Gibson Brands Forums

Half stack results

Holy crap.

So guys check this out

n1033398210_41364_3680.jpg

It sounds a LOT better than the VJ and I have the V3 OT in that combo amp and the DC rectifier. I mean, I'm dying from the sound I'm getting off this speaker and amp, I even put the tubes from the combo into the half stack and it just roars like a lioness.

The combo doesn't sound great. It rattles the tubes; you can buy rings to put on the tubes to help this but blah.

The speaker itself is actually nice in the combo though, I've plugged the head into it. Even plugged in the combo (4 ohm) and 1x12 cab (16 ohm) at the same time for a couple minutes... ](*,);

The combo doesn't sound great. It rattles the tubes; you can buy rings to put on the tubes to help this but blah.

The speaker itself is actually nice in the combo though' date=' I've plugged the head into it. Even plugged in the combo (4 ohm) and 1x12 cab (16 ohm) at the same time for a couple minutes... #-o;[/quote']

You telling me the modded combo amp into the 12" didn't sound better than the stock head??

I'm actually anxious to hear the combo..

I love the stack.

I bought the combo for my G/F and right out of the box i didn't care for it that much, but after hooking up my POD XTL

it was outrageous. i ordered the head/cab based on the tone from the combo, should be here tuesday. I can't wait to hook my stuff up to this thing. I needed low watts to offset volume issues and after looking at rudely expensive 1 to 5 watt boutique amps I was so happy I bought this for the G/F (mainly just to see...). Great price, great tone and it loves my digital stuff.

You'll like the head cab better.

want a free idea?

pull the head..

sell the combo and speaker on ebay or over at sewatt.com vj forums.

build a cab out of pine for the head.. and grab a seperate cabinet for it.

it's the same head, same power..*S*

It loves all stuff.

You know there are two ways to go about getting low volume home practice tones out of this thing.

well three.

you can use any pedal and leave it stock.

you can install the loop d jr. efx loop which allows you to plug in halfway bypassing the vjs preamp entirely.

or you can use install and NFB, negative feedback resistor, and get about 1/2 power.

have fun.

TWANG

You'll like the head cab better.

want a free idea?

pull the head..

sell the combo and speaker on ebay or over at sewatt.com vj forums.

build a cab out of pine for the head.. and grab a seperate cabinet for it.

it's the same head' date=' same power..*S*

It loves all stuff.

You know there are two ways to go about getting low volume home practice tones out of this thing.

well three.

you can use any pedal and leave it stock.

you can install the loop d jr. efx loop which allows you to plug in halfway bypassing the vjs preamp entirely.

or you can use install and NFB, negative feedback resistor, and get about 1/2 power.

have fun.

TWANG[/quote']

Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to messing with it.

I'm just looking forward to bitmo modding the head. I'll probably do it myself, maybe tonight. I'm an inexperienced electronics guy still and that board is beautiful, gotta get up the nerve...

Bruce said that the Tweaky/Spanky mod had some PTS thing that changes amp characteristics as volume goes up, but now all that's switch controlled and tone knob (Duo) in the Trio. I'm wondering about having the Duo tone dial on a switch that bypasses it... 3-way switch, left = duo, right = PTS, center = both. Overkill though, but volume-based voicing seems like an interesting amp personality (since pick attack controls volume?)

Archived