Gibson Brands Forums

It's friday, about the end of the work day on the east coast, time for a stupid question..

Sheik Yerbouti

What type of picks do you prefer? Med? Heavy?

Is there an assorted pack available somewhere? I know they come is numerous gauges, and I know it heavily influences your style of play, so what do you use and why?

I'm using fender med, thinking they may be slightly too thick to my liking. :)

Dunlop Tortex extra heavy 1.14mm sharp tip. Moved up from 0.60 mediums and 1.0 heavies. I find the really heavy picks give me FAR better control; if I hold it light it acts like a medium pick and passes through the string easy, if I hold it tight and hit hard I get a sharp attack I can't get with a medium. I've blown through a string once, a month and a half ago.

A friend of mine shipped me a guitar about 2 years ago and in the case there were 2-3 assorted picks. One of them was this triangular one that was really thin. I prefer the thinner picks so, so I grabbed it.

Boy was I surprised by what I found.

Because it's triangular, you can hold it a multitude of different ways. You can also position it in between your fingers better, (IMO) so that it doesn't move around. It changed my solo capabilities almost the minute I sat down with it.

May not be the same for everyone, but these are definitely the picks for me.

They're called Clayton Ultem.

Here's a visual.

4592_1.jpg

It's fun to experiment with different thicknesses and materials. Jazz players tend to like the precise attack thicker picks offer and bone,stone, wood and metal offer unique tones. Thinner picks are nice for rhythm stuff and that chucka-chucka kinda stuff......lots of flavors to try.

A friend of mine shipped me a guitar about 2 years ago and in the case there were 2-3 assorted picks. One of them was this triangular one that was really thin. I prefer the thinner picks so' date=' so I grabbed it.

Boy was I surprised by what I found.

Because it's triangular, you can hold it a multitude of different ways. You can also position it in between your fingers better, (IMO) so that it doesn't move around. It changed my solo capabilities almost the minute I sat down with it.

May not be the same for everyone, but these are definitely the picks for me.

They're called Clayton Ultem.

Here's a visual.

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/tukinator/4592_1.jpg[/img]

You are in good company my man! Santana plays with a big triangle too!

It's fun to experiment with different thicknesses and materials. Jazz players tend to like the precise attack thicker picks offer and bone' date='stone, wood and metal offer unique tones. Thinner picks are nice for rhythm stuff and that chucka-chucka kinda stuff......lots of flavors to try.[/quote']

I love using a pre-1987 copper penny for mellow tones, while a shiny copper-zinc penny (US money) gives a brighter attack my silly basswood body can't keep up with.

I use thick picks for rhythm but I play precision just like when leading; if I want a fourth I try not to play muted strings, I play the 2 in the fourth. I started off with rhythm for ONE DAY and moved to lead, then back, so I have that.

I use the small Fender heavy jazz pick. At least that's what I call it as I'm not sure what it's called. I just went to the Fender Website and the closest I could find there as far as shape, was the 358 Mandolin pick. I use all my fingers when I play a solo and still when I'm chording and like to keep my fingers tight/close to the strings........J

I've been using the grey nylon Dunlop picks for years... Medium gauge (.60mm).. I like the way they flex for rhythm playing yet have enough rigidity for solid attack... And they never break! I also like the grippy texture on top... (celluloid picks feel too slippery to me..) But I wanna try some of Gary's Brain picks...

I use the small Fender heavy jazz pick. At least that's what I call it as I'm not sure what it's called. I just went to the Fender Website and the closest I could find there as far as shape' date=' was the 358 Mandolin pick. I use all my fingers when I play a solo and still when I'm chording and like to keep my fingers tight/close to the strings........J[/quote']

+1. I use the Fender 358 medium thickness tortoise colored for normal playing, but if I'm going to just be just strumming I go for the Dunlop 1mm picks (the black ones).

** Warning rant alert **

Which bring me to a pet peeve there should be a law against black or dark colored picks ! All picks should be white or brightly colored. Have you ever tried to find a black pick quickly, on a dark barroom floor ? I wish the medium 358 Fenders came in white, but only the heavy gauge does, same with the Dunlops 1mm comes in black only. Who thought of that ?

** Rant over **

- Jay

I like heavy picks, especially for soloing. Currently I am using Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm. They are gold/amber and easy to see on a dark carpet but not on a tan one. Picks should glow in the dark (grin). I also like the Green Dunlop .88. I have a couple of Pickboy Metacarbonate picks in 1.0 that are pretty bright. I'm beginning to like the jazz picks, also.

For years, I used Orange Dunlop picks and choked up for leads and backed off for rhythm. My problem with thick picks and chording is that they don't flex well unless you hold them loosely...then they end up on the floor when you dig into a chord. For solos though, I love a thick pick because they recover well and I don't miss notes. Thin picks are still vibrating between notes and I tend to miss a note here and there on a fast passage.

I keep 5 or 6 picks on my amp so I can reach back and grab another if I lose the one I'm playing with. I'd like to have an amp mounted pick holder. Most of the ones I've seen mount on mic stands...

"Cool" picks' date=' no pun intended. Heavy - 1.5mm. The black grips are awesome. I have been using them for about 4 years now. I used the Clayton white heavy triangles before, but I switched because of the grips on these.

[img']http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q232/jcwillow777/SG/CoolPic.jpg[/img]

I agree about these picks except I use the thin guage - 0.6mm. I'm still very tentative about playing and have a light hand so they work better for me than a thick pick.

Whatever is in the vicinity of my guitar. Usually medium to heavy. Usually Dunlops in green, grey, yellow, orange. Thin pick for funky-licks(as in Chic). Generally favour the heavier ones fo mo tone tho. Homemade copper pick(flattened nickel)

Archived