Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about a project

Randy1281734003

Hi guys (and ladies), I'm thinking about buying a used LP Studio to mod. and I have some questions since I've never modded before. I'm thinking used to keep the cost down, and I'll probably refinish it to my own taste. I'm thinking p-90 pups of some type , will they fit in existing cavities ? Will I need to change out any other electronics ? I'm also thinking of a Bigsby or some other type tailpiece, any recomendations or ideas are welcome. Would a humbucker in the neck and P90 in the bridge be an alternative ? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys (and ladies)' date=' I'm thinking about buying a used LP Studio to mod. and I have some questions since I've never modded before. I'm thinking used to keep the cost down, and I'll probably refinish it to my own taste. I'm thinking p-90 pups of some type , will they fit in existing cavities ? Will I need to change out any other electronics ? I'm also thinking of a Bigsby or some other type tailpiece, any recomendations or ideas are welcome. Would a humbucker in the neck and P90 in the bridge be an alternative ? Thanks in advance.[/quote']

P-90s won't fit the existing cavity, but there are many options for humbucker sized P90s.

Since you are thinking about refinishing it I think a Bigsby would be a great idea. I put a B70 on my Dot. I think a B7 or B5 or any of those with zeros after them would work. Personally I like the looks of the B7 over the B5. The reason I mentioned refinishing is that the post holes will not be covered if you put the Bigsby on. So since you plan on refinishing it any way you can plug the holes and no one will see anything.

There are also the Les Trem type of tail pieces that just replace the stop tailpiece and requires no drilling to mount. Just take the tailpiece off, mount it and play. I haven't used one but I think a few here have tried some. I think they range from about $75-$135.

If you are gonna put new pickups in it, I would just go ahead and get new electronics and wiring as well. You probably wouldn't have to, but I would. I like switchcraft jacks and switches. Since it is an Asian made guitar Alpha pots drop right in. CTS are a little better quality, but you will need to make the holes a little larger, no big deal. I put CTS pots in my G-400.

I have heard a lot of good things about the LP Studio. Have fun and post some pics when you are done.

Archived