Gibson Brands Forums

Get that Fender Chime

ricach

you're not going to get clean all the way up to ten unless you seriously reduce gain.. and even then probably not!

well, it wouldn't be the same ten you have stock for sure.

you can give it a more fenderish voice.. but it's still a 5 watt amp, and 10 is.. well.. 10!

TWANG

I have two epi jr's' date=' with the intention of modding one to give it a nice Fender clean chime all the way up to 10. Has anybody tried/accomplished this yet? I see most people going for the vox or plexi sound. [/quote']

Hey Ricach,

You know I'm interested in finding out more about that Fender mod myself - I had thought it was a Silver thing, but the more I've read the more I'm thinking it's more of a blackface or tweed......anybody help here?

Anyway, just for fun I threw a cheap Chinese 12AU7 that I had used in figuring out how to tame my Mesa F-30's drive channel into the EVJr. I found that while I took a big hit in overall volume I could get the amp almost all the way up w/o breaking up much. Now I don't know if I'd use the Chinese tube for a committed Fender thing because it's a bit dull sounding, but for clean headroom all the way up that's as close as I've gotten and I'm definitely bringing the tube with me the next time I record because it was a great cleanish chimey thing going on there.....

It's definately a blackface thing. I worked on a Pro Reverb Blackface and fell in love with that sound. I modded a 'component' tube amp by replacing the tone/preamp with a duplicate of the blackface. it chimes nicely. but rather than completely redo the epi jr, i'd rather see if just replacing a few things here and there will do the trick.

Ouch - didn't know that.....gotta say the old black face bassmans are one of my favorite sounding amps ever.......guess you'd have to put a 6L6 in to get there........hmmmmm

I think I might feel another mod coming on.........oh nooo........

; )

Archived