Gibson Brands Forums

what is an...

esch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay not to sound rude I'm gonna pretend I didn't just read that.

It is actually a good question. They are correct in that Gibson doesn't refer to the models in that way per say. It is more of a "slang" term adopted by players to simplify matters.

Isnt that one reason we are here?....to learn from one another.

I was always told there is no such thing a silly question.

Man' date=' I sound like my Father![/quote']

there is now. and i've noticed that the hostility towards the n00bs is increasing. lol

Okay not to sound rude I'm gonna pretend I didn't just read that.

Yah, you did sound rude after all. :D

Look folks, (a) I searched for my answer before asking and couldn't find an answer (unlike some noobs), (:D I'm not a noob, and © just cuz you use slang doesn't mean everyone automatically understands what you mean.

Yah' date=' you did sound rude after all. :D

Look, (a) I searched for my answer before asking and couldn't find an answer (unlike some noobs), (:D I'm not a noob, and © just cuz you use slang doesn't mean everyone automatically understands what you mean.

[/quote']

I didn't say you were a N00b, FennRx said you were a n00b.

there is now. and i've noticed that the hostility towards the n00bs is increasing. lol

I'm guilty of this. eusa_angel.gif

No offense to any noobs, but it's the stupid questions where the guy is asking which guitar or amp he should buy....like he's actually going to buy a particular model if two or three people suggest it...

Anybody new to the Gibson Les Paul line, do yourself a favor, walk into your local music store and ask them to explain the differences. The added bonus is that you can actually pick up, play & hear each guitar.

It doesn't matter if you picked up a guitar yesterday for the first time in your life or if you're a life-long player. You should know what you're getting yourself into.

i agree and disagree.

some questions are irritating. but same question can be asked another way and it can become relevant.

example:

1) which les paul should i buy?

2) I have roughly $2500 to spend and am interested in a Les Paul. I play mostly old school rock like Zepand Bad Company. Any suggestions for me to try?

I will answer question number 2. face it, there are a LOT of LPs available these days. i dont mind pointing someone in what i consider the right direction if given the proper details (ie budget, tone goals, etc)

Yeah, as the guys said they are Gibson custom shop designations.

R7 =1957

R8= 1958

R9= 1959

R0+ 1960

The R0's probably being the most scarce of that bunch, but the only one I can get on with because it doesn't have a neck like a baseball bat..

Below is a link to pics of my 2003 R0 Historic 'Happy Humphrey' A monster guitar with awesome tone and sustain. I had it imported in from the States by a dealer friend of mine who was raving on for months to me about the acoustical tone and ring of this particular R0 he'd come across. Fired up through a 59 Bassman, it positively growls.

I'm certainly glad I did buy it, as it's the best Les Paul I have ever owned, or played for that matter and I have owned quite a few over the decades. Acoustically It rings like a banjo. A lovely open woody mid range tone and strum a chord and the whole headstock shakes and you can actually feel the vibrations through your body when playing it.

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

and as an after thought, rather than telling someone they're stupid, or being irritating ( because adding "I dont mean to be rude" before calling someone a ******bag really excuses you...) why not just ignore the thread? there are plenty of threads/responses i read and just move on.

Alright, two things here. Now, I'm not arguing, I'm just sayin'.

i dont mind pointing someone in what i consider the right direction if given the proper details (ie budget' date=' tone goals, etc)[/quote']

Here's the first problem, what I consider as "the right direction" you may not.

If a guy says he plays Zeppelin and wants a Les Paul to sound like Jimmy, what are his choices?

Well, a Standard, Classic Antique, Faded Classic, any reissue really with humbuckers...see what I mean?

There's no right or single answer to his question; so, to steer somebody, a complete stranger who hasn't even picked up a guitar yet, towards lets say a R8 without knowing them is obsurd.

Most have humbuckers and they all sound great, agree? So why exclude any?

and as an after thought' date=' rather than telling someone they're stupid, or being irritating ( because adding "I dont mean to be rude" before calling someone a ******bag really excuses you...) why not just ignore the thread? there are plenty of threads/responses i read and just move on.[/quote']

Telling somebody they're stupid and saying that was a stupid question are completely different, don't get the two mixed up. Why not ignore it?...because the right answer is "get off your a**, go to the store, play them and decide for yourself. The only thing is, that's not the proper way to welcome somebody. eusa_angel.gif

To be honest, when I read this, I almost ignored it and moved on. O:)

This is like the third one of these topics (topics about the reissues) this week!

...hm... you can blame that on Tim... he and his pic threads have all the members raving about reissues...

How about this... from now on' date=' whatever happens we can blame on Tim and his beautiful guitar![img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_drool.gif[/img]

i never said you called anyone stupid Timmy. forgive, if you took that as my meaning. but there were some comments aimed at some members that most definitely were insults.

of course you may think differently than me. that's the point of a forum....

i can use google for absolutely everything that is discussed on this forum, so by that logic- this forum need not even exist. but i actually enjoy hearing about how your R9 sounds/feels or how NeoConMan has a 12 String SG. of course i can order a guitar myself, but if 1/10 people say the Classic's PUs rock and 10/10 people say the Standard's are awesome, I think that is helpful.

Great...just great!

Nice axe Tim. Very similar top to my old Humph.

Hey' date=' how did you get the link just to read[i'] ' Historic Les Paul data base'[/i] instead of that huge link name I have for the same thing??

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

Thanks Phil! You're guitar is rockin'! Happy Hump-free? ](*,)

Oh, when you're composing a message, you know the small green globe with a chain just above the text box? That's how. You need to highlight the text, then press the globe and past the www.

Make sense?

Archived