Gibson Brands Forums

reverb?

ok ok ok so i got my black quit top.. and the nat. custom... and a hothead distorton pld. witch i like ok... today i picked up a tube screamer then i started thinking.. is their a mod for the half stack that will add or give me a nice re-verb or can someone show me a nice re-verb pld any hoot thanks in advance and sorry for the spelling lol

Marshall Reflector RF-1 reverb pedal. 6 different types of reverb, all of 'em sound good. Costs less than the BOSS Reverb and sounds better IMHO, $99.00 street price (I scored one for $69.00 at Guitar Center cause the only one they had was a floor model and had never been played). Just make sure to find a correct AC adapter for it because they eat batteries like candy.

+1 on the marshall reflector. they all sound good, especially number 4 (a mix of spring and hall)

I like boss stuff, but the reverb didnt sound as nice, didnt feel as nice and wasnt as well made or as easy to use as the RF1.

Some stuff I'm seeing through google is going on and on for like 2 paragraphs about how their tube-based analog reverb is so awesome because it uses NOS tubes and NOS tubes sound better than current production crap. :|

This make me curious. You can build tube-based reverb? I thought that required a tape loop or similar, like delay? (hey, I'd rather build a reverb tube pedal than buy one, it's more FUN)

http://www.guyatone.com/Fr3Kv.php <-- how does this work @_@

Some stuff I'm seeing through google is going on and on for like 2 paragraphs about how their tube-based analog reverb is so awesome because it uses NOS tubes and NOS tubes sound better than current production crap. :|

This make me curious. You can build tube-based reverb? I thought that required a tape loop or similar' date=' like delay? (hey, I'd rather build a reverb tube pedal than buy one, it's more FUN)

http://www.guyatone.com/Fr3Kv.php <-- how does this work @_@[/quote']

that looks like a copy of a fender reverb tank. it passes half your signal through a set of springs "hence spring reverb" and the other half it does nothing to. then it mixes the signals and sends it to your amp. its about as big as an amp head and I beleive you plug into it and plug it into your amp.

like a giant pedal.

all reverb was tube based at first.

I may be wrong about how it all works at each level but thats the basic idea. I think it would cost too much to build your own, might as well just buy the whole thing. unless of course, you like to solder #-o

Yep. Big as an amp head, but the circuit is as simple as can be. Here's a link to Fender's '63 reissue surf box schematic.

http://www.fender.com/support/amp_schematics/pdfs/63_Reverb_Schematic.pdf

As you can see in the schematic, the actual voltage to the power tube's plate is pretty low, and it's running in triode mode. Heavy attenuation between stages of the 12aT7 further reduces gain.

Oddly enough, the Crate VC508 has a power transformer that is perfect (just wimpy enough) for the job. If you pull the el84 and use a 6V6, the lower heater and plate current used by the octal tube will compensate for the additional current required by the extra preamp tube, so the PT should see roughly the same load as before. The original Crate OT may also turn out to be a good candidate for the reverb tank transformer, since a muddy and smeared signal can actually be a good thing in this particular spot. That's also why the cheesiest of cables are often found running to and from the tank.

I've got an old tank from a Messy Booger that will work perfectly in this circuit. I know, because I tried it out on a '63 Fender Reverb I had on my bench a few months ago for repairs. And yep, I just gutted a Crate VC508 in preparation for exactly this purpose. I'm using the Fender schematic. 8-[

Gil....

Archived