Gibson Brands Forums

do you prefer gold or chrome hardware on y0ur guitar??

sdgails

Yes... It depends on the finish of the guitar for me too.. Gold on black just looks elegant... But on a sunburst, it's just too much... And I prefer nickel over chrome.. Yet, all my guitars have chrome.... Except my Tele has nickel tuners.. The only guitar that I own with gold hardware is my wine red Fender Jazz bass, with a cream pearloid pickguard... I swapped all the chrome parts for gold by choice... Looks real classy, in a pimped-out kind of way!

The only guitar I have that has gold hardware is my 1998 Gibson LP Studio. The price was right and lefties can`t be choosers. I really don`t care for gold hardware. I`ll try to put this pic in, but on the new forum I still haven`t fugured out how to post a pic.

And oh yeah I had a 1971 and 1972 Chevelle in that color great cars!

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/larkin38/?action=view&current=LP1.jpg

The only guitar I have that has gold hardware is my 1998 Gibson LP Studio. The price was right and lefties can`t be choosers. I really don`t care for gold hardware. I`ll try to put this pic in' date=' but on the new forum I still haven`t fugured out how to post a pic.

And oh yeah I had a 1971 and 1972 Chevelle in that color great cars!

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/larkin38/?action=view&current=LP1.jpg[/quote']

Larkin, just click on the photo icon at the top of the page (It's the mountain and sun looking thingy.) and paste the link between the two "img" boxes..

Like others on this thread. Nickel/Chrome, because when the gold starts to flake off (and it will) it makes the guitar look pretty ratty.

We have an ESP/LTD that is black with black hardware. Don't much care for that either. Everything but the fretboard dots disappear - of course, that is what they were trying to do.

Notes

Basically, gold hardware adds some needed colour to an otherwise bland (black or white) guitar. It also works well against a natural finish (think Sheraton II). I've also seen it used to advantage on a greenburst Gibson SG Supreme. Face it, a Les Paul Custom just wouldn't look half as nice with chrome hardware... all that gold really sets off the ebony finish.

And I really am loath to mention chrome in the same breath as nickel, as in 'nickel/chrome', which somehow gives the impression that they are equivalent. I look at the pix of the Elitist guitars in the catalog and to me those chrome machine heads stick out like a sore thumb (I was really PISSED when I got my Elitist SG and saw that the heads were chrome; I ended up swapping them for nickel on all three of my Elitists). Nickel is much warmer and more organic than chrome, which to me is sterile and lifeless in comparison. Of course, chrome is the most worry-free and least susceptible to wear and tarnish, but I still think nickel looks better. Just my 2¢.

I've always wondered about this. Has anybody done the gold electro/chemical' date=' (don't know what it's called) application. I know that you can have things re-chromed so if you're into gold this may be a little pricey but what the heck...it ain't paint.......J[/quote']

I like gold on certain guitars for sure. Nickel looks better than chrome, IMO...I did some research on this and found a company in Minnesota that will electroplate in 24kt gold and then apply a lacquer finish coat...Supposedly "The Kind". I spoke with Carol and she says, "send me a photo with approximate dimensions, what the base metal is and I can give a +/- quote". Again, this might be pricey BUT, for those that might want to try it, here's their address:

www.newdimensionplating.com or www.rhcplating.com Contact number is; 320 587-3389.........J

Being a total victim of years of brainwashing...I love gold hardware on Jazz boxes (Epi, Gibson, Guild, Eastman, etc.), and the Country Gentleman, "Falcons" (Black or White), and more custom Gretsch guitars, as well. Les Paul Customs,

SG Custom (or even the Black or white "Standards"), all (can) look great, with "gold!" Rickenbackers, and most Fenders, look much better IMHO, with what you might call "warmer" Chrome metal (not that awful "blueish chrome" on some lesser offerings). But, again, that's personal preference. Someone mentioned, earlier, about

faded, or worn gold hardware looking tacky, or some such. Depending, of course, on how badly or in what way it's "worn," I think it can add to the overall "mojo" or warmth, if you like, of a well cared for, but obviously played, instrument. It's just kind of an expected, and even desireable feature of a beloved "vintage" or well used/loved, guitar.

