this. Has anybody done the gold electro/chemical, (don't know what it's called) application. I know that you can have things re-chromed so if you're into gold this may be a little pricey but what the heck...it ain't paint.......J

I prefer chrome/nickel hardware. I really don't think gold is girly, the reason I prefer chrome over gold is that when the gold begins to wear off, and it will wear off, it just doesn't look good to me.

Gold hadware isn't going to help the resale value of your Epi.

Oh, that depends on the guitar (and, personal preference, of course).

Some, almost scream for "Gold," hardware...others seem better suited with Chrome or Nickel.

I seem to like "Gold," with "Black" or even darker brown, guitars...a kind of "warmer look/feel" to them,

even when the gold is worn/faded a bit.

Most others, I own, have nickel or chrome hardware.

But, again...just personal preference.

Look at an ugly Les Paul Gold Top that resales for a bazillion freaking thousands of dollars and tell me you ever want gold hardware near your guitar again. What were they thinking?

Lovely blue guitars, or hell the finish on Slash's is a beautiful vintage, something burst with a thick dark black outline and a bright burning red inside, black guitars with white and chrome/nickle hardware... I don't see a place for gold hardware.

I don't think my Goldtops ugly...I think it's one of the nicer colors. Now gold hardware on a Goldtop would be a little iffy... oh, and it wasn't a "bazillion freekin thousand" dollars actually, MY particular model was 1799.00 after tax for a brand new guitar. Yeah, it's true, the Epiphone was 1/4 the price, but, I had the money to buy my "ugly" Goldtop...so I did! And I will say that my beloved Epiphone is every bit the guitar my Gibson is for playability, and tone. But, it should be stated that I did do some pretty extensive modifications to the Epiphone, not that it REALLY needed it, they were just things I did because I listened to the naysayers on some things, and others I did because I could. Imean, let's face it, I'm gonna do stuff like I did to a 500.00 dollar guitar as apposed to a 2000 dollar guitar, unless the latter has issues, which it doesn't. And it's typical for an Epiphone owner to step up to a Gibson, or an Elitist, because they see what a *****IN' guitar an Epi is...really. Every Epiphone I've tried was a pretty damn good guitar, and it made me thirst all the more for a Gibson, because I've been pining for a Les Paul for a lotta years, and now I have 2...as far as I'm concerned that Blue Epiphone I have is a "Les Paul" in every sense of the word. Amen. Wow, I just realised my rant has nothing to do with the original post. Sorry for the rant/ attempted hijack.

It really just comes down to the guitar.

I've got both, and I'm gonna do both. I've got my Les Paul Special with all crome hardware and silver accents.

I've got a black white and crome strat.

I've got a 6 string accoustic with gold, and one with crome

And I've got my Fender Dreadnaught 12 string, which is all black with cream and herringbone binding. Crome now, gold when I can afford it.

I've had Other Les Pauls with gold, including a Cherry Sunburst and a Black Beauty clone.

And no, I dont do it for resale, cause all totaled, if I were to sell my guitars right now I'd get MAYBE $400 for the lot.

If I buy a guitar, I intend to keep it (hasn't generally happened that way, but I swear its not my fault)

I don't like chrome but I do like a satin nickel. Both of my electrics have gold. The LP Custom is a 2004 and I can't find a spot where the gold has rubbed off. The DOT's tailpiece already has the gold rubbed off but I don't mind it; I think it looks good.

Nickel is my favourite, but I'll settle for chrome. Gold I avoid due to its fragile nature but some guitars really look good with it; I'm slowly putting together a Mary Kaye strat (white blonde ash body with birdseye maple neck) and that just begs for gold hardware. I think the only other guitars I have with gold hardware are the '58 'Korina' Explorer and my Dillion SG.

Archived