Gibson Brands Forums

Dropped Guitar

No, a visible surface blemish does nothing.

Now, the impact of smacking a laminate body into the ground could cause microfracturing along internal stress points in the glue and have all kinds of structural integrity and tone impacts. Not necessarily anything to worry about (you could smash your guitar up against the curb pretty bad and if the neck doesn't crack and the body stays mostly in tact save for what you crack off around the edges it might just be uglied; think about routing it out to add more electronics, or cutting another LP cut for a double-cut, zero impact), but not necessarily harmless either.

Hmm...what do you think I should look for to ensure that the damage is only cosmetic?

I dont know what you are spending, but whatever it is, its money you COULD have put towards a guitar that has never been dropped. if its 100 bucks thats great, but if inside six months the neck starts to separate or some other horror becomes apparent, you would want that benjamin back. and its probably not 100 bucks but more... I would pass.

I'd ask the guy who dropped it first.

how far. onto what.

everyone makes good points.. but they're a little fussbudgety to me..

for instance he let it slip out of the case and was holding the neck but it hit something or the ground or pavement..

most likely he just bunged up the finish..

he threw it at his brother and it bounced off and landed on the garage room.. whole other concern there.

TWANG

Yeah, and pure body damage is easy. Sand what's left of the finish, add a little wood chips/dust + glue mix for a body putty mixed with some good dye, let that settle together, give it a good sanding and then a dye coat (yes dye on dye), and then lacquer it ;)

Not that I've done this.

I'd ask the guy who dropped it first.

how far. onto what.

everyone makes good points.. but they're a little fussbudgety to me..

for instance he let it slip out of the case and was holding the neck but it hit something or the ground or pavement..

most likely he just bunged up the finish..

he threw it at his brother and it bounced off and landed on the garage room.. whole other concern there.

TWANG

its only fussbudgetting if there is a budget in place... So..... how much is the guy charging you for it and what kind of spill did it take?

Archived