Anyway...just my 2-cent's worth.

CB

good grief charley brown--- i couldnt agree more... lol..

i also really like TRUE nickel which has a yellowish tint to it and doestn look cheap like chrome does....

as long as it doesnt tarnish, im good with what ever.... i do really like gold, but only because the "higher models" ingeneral use it....i think it all depends on the guitar... if i put non covered pick ups on a guitar with gold hardware=== the gold would be off immediately.

Nickel is my favourite' date=' but I'll settle for chrome. Gold I avoid due to its fragile nature but some guitars really look good with it; I'm slowly putting together a Mary Kaye strat (white blonde ash body with birdseye maple neck) and that just begs for gold hardware. I think the only other guitars I have with gold hardware are the '58 'Korina' Explorer and my Dillion SG.[/quote']

Any ideas/products best suited, for keeping Nickel hardware, clean/shiney? The bridge on my Les Paul is getting

pretty tarnished...the stop tail piece and tuners, are fine...at least for now, but the bridge is pretty sad...

"Wright's Silver Cream?" Or is that too much, or not effective? Just curious..

CB

I find that the Gibson spray polish keeps the hardware looking nice and shiny.

Oh and nothing but gold would look good on my guitar. semi-translucent navy blue, white pickguard and gold hardware... It's why I bought it haha!

Probably going to keep the new KA pickups uncovered, so I'll have black pups... ahh well.

gib.jpg

I find that the Gibson spray polish keeps the hardware looking nice and shiny.

Oh and nothing but gold would look good on my guitar. semi-translucent navy blue' date=' white pickguard and gold hardware... It's why I bought it haha!

Probably going to keep the new KA pickups uncovered, so I'll have black pups... ahh well.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/GetragZ34/gib.jpg[/img]

Thanks, Roadkill...

That does work, most likely, with newer guitars, and gold/chrome hardware. I know that a very lightly

dampened cloth, and some bar soap, will shine up "gold" really nicely.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid my "Nickel" Les Paul bridge, is beyond just "wiping and polishing?" Any polish, at this point,

would be just polishing the tarnish. I need to find a way of eliminating, or greatly reducing the tarnish itself,

if possible. I mentioned "Wright's Silver Cream," but was wondering if anyone had any other/better solutions,

or products, made specifically for Nickel, that could be recommended?

Thanks,

CB

It depends on the finish...

With blacks, deep reds, and blues, gold works well. Others, no so much.

The most beautiful guitars I've seen are a matching Strat and Tele, with a blue body, pickguard, and gold hardware - including lipstick tube pickups.

It was on the 2007 Fender Custom Shop calendar.

Thanks' date=' Roadkill...

That does work, most likely, with newer guitars, and gold/chrome hardware. I know that a very lightly

dampened cloth, and some bar soap, will shine up "gold" really nicely.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid my "Nickel" Les Paul bridge, is beyond just "wiping and polishing?" Any polish, at this point,

would be just polishing the tarnish. I need to find a way of eliminating, or greatly reducing the tarnish itself,

if possible. I mentioned "Wright's Silver Cream," but was wondering if anyone had any other/better solutions,

or products, made specifically for Nickel, that could be recommended?

Thanks,

CB[/quote']

ahh sorry I quickly read your post last night without even thinking.

I know that coca-cola works extremely well on removing tarnish on the nickel used on old cars and on nickel coins. Whether or not it will work in your application I'm not sure.

I also read that this works wonders on nickel:

http://www.englishcustompolishing.com/usca/curators.html

However, I have no personal experience with this product. I do know that some tarnish will NOT come off of nickel no matter what you do.

Also: For those with gold hardware, try to just give it a quick wipe with guitar cleaner/polish every now and then. Scrubbing will (surprisingly) quickly remove that golden finish and leave you with that dull silver-colored look. In other words, try to give a quick wipe even when it doesn't need it, it's better then building up dirt/tarnish and then having to scrub to remove it.

Archived