Gibson Brands Forums

Saw the Slash LP

Red 333

Saw the Slash LP at a local GC today. Manufactured at the EE plant. Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock. The one-piece neck seemed made of a reasonalby nice-looking piece of mahogany. Nice. Comfortable, too. The body was not two-piece (like an Elitist or Gibson), but made of several slabs. Well-executed burst on the top. The back's veneer was a very good looking, too, and made the body look like a more expensive instrument. The color coat could have been scraped off around the bindings better on the model I saw. Hardware looked very good, and nickel, as advertised. It had a Top Hat shaped cling adhered to the front of the guitar that called out the long tennon, pick ups, etc. Didn't play it (SORRY--too crowded and noisy, and wasn't sure if they were even supposed to have it out on display).

Red 333

Even as a big Slash-fan I'm just wondering what the big deal is here? Why don't people buy a (Antique Vintage Sunburst/Tobacco burst) Standard Les Paul and stick in a pair of SD Alnico2 Pros? Is it the tophat logo?

Every once in a while Epiphone comes up with a ltd ed or signature model that promises a bit more than a basic Epiphone LP Standard (although the EE plus tops are really nice these days). In this case, for me it's not just the pickups that makes the Slash LP interesting. I'm personally intrigued by the different neck and the level of quality and detail an expensive model like the Slash, ZW and other signature models should have.

I'm curious to see if the Slash looks and feels like a great Les Paul as it should for that price (hell, even the plus tops are close to a Gibson Standard these days), but not curious enough to start planning on buying one....

Even as a big Slash-fan I'm just wondering what the big deal is here? Why don't people buy a (Vintage Sunburst) Standard Les Paul and stick in a pair of SD Alnico2 Pros? Is it the tophat logo?

Ah, just "Marketing," trying to sell another "endorsed" guitar! That's all!

But, it usually works, so...who are the fools?

Ah' date=' just "Marketing," trying to sell another "endorsed" guitar! That's all!

But, it usually works, so...who are the fools?[/quote']

Hey guys hows it goin? I used to be on here last year for a while and then ventured over onto the Gibson site, but I still love Epi's and currently own one. This may or may not be a "newsbreak" to some of you but heres the deal. This guitar is superior to the regular Epi line for a few reasons and its not just the "Slash" designation. When Epi says "Solid mahogany body", this means that they are actually using mahogany for the body. The regular line uses mahogany and similar species "tone wood" mix for the body. Same with the maple cap. Under the veneer on the regular Epi line is often a mix of maple and alder wood. Remember the 57 reissue LP Junior? (Damn I still want that guitar!) Well, the TV Yellow version was listed as a solid mahogany body while the Sunburst version (veneer) was listed as "tonewood" body. Thats why they were the same price despite the fancier look of the Sunburst finish.

Ok now. There are the Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups. Obviously an upgrade from the standard pickups. And just as important to detail as the wood discription mentioned above, the LONG NECK TENON. This is true to vintage spec. If you don't know the difference between the regular short neck tenon and long neck tenon, I would "Google" some research up about this. My 06' Gibson Les Paul Standard doesn't even have a long neck tenon. Of course, my Gibson has all of the other major important specs that this guitar doesn't have but hey, it cost over 3 times as much as the Slash Epi LP. I truly appreciate Slash's playing but I am not really one to purchase signature guitars. But as far as I see it, from Epiphone there is the regular Les Paul line, then the Slash signature, then the Elitist. The Slash model is a severe upgrade my friends. If you like Slash or not, this is a great guitar and worthy of purchase. Just my .o2 cents.......

And just as important to detail as the wood discription mentioned above' date=' the LONG NECK TENON. This is true to vintage spec.[/quote']

The tenon doesn't really matter as much as you'd hope, as long as the woods and workmanship are what they are. Sure, the tenon is a nice topic to argue over a pint but IMO with the Epiphone level of "vintage specs" it's not the size but how you use it what matters... :D

Interesting info Manimal. I guess you really like the Slash.:-)

On a sidenote. I'm with Biff on the long tenon. The long tenon tone-advantage is debatable. And one of The Gibson Slash Custom shop signatures has the short one I believe, making it kind of a mute point.

