Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with my 1996 Epiphone SG

iknowspoon

I need help with my 1996 Epiphone SG Axe. I can't tell what model it is.

I looked up both SG-310 and SG-400 and it seems like a combination

of both. It's one solid mahogany with cherry red finish which is like a

like the SG-400, but then the pickup and threats looks like a SG-310.

Can anyone help me out?

- Spoon

www.myspace.com/iknowspoon

guitar.jpg

g400 with the dot inlays and pick up covers removed... 310s are bolt on necks.

Then why is it that G-310 is made out of Alder when mine is made out of Mahogany. I know for a fact it's Mahogany and only the G-400 has that option vs G-310. Also look at the finger guard and short fretboard. Those are only in the G-400 and not in the G-310.

im confused.... i am stating that the guitar is a g400.............................................. certain things changed im sure from that 96 vs the current models (like the dot inlays)....

as stated prior...its not a g310 because those had bolt on necks..

i dont remember if there was ever a g400 studio that had the uncovered pickups and dot inlays...but its still a g400 as i said originally.

Yep looks ike an early G-400 all right. It's not a G-310. And for the record, they're not really made out of mahogany anyways. Nice scarfing on that one, too bad about the dot markers. At least if it had the neck binding but hey.

Yep looks ike an early G-400 all right. It's not a G-310. And for the record' date=' they're not really made out of mahogany anyways. Nice scarfing on that one, too bad about the dot markers. At least if it had the neck binding but hey.[/quote']

Thank you. It's finally solved.

i thought i solved it first? BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha!

yeah i doubt anything that is said to be mahogany is actually mahogany anymore... heck, rumor is that the mahogany back of most gibsons are now multipiece...wtf. 2000-3000 for that?

heck' date=' rumor is that the mahogany back of most gibsons are now multipiece...wtf. 2000-3000 for that?[/quote']

Not just a rumor, I believe.

I've written down observations from Gibson LP owners, that there are one piece backs on some 2001/2002 Gibson Classics, two piece backs on Classics from 2005- and on Standards from 2006/2007- .

Next time your at the guitar store, check out a few Gibsons - take a look in the butt at the strap button, the grain won't lie.

Archived