Gibson Brands Forums

stupid deal arrived

TWANG

V3 combo was better than I expected.

Very few mods would be required to make this a lot nicer.

that and a 12" speaker!

Really very nice up to 12:00. after that my modded head just keeps getting better and better..

while the stock combo just farts out worse and worse

It does react well to pedals.. and I think it quite a bit brighter than the V2.. better than V2 all around.

But the low end, driven.. needs some serious help.

Really nicely made to.. haven't pulled the head just checked the ot and it shipping EH 12ax7 and sovtek el84.

the lp100 had only two things wrong.

second fret is a bit high. will fix that no sweat.

neck plate was a tad crooked.. neck set is fine though nice and straight, good tight pocket.

surprising amount of high end on the pups.. these aren't muddy at all.

the neck pup drives the combo in fart territory pretty easy..

excellent paint.. switch crackles a bit.. will need repair or replacement immediately. I kind of expected that, and think everyone does.

but overall. very nice sounding playing guitar.

certainly glad I got it at the price I did.

your saying the combo has a 12" speaker? My "few" arrive tomorrow - I cancelled all the others... found out they still have the Black and the Cherry for $249 with the VJ so I'm not gonna get rich cause I DON'T CONTROL THE MARKET like I thought :- I thought when they were all sold out it meant ALL - no... not all. So we cancelled the other orders so instead of 28 we're getting a "few" and that's it. I would have had to buy ALL they HIGH PERFORMANCE PACKAGES and Gawd knows how many that might be as they won't show a count. Might still keep a combo for myself as I love my head so much I'm sure I'd also love the combo.

If you put in a JJ, is there anything that should also be done? or is it alright to just drop in the different tube. I'm a complete newb to modding amps but was thinking that you would have to bias it or maybe something more from what I've been reading here and a few other sites..

No rattling I've heard.

the low end farts out. using the stock 8" speaker or my 12"ers.

they come stock with sovteks. at least my other two did, as well.

they've replaced the chinese 12ax7 with Electro Harmonix.

Strangedogs. there's always a catch isn't there! you must get used to your corporate masters. or as they say, isn't the meat meatier today now that big brother has solved all our problems!

a jj will help

a 12" speaker makes it huge. and better tone throughout.

My view as of right now on what mods need to be done..

C3 and C4 to 1uF.

pretty easy, that.

I say that first, because the low end is sooo crappy when you crank it.. and when you crank it it should shine even brighter, not turn to slush.

Then, a harder thing.. the SGR. Screen Grid Resistor. This isn't brain surgery, but you do have to cut a trace and drill two tiny holes to mount this single resistor which will save your tubes, and maybe more, in the event you play the living crap out of the thing, which you will be sorely tempted to do.

Then, the numbers crunch. You can't get around the fact that your heaters are probably too hot.. that your tubes are not in the sweet spot.

I know it seems daunting. but it makes the amp sound so much better, and the tubes will last longer.

I think you have two choices.. slap that jj in there. expect to get your best sound out of a high sensitivity 12" speaker. or more than one.

and use a pedal for EQ to tame the lows and get as much tone out of it as you can.

that way doesn't void your warranty, and requires no more than a speaker/cab and pedal.

The other way would require some simple careful soldering.. two points each component. No drilling. It's very basic and moves toward safety, long life and good tone without tremendous effort.

getting the numbers right is biasing and more.. but this is all known.. and there are many forums and great people to help out.

I didn't get a chance again today to mess with the combo. but tomorrow I'll put my multi effects in front of it.. and I'll see what can be done with EQ, ETC, to tame the amp for both the 8" and the 12" ext. cab.

TWANG

I took the back panel off the combo.. you have to be careful. they are tight.

a couple of hints on that..

the lower panel glue was a little messy.. so when you do pry it off do it from the top and angle it out.. slowly.. and the glue will give.

pull it quick and you'll risk tearing.

remove screws.. slide something behind the two little top legs of the back panel one at a time.. and pry out.. gently and slowly.. they'll come..

when both are about 1/2" out you can use fingertips but still go slow in case any glue is still not dry.

From there you can read the top of the OT. it'll say 5.2K.

and you can see the color of the board.. so you don't have to pull the head on it.

update on the lp100

tuners work and hold tune..

but no fine tuning at all

really hard to get tuned compared to grovers on my studio lp.

mini rotomatics with 18:1 ratio fit perfectly.

goin' on today.

no more hassling with getting correct tuning.

the black board is just a gem compared to the green one.

better parts, too.

