Gibson Brands Forums

Something rare... at what price do you think it will go ?

Big Norm

Should start to get interesting tomorrow.

Not an area where a lot of collector money is spent. The guitar is worth maybe $1200 (there's a black one currently at Elderly's in slightly less condition for $800) and the amp maybe around the same, maybe a grand. I'd say as a set less than $3K-$2500-$2800 but with E Bay it could go to $5K or not even break a grand. What happened here is some clueless estate seller found this in a closet, cleaned it up (it's obviously been professionally restored though is still in great condition) and has put it out there to see what it'll fetch. If this were a Fender/White set from the mid-40's it'd top $5K in a second but Gibson lap steels and amps from that period just don't have a lot of collector appeal and are actually quite common. I'll say $2800.

...and Al's your uncle.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I lack your expertise in these matters so I wasn't really sure... thought it might go as high as $5K but that was just an uninformed guess. Curious as all hell now though to see what transpires in the waning minutes of this auction...

• 5 weeks later...

Archived