Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Pass Pickups

layboomo

Well she's finished...forgot what a pain in the *** wiring hollowbodies is =; !

The Mean 90's Really sound great! The Neck tones are flat out great. [endquote]

It looks great. Well even if they are a bit of a bear to wire up' date='

it's well worth the effort. The GFS jazz style tailpiece looks real good too.

I'm thinking of replacing both of mine on the Emp IIs I'm not that crazy about

the standard issue tp, because it falls off unless there is tension on it when

restringing. [/quote']

Thanks ...yeah it is worth it...just takes a little patience. The GFS tailpieces are nice and work well....the only thing is the chrome plating has a bit of an orange peel to it on the flat surfaces. That's a bit nit picky though...what do you want for $20? The neck pickup is really nice on this guitar.....big and warm just like I hoped it would be....and it's very quiet too.](*,)

I'm pleased that you're pleased! All that, and you've got what? $100? over the purchase cost? I have a set of Phatcats in a Dot Studio that impresses me over and over. If only I could have gone straight to the mod's I wound up with in a couple of my first attempts. I have parts I won't admit to buying, that I'm quite sure I'll be a while before I stick them in another guitar, just because the first experiment was such a disaster.

Thanks ...yeah it is worth it...just takes a little patience. The GFS tailpieces are nice and work well....the only thing is the chrome plating has a bit of an orange peel to it on the flat surfaces. That's a bit nit picky though...what do you want for $20? The neck pickup is really nice on this guitar.....big and warm just like I hoped it would be....and it's very quiet too.O:)

Did you send Jay an email mentioning that? He might arrange an exchange. I bought

some chrome keystones from him and the plating is very good.

As far as his tp, considering, I was going to spend $225 on a D'Angelico tp for my big blonde Broad..way,

thats a steal. This was before GFS started to stock these cast tp. I ended up making my own

out of solid copper then having it gold plated..shipping and plating = $100, so I did save about

half the cost of the D'Angelico TP, but it was a LOT of work fabricating it.

So, how does your quintessential jazz box sound now? did you end up using push-pull tone pots and .047/.022uf

caps, or just the traditional wiring?

I'm pleased that you're pleased! All that' date=' and you've got what? $100? over the purchase cost? I have a set of Phatcats in a Dot Studio that impresses me over and over. If only I could have gone straight to the mod's I wound up with in a couple of my first attempts. I have parts I won't admit to buying, that I'm quite sure I'll be a while before I stick them in another guitar, just because the first experiment was such a disaster.

[/quote']

Yup those pickups are sweet....I've made some poor choices in the past too,but this one is a home run! $152.75 with tuners, tailpiece,roller bridge, pups,and electronics....not bad at all.

carverman GFS told me they are all like that and it's not that bad at all for the $. The tuners I got from him are outstanding for $21.95 a set! I went with 500k vol pots/250K tone controls and .022uf caps ....traditional style no p/p. I'll try and do a real quickie demo clip for you in the next few days.

Sweet! What amp did you use? And where is the rest of the clip?

Thanks...the clips are really short becuase of the file size limits for youtube vs quality with my camcorder...15 seconds is about it. I should do just audio...but then I have to drag a computer in and it's not as fast. The amp is a '67 blackface fender bandmaster through a cab I built myself with 1 15" altec and 1 10" JBL.

• 1 month later...

Archived