Gibson Brands Forums

Leo Quan vs Wilkinson wrap around bridge for LP Jr. ?

Zoki

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to go into the studio and do some recording and it's looking like the old Epi Paul Jr. is going to be the right guitar for the job, but I'm concerned the intonation is going to be an issue.....

Any opinions of either of these replacement bridges - or other options I might want to consider?

Thanks!

Check out the Schaller. It's a little pricey but it's of much higher quality compared to the Badass, which is a little... rough. You can get 'em at Stew-Mac or Allparts. Plus it's kind of like getting a genuine Gibson part since Schaller has made bridges and tailpieces for Gibson over the years...

Check out the Schaller. It's a little pricey but it's of much higher quality compared to the Badass' date=' which is a little... rough. You can get 'em at Stew-Mac or Allparts. Plus it's kind of like getting a genuine Gibson part since Schaller has made bridges and tailpieces for Gibson over the years...[/quote']

The schaller is "the rolls royce" of that style bridge but you still have the height issue on the Epi JR. The wilkinson allows for lower action and intonates well with the g/b string adjustment and screws on the studs. My only dislike is the locking studs. They belong in the trash. Use the stock epi studs and it works fine.

Hey Layboomoo' date='

Thanks for the info - hat may be an issue as the stock brigde sets right down on the guitar - any experience with the Wilkinsons?

Beautiful rig BTW![/quote']

Thanks zoki...I sold that hand wired 50 watt head recently still have the 4x12 cab... it was all custom made you have a good eye! The only Paul I have left is the one in the middle a 1980 deluxe that is one of my favorite pauls I've ever owned! It's beat to sh!t really but I love it. The only one I liked better was a 1969 gold top deluxe that I had in high school...wish I still had that one!

The schaller is "the rolls royce" of that style bridge but you still have the height issue on the Epi JR.

Yep' date=' there's a definite problem there. I had the same problem with my cherry LP Junior DC... but it's easy to fix with a bit of shimming under the neck. It'd be even easier on a single cut since the bolt tab doesn't project under the pickguard as on the DC (which means you have to sand down the top of the tab a bit so that it'll still fit under the PG once you put in the shim):

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/juniorneck2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the info guys...

Looks like I'll just go with the Wilkinson then as budget is kind of an issue too.....saw a beautiful ABM that looked like it'd do the trick as well, but it's mroe than twice the price and I think if I can get that G string in line it should be fine....

Thanks zoki...I sold that hand wired 50 watt head recently still have the 4x12 cab... it was all custom made you have a good eye! The only Paul I have left is the one in the middle a 1980 deluxe that is one of my favorite pauls I've ever owned! It's beat to sh!t really but I love it. The only one I liked better was a 1969 gold top deluxe that I had in high school...wish I still had that one!

Hey Layboomo - you know I've got this weird Gibson karma, now I've never found THE axe yet, but see that 84 LP over there - well a guy at work gave it to me with a broken neck and toasted pups thinking he'd never fix it - took it to the shop and they laughed and said hey - gibsonitis.....do you want to look pretty or just play well.......60 bucks later I had myself a playable LP and the creamy looking pups - not unlike the ones in yours I see - were only twenty some bucks from the guys over at Eastwood guitars and they actually sound pretty cool.......this is the one I keep thinking I'm saving for when (and if) my son decides he wants to play........

Whatever stoptail type bridge you choose, always check the feedom of the intonation screws before fitting the bridge.

Fresh plating of tapped threads and screws will quite often cause them to bind or seize. You can't feel this issue very well when the bridge is fitted and under any tension. Work the screws fully backwards and forwards to check for freedom. If they bind, add a spot of light machine oil and keep working them until they free up.

This can avoid lots of cursing and jumping around later when you're trying to adjust the intonation and the screws don't want to budge ;^)

Hey Layboomo - you know I've got this weird Gibson karma' date=' now I've never found THE axe yet, but see that 84 LP over there - well a guy at work gave it to me with a broken neck and toasted pups thinking he'd never fix it - took it to the shop and they laughed and said hey - gibsonitis.....do you want to look pretty or just play well.......60 bucks later I had myself a playable LP and the creamy looking pups - not unlike the ones in yours I see - were only twenty some bucks from the guys over at Eastwood guitars and they actually sound pretty cool.......this is the one I keep thinking I'm saving for when (and if) my son decides he wants to play........[/quote']

The Pup's on the deluxe are 70's NOS lawrence mini hums and they scream.....the PUP's on the other 2 were expensive WCR Darkbursts on the R-7 goldtop and WCR filmore's on the black standard with RS guitarworks premium control kits in both! Those were great sounding/playing LP's but I sold em' for a pretty good profit. I don't ever get too attached and sometimes half the fun for me is the hunt...buying them @ good prices then tweaking em etc...Sounds like you got a nice player cheap! I always like the beat up ones it seems....they just have so much character.

Archived