Gibson Brands Forums

Need some opinions

alcorn429

I just got my LP and now I'm thinking that my little squier amp is way to small and doesn't sound good. I'm really looking at going with a 30 watt and have narrowed it down to following three but would just like to hear any opinions both good and bad on any of them. I'm just looking for an amp to practice with and play acouple small gigs with.

1. Marshall MG30DFX

2. Roland Cube 30X

3.Line 6 Spider III 30

I am leaning toward the Roland because I've used one in a show and loved the sound I got out of it with my guitar. I have only demoed the other two.

I just got my LP and now I'm thinking that my little squier amp is way to small and doesn't sound good. I'm really looking at going with a 30 watt and have narrowed it down to following three but would just like to hear any opinions both good and bad on any of them. I'm just looking for an amp to practice with and play acouple small gigs with.

1. Marshall MG30DFX

2. Roland Cube 30X

3.Line 6 Spider III 30

I am leaning toward the Roland because I've used one in a show and loved the sound I got out of it with my guitar. I have only demoed the other two.

Don't rule out Peavey Transtube EFX amps. I liked the Transtube line over the Roland Cube 30.

If I were getting a 30 watt, I'd get the same Vox Valvetronix as above. Awesome amp.

Out of ones you listed, I'd get either the Marshall or the Line 6. Personally I have a Line 6 Spider III 120 watt (wanted the Vox Valvetronix 100 watt but found this used for an irresistable price) and I love it. The Spider III's give you a very wide range of tonal variety and eliminate the need for many effects pedals (I still use my wah with it, but that's it).

HOWEVER, if you already have the effects pedals you'd need, I'd go with the Marshall. Effects pedals sound great with the Marshall, but effects pedals (except a wah or volume pedal) actually sound pretty crappy with the Spider III's. So if you're in love with the sound your current effects pedals give you, go with the Marshall

I'm using a Roland cube 30 for practicing...it replace a Marshall MG30dfx that was crap. I'm really satisfied with the Roland, but I should say I never tried the Vox. My main amp is a Marshall AVT100 valvetronix that I'm very happy with, but believe me, it have nothing to do or compare with the MG30DFX. By the way, my main guitar is an Epi Les Paul Ultra and I also have a Hagstrom Swede that I play true the Roland cube and I'm very pleased.

I like my VOX AD15VT, which I use now as my practice amp. I have also owned the AD50VT. Both are great amps! The 30W just falls in between. I played Marshall, Fender, Spider, Peavey, you name it, prior to buying the VOX AD50VT. IMHO, it was the best choice.

Another amp you might consider is the Epi Valve Special. I played through one after I had purchased the VOX 50W. Had I been looking for an amp then, I would have purchased the Epi. Good value and great sound. Check one out before you make a decision. Don't let the 5W's scare you off, it's plenty loud, 16 effects and that tube sound.... NICE!!

Just an opinion...but I have played all of em so it's based on experience...the Roland cube is the most versatile of them all hands down. The vox is a close second IMHO and either the roland or the vox is the way to go. I would stay away from the valve special...that DSP is noisy and cheap sounding to me....and for pure tube tone the valve jr is hard to beat.

The Vox Valvetronics line are fantastically versatile amps and either the 30 or the 50 would probably serve your needs very well. I can't speak to the Roland since my only experience has been with a MicroCube that was promptly swapped for a Vox DA-5. Like most others I agree that the Marshall MG series is not much more than a big, sterile, practice amp...but an AVT is a different animal. Before you make a purchase, try out a 20 or 50 watt Marshall AVT: not long on features but that's why they make pedals right? I don't use many effects but anything I've used with my 20w combo or 50w head has worked well. I don't feel that the AVT 20w combo will keep up with the 30w Valvetronics alone... but with a good overdrive, (preferably tube), pedal it will give a VT a run for it's money. The Voxs are loaded with onboard features - the Marshalls aren't... either is a good choice depending if you want lotsa buttons or minimal buttons. For potential gigging situations I don't know that I wouldn't be considering a 50w combo anyway if you can forsee lugging it about without too much trouble. Wedgie

I own a Spider III 30 w and it just sits in the corner unused, save some more money, and buy a tube amp if you can. The effects on the line 6 are thin and fizzy , not very convincing. If you want great sound get a tube amp, if all you want is loud funny noise, get the line 6. I picked up a used Hughes&Kettner 20 w tube amp for $350.00 and I just love that thing.

Another vote for anything but the Marshall... I've got one, lasted me a year and a half, then died... I never ran it more than 50% volume either... Also, IMO it sounded bad...

I've been looking for a new amp, and was suggested to look at the Harley Benton head and a cab, Only 5w but pure tube!

I have a Vox AD50VT and I love it. It has a tube stage, and it also has a power cut knob so you can turn it to lower power and then hit maximum gain and volume and leave the wallpaper on the wall when practicing!

I was looking for a solid practice amp a few years ago and it came down to basically the same choices you've narrowed it down to. I put all 3 through their paces in the shop and found the Roland Cube 30 to be the best bang for your buck. There's a lot you can do with those amps. Here's a link of Jonny Demarco running a Cube 60 through it's paces. Very similar amp to the 30 or 30x, with a bit more juice and a few more options. The Vox line is quite good as well, and I know that Peavey has quite a few moderately priced models that can really rock. Good luck!

Seems like that Valvetronix one's the one. I dunno, I got a Marshall, it aint the MG series, mine's the first Valve amp they came out with (VS100RH) and couldn't be happier. The preamp has a single 12ax7, and the entire power section is solid state, but a friend of mine's got the MG100HDFX, and side by side, mine blows it outta the water. Their both halfstacks. But I did get to try one of those "Cube30's" at G.C., and it was a pretty good little amp, Check it!

In that wattage group Id go with the Spyder III's or Vox's. The modelers do a real good job of coping multiple tones

and offering many effects. Guys record all the time with PODs and Tonelabs and these two amps have the same modeling going on.

For under $300 those Blackheart Little Giant head and cab tube combos are Killer IMO if your looking the new tube route.

Or go used tube and get Valve Junior,Classic 20,Crate V series,etc....

Archived