Gibson Brands Forums

Heyboer OT

51xt33

Just a bump on this, but Heyboer is the recommended OT replacement per turretboards. The Heyboer part number should be printed on the transformer, probably on the side. Knowing the part number would reallly help in buying on of these.

Side note: with the new transformer used in the V3, would this still be a recommended mod?:-k

No need to swap out OT's on a v3 VJr. It has a 5.2k primary impedance now, and sounds pretty good. The Heyboer won't be much bang for buck. Older v2 and v1 amps had a horrible OT and were in desperate need of improvement.

Unless you're planning to upgrade your amp to a 6L6 or an EL34 or larger power tube, the stock v3 OT will do fine. Any version of the VJr OT will sound good with a 6V6.

Gil...

Hey gil, I've been thinking of going all-out on my V3 head, including a BitMo Trio (which uses all high-quality parts), a complete recircuiting (with all high-quality parts, like a Marshallization component kit from TurretBoards), and a new OT.

I'm thinking a Hammond 125ESE because the Heyboer is 6.6K instead of 5.2 and the Hammond is 5.0; any thoughts?

Total cost: $130 (amp) + $45 (BitMo Trio) + $42 (component kit) + $50 (OT) == $130 + $137 == $267

I might also build a second amp using a Hammond 125ESE and an Octal power socket (turretboard) to use a 6L6 or EL34.

Archived