Gibson Brands Forums

LP + what amp ?

garythekiwi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
Hi All' date='

I'm new here. So what are you playing your beautiful LP through. After all a great guitar through a somewhat ordinary amp will sound....well...ordinary.

Come on fess up and tell or post a pic of your baby or monster stack etc...

You may even whish to tell us why you like the combination etc..

Gary[/quote']

I've been wondering the same thing. Im getting a Gibson Les Paul standard traditional pro.

don't forget Vox! i like vox' date=' marshall, pignose, and fender. but i only have a litte 2 watt roland micro cube (it's pretty nice though) . Dang i need to get a job![/quote']

It's good to see another Pignose user out there. (My girlfriend just loves my little Pignose!)

But, seriously, my LP through my Fender Blues Junior satisfies my ear.

I have a Fender twin reverb RI that works for me. I put a 57+ and a 57 classic in my LP studio. My sg classic has P90's. I don't realy need anything else (for now).

I like a clean tone with some reverb and/or vibrato...

IMG_1042.jpg

I have a Fender twin reverb RI that works for me. I put a 57+ and a 57 classic in my LP studio. My sg classic has P90's. I don't realy need anything else (for now).

I like a clean tone with some reverb and/or vibrato...

I LOVE p90s through that amp! I love just about anything through a good TR but p90s just sound so good through them.

Yeah an old post, but I'll play.

I have two amps that I use and I built them both.'

1. Two-Stroke amp. Modded Fender Princeton about 10 watts.

2. Ceriatone Over Tone Special - dumble type amp. Run it thru a 1x12" Port City amp cab.

Depends on the day!!!

LP + Marshall = great

LP + Fender = great

LP + Vox = great

I think LP's sound great full stop. There's not one combination better than the other as it depends on the tone you are looking for on the day. All the combination sound great, but if you certain sound which only a LP Marshall gives you, then you are unlikely to be happy playing through a Vox that day..etc etc.

However, I sometimes think that we - dare I say it? - can sometimes have too much gear to choose from. I remember getting my first LP and played it through a Line 6 Flextone. I thought I was the 'mutts nuts'. I then got a valve amp, and it all went down hill. After several more amps, and 16 guitars, I've came to the conclusion that it's me that makes the sound, the amp simply makes it louder. I think I'm trying to say that I'm the weak link in any of the above axe+amp combinations.

Hi All' date='

I'm new here. So what are you playing your beautiful LP through. After all a great guitar through a somewhat ordinary amp will sound....well...ordinary.

Come on fess up and tell or post a pic of your baby or monster stack etc...

You may even whish to tell us why you like the combination etc..

Gary[/quote']

play all my planks through a line 6 spyder 2x12 150, its got all the effect you could want built in but i normaly play through the clean channel with a boss metal core 2 and boss noise supressor...also got a marshall valvestate 20 that i use for the lesters sometimes,

2642_1111809150092_1072796345_34926.jpg

I practice with and Epi Valve Jr. at home. I go to ancient Fender Twins, or a Super Reverb of yesteryear and even a new Reinhardt 18 1/2 stack when I get a gig. Long as I don't have to carry them!

I don't play any better at all on the big ones, and I find the Epi perfect for home use on any of my guitars.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Separate Note:

Hi George.

Good to see you still visit "today's" forum.

Steve

Yes: Silver Jubilee =D>

Harmonicchaos' date=' I also have a Micro Cube from Roland, This amp is great and very usefull in certain situations[/quote']

he uses that for cleans. I think for dirty he uses his signature marshall.

OK. This is my first time posting pics from Photobucket. I hope I'm doing it right.

Amps002.jpg

I just recently got the VOX AD50DT. I love the B-52 AT212' date=' but it weighs 85 lbs. I'll still lug this thing to gigs, but for practice I now have the much lighter VOX. I'm not much of an effects guy. I only used to have my Dunlap Wah and a cheap chorus, but finally broke down and got the The BOSS ME50 about a year ago. I prefer this, because it's a multi effects processor and not some modeling gizmo. I wanted to preserve the natural tube tone of my B52.

[/quote']

I'm not much an effects guy either. I much rather prefer having two tube amps one for clean one for dirty, than having one amp with a jazillion effects, increasing the od on the sound etc.

The only pedals I would have is a Wah and maybe a little OD pedal for bluesy OD

I got Les Paul Standard 1989 and Fender Twin Amp 1994.With Mullard tubes at reverb and phase shifter slots combined NOS JAN Philips 6L6WGB power tubes it is great combination especially for blues/rock.I use my twin biased just for one pair of power tubes.Then it has about 60W output with stepdown into 12W .It weights a ton, but the sound is just what i have been after.Killer.

i play my les paul VM...

IMG_0222.jpg

through Fender Champs...

i love the tone of a champ...sure other amps are louder but to my ears few sound sweeter!

my modded champ 600 (mercury magnetics kit...speaker...trannies...choke...etc...with my 62 avri strat)

IMG_0178.jpg

my Fender 57 Tweed Reissue...

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

my tele sounds pretty damn good thru them as well!

IMG_0547.jpg

Archived