Gibson Brands Forums

The SG-3 Fireburst

Alleykat959

Hello everyone, I used to post on this board frequently about my Alleykat. Which I've owned going on 4 years now.

I still love it. But I must confess something.

I broke down and bought a Gibson online. An SG-3 Fireburst to be exact. One of the Guitar of The Week models from last year.

My reasoning is I have been borrowing a friends Rickenbacker 350 from late 80's and I've fallen in love with that hot single coil sound. Eventually he will need it back and I'd be out of a great guitar. I searched all around to find something with a similar sound to no avail. I really liked the Classic Player Baja Tele but that was 699 at Guitar Center. And that's mexican made. I've never been a Fender guy, plus everyone in my band plays Fenders (strat or tele and jazz bass) I think the chance to own a Gibson for only 800$ was too great a risk to take. So I bought it off Musicians Friend. I dig the look and specs. Triple single coils. Fireburst paint. 6 way selector (the Rickenbacker taught me how to use my switches better, thanks to the phaser knob) But if it's too Strat like in sound I'll be sending it back. Everything I've read however says you can get the Tele bark without the twang from it. And that's what I'm looking for with my current band. We play a lot of classic british punk like The Jam and The Clash but mixed with a Gram Parsons country sound. The humbuckers on my Alleykat seem way out of place.

Anyway, I feel like I'm visiting the dark side :-) But I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

David

I really liked the Classic Player Baja Tele but that was 699 at Guitar Center. And that's mexican made.

David

Okay, just for the record, it seems that there is a general misunderstanding with regard to Mexican-made Fenders. I believe a lot of people (and I've seen this in our store) tend to assume that all Mexican Fenders are of the same questionable quality. This is not the case. Many good Fenders are made in Mexico, including 50s, 60s and 70s Strats, the Jimmy Vaughan Strat, the Powerhouse Strat, and others. Now, they also make the Standard Series guitars, which is what most of us think of when we think of 'Made in Mexico'. While it's true that the Standard Series is a low-end, el cheapo Fender line just barely worthy of the decal, the other guitars made in Mexico are actually close in quality to any American-made models.

While it's true that the Standard Series is a low-end' date=' el cheapo Fender line just barely worthy of the decal, the other guitars made in Mexico are actually close in quality to any American-made models.[/quote']

You were pretty much correct up to this point.

It wasn't a knock. It was the best guitar at G.C. for under 800 bucks! I loved it. It made the Standard series mexican Tele's feel like toys though. I was within minutes of buying it. I guess the only other angle the american made Gibson would have is resell value. No matter what you say. The Gibson will hold its value better on the used market than a Baja Tele. Which is big for me, buying online. I want to know that I can get rid of the Gibson if I don't like it. (and perhaps go get that Baja Tele)

here's the musicians friend link

Musicians Friend listing

and here's a link from another forum, with a couple good pics

The Gear Page thread on the SG-3

You were pretty much correct up to this point.

Heh heh, my apologies if I insulted your pride and joy, but I base that opinion (yes, that's all it is) on the low-grade ceramic pickups Fender puts in these guitars plus the fact that I found six strips of wood glued together all covered with two sheets of veneer when I stripped down my Standard Series Tele. I'd rather have a Squier. =P~

Many good Fenders are made in Mexico' date=' including 50s, 60s and 70s Strats, the Jimmy Vaughan Strat, the Powerhouse Strat, and others. [/quote']

I've also owned both of the MIM Thinline Tele's and would rank them fairly high in quality too. In fact, when I flipped them, (so I could get more Epi's of course) I got what I paid for them back pretty much to the penny.

Just got it in the mail yesterday. Wrote a long review on the Gibson board... but here's some pics of my new baby. She's gorgeous. On one playing session I really dig the blade single coils. Unique sounding. They're rich and booming, while keeping that single coil clarity. Overdrives really well on my Hot Rod Deluxe. It can run the gamut from country to old school punk, so I'm happy.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pretty nice guitar. Sure is... different. It sure has a strong Fender vibe to it. Looks like Gibson is trying to make a Strat again... they even went for the three-colour sunburst. Hmmm. I bet you are going to have an interesting conversation piece in a couple of years, one of those Gibsons that makes everyone do a double-take. Remember the S-1?

i see i can't provoke much rickenbacker discussion here :-) .....

I dig that 350, man... I've always had a thing for Ricks... (360 and 660 12 string are what I've been GASsing for... And a 4003 bass..) Nice color choice too.. I've only ever seen the 350 in black.. er... I mean "Jetglow".. ;) I like it when people do something different!

Must be a lot easier to play than a 325...

yeah i was asking about the pick ups.... the mexi standards are really crappy, but some of the special edition pick ups would sound GREAT in anything (laces, noiseless, vintage etc)

since i first saw a lennon edition 650 when i started playing guitar, i wanted one soooo bad... it was such a great alternative to all the black lefty strats that i could have had,, (no it wasnt a lefty ric) but to my young unknowing eyes, it looked like a black strat on cocain...... it was sweet... wanted one ever since..... sigh... and ill never get to touch one.

Thanks about the 350, I love that guitar, and I came across it for free so I didn't have a choice on the color. The "ruby" red is interesting though and I'm kinda glad it's not black. It was my sisters boyfriends main axe when he played in a ska-punk band in the late 80's early 90's (he toured with and became a member of Operation Ivy for one tour on the west coast) and he's practically given it to me for as long as I want. Switching between the SG-3 and the Rick 350 on stage is guitar heaven for me. The Rick has a punch I've never heard before. Not bassy, just so loud clear that it hops.

I used the SG-3 on most of my recordings on Saturday. Stock setup and stock strings and it sounded great! My band just recorded it's first 4 song demo. We'll have the finished mix by next week.

Archived