I slipped in a 1M on R1. .couldnt' help myself.

a 10K on R2

C3 and $ are now 2.2uF..

I'm such a junky for this stuff.

I intended to sell it off.. since I have two..but then I thought.. why not use the extra parts you have.. make it real nice.. and sell it at the same price anyway.

somebodys gonna get a stock looking VJ that blows their doors off. *G*

your saying the combo has a 12" speaker? My "few" arrive tomorrow - I cancelled all the others... found out they still have the Black and the Cherry for $249 with the VJ so I'm not gonna get rich cause I DON'T CONTROL THE MARKET like I thought ;) I thought when they were all sold out it meant ALL - no... not all. So we cancelled the other orders so instead of 28 we're getting a "few" and that's it. I would have had to buy ALL they HIGH PERFORMANCE PACKAGES and Gawd knows how many that might be as they won't show a count. Might still keep a combo for myself as I love my head so much I'm sure I'd also love the combo.

I think you made the right call for sure! You'll like the combo...best part of the deal IMHO.

I gave the lp100 a light level crown and polish.. swapped the knobs for black.. installed grover locking tuners..new set of strings..

that thing rocks!

I modded the combo to marshall.. perfect except my heaters are at 7.2 and gotta fix that.

sounds fantastic already.

I'll sell the combo though. don't need three VJs very much.

Try to get as close to street price new as I can I guess, pretty good deal with all the mods I did.

My sons friend is looking for a guitar so I'll pitch here the LP100 cheaper than used price..

lots of fun, doin' a friend and a stranger a good deed.. a tiny bit of cash for all my trouble..

and I'm tempted to go for the combo deal at 249.00.. just for the fun I had this time.

I suppose real guitar stores must hate my guts. *S*

My pc fried about a week ago. so I'm still working that out.

this one has a crappy sound card..:-(

My kid wont let me in his room!

so . in time, I will.

think it's the power supply.. gonna pull the thing apart this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the combo last Wednesday when they were the SDotD. have them both on ebay. Would be willing to deal with someone on this forum if anyone is interested. I was going to keep the combo, would make my second one. But, once it arrived I decided that I'm going to buy a head and mod it instead. I like the way combo & the head look, so this way I can have one of each and still be able to get the trippy stereo effect going.

If anyone is interested I can post the link to the auction. Just thought I would throw it out there.

You could pull the head and build a cab for it.. there are guys at sewatt who would take the empty cab.

I put my combo up, too. But there's a slew of them and I doubt it will sell.

Good, then I'll mod it some more!

TWANG

I should have gotten a g 310 though.

You could pull the head and build a cab for it.. there are guys at sewatt who would take the empty cab.

I put my combo up' date=' too. But there's a slew of them and I doubt it will sell.

Good, then I'll mod it some more!

TWANG

I should have gotten a g 310 though.

[/quote']

Now that the supply has dried up, I think the 100/vj combo should start to sell on Ebay. I did see at least one go for $300 plus $50.00 shipping on Ebay least week.

I hear ya TWANG. I have my G-310 on ebay from the first G-310 SDotD a week ago. I will probably sell this one (already sold the VJr combo for $100) and then use the money to buy another performance pack to sell the G-310 at a later date, but keep the combo. The G-310 is a turd (just pulling your chain lol!!!:- ). I didn't play mine because I am selling it as unplayed, but it did not look like that bad of a guitar.... definitely a good platform to do some modding to.

I don't understand the concept of always looking forward to the next guitar as someone has stated on here. If you are buying a pawn shop guitar or a steal on ebay to mod then resell as a method to finance a new guitar, then I understand it. But if like you, you are taking a guitar bought for little money and doing some upgrades to get it where you want it, and plan on playing it for a while, then more power to ya brother! I did this with a couple Squier 51s that I paid $100 each for.

Well. I'll be polishing another turd soon.. cause I bought the combo pack in black just now.

the lp 100 was much better than I thought.. and you should be able to sell a g310 or lp 100 for the special II price.

I don't care about profiting off it.. the guitar will go to a sons friend. soon as she decides which one she wants..

The amps will get modified really nicely, then sold as close to new prices as possible. No money really, considering the parts and shipping and effort.. but I get to have fun! and it's going to be free fun.

there's a huge number of lp 100s g 310s and combos on ebay right now.. some going cheaper than the darn sale price!

I think everyone had the same idea but didn't realize how many people had that idea.

It'll bottom out pretty soon, I suppose.

My epi lp studio is a sweet guitar, not much for mods. pups and knobs.. new caps.. that thing needs no more and still saved me money since I got it on sale, too.

Archived