Maybe Epiphone is a bit more selective in their choice of Mahogany wood for the Slash-signature. But I wouldn't budget the wood of the standard Epi Les Pauls in the same category as TV special's "tonewood".

Let's wait and hear.

Remember the 57 reissue LP Junior? (Damn I still want that guitar!) Well' date=' the TV Yellow version was listed as a solid mahogany body while the Sunburst version (veneer) was listed as "tonewood" body. Thats why they were the same price despite the fancier look of the Sunburst finish.[/quote']

By the way, who's your source for this information? I think there's some confusion here.

The old, old Epiphone DC juniors had good woods on red bodies and cheap woods on black bodies. When the '57 Juniors came out, the MF website listed the sunburst model having a tonewood body, but soon changed the description to match the TV Yellow one (see MF today: "solid mahogany body"). That's the way rumors start, someone jumps to conclusions without taking a look in the pickup cavity. And sorry no, I haven't checked the woods on mine either.

Edit: Hey, this was my 100. post!! Champagne for everyone!

champagnetoast.jpg

By the way' date=' who's your source for this information? I think there's some confusion here.

The old, old Epiphone DC juniors had good woods on red bodies and cheap woods on black bodies. When the '57 Juniors came out, the MF website listed the sunburst model having a tonewood body, but soon changed the description to match the TV Yellow one (see MF today: "solid mahogany body"). That's the way rumors start, someone jumps to conclusions without taking a look in the pickup cavity. And sorry no, I haven't checked the woods on mine either.

Edit: Hey, this was my 100. post!! Champagne for everyone!

[img']http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/champagnetoast.jpg[/img]

Hey Biff hows it going.

When these 57 Junior Reissues first came out, it was a guitar in the perfect price range for me. Plus I have allways been caught up by the look, sound, and simplicity of Jr's. I got to play the Sunburst version and I liked it quite a bit.

Long story short, I still didn't quite have the dough at the time to purchase one and had plenty of time to research and obsess, like we all do over gear. I like the look of the Sunburst sooooooo much better, and couldn't understand why basic TV Yellow paintjob was the same price of the Sunburst. I studied the descriptions and there it was "Solid Tonewood". At the time I really didn't know that much about wood, so I was a bit put off. Heres the thing though, as I"m sure you know, just because a guitar is built with mahogany doesn't mean that that one particular guitar is allways going to be superior. Obviously some mahogany can be better than others, and certainly a good batch or type of tonewood is better than a poor quality dense piece or pieces of mahogany so its really all over the place.

Now due to my curiosity when I read the specs and saw the wood differences in the specs, I called MF and asked a salesperson and he had no idea about the differences. I then spoke with a more informed representative and he flat out told me that the descriptions were right and that the Sunburst would certainly be more expensive than the TV Yellow if it had the same "solid mahogany. I also called Epi customer service and at the time this was confirmed. Now if they had changed and made specs the same after that time, well then thats a different story. Didn't mean to fire any one up at all over this. Whether these Epi's have tonewood or mahogany, in the end it doesn't really matter that much. They're still excellent playing and sounding guitars for the money. Oh yeah and as far as the long neck tenon goes, I tend to agree with you guys that its debatable about the long neck tenon. Try telling that to an Elitist owner LOL. That won't go over easily. And as far as the Gibson Slash USA, it is a short tenon just like the regular standard line. Apparently Gibson is going to make a couple different options for 08'. Variations like a "Traditional" model with "medium-long" tenon (jeez whats the point? Long or Short why a mix?), and the regular "chambered" short tenon Standard. This of course like many other things with Gibson is not official yet but this info is available, I"ll have to find the info and post it for fellow Gibson owners here if interested.

Anyway, jeez I just wrote a book I guess, and Biff, I'm jealous over that JR!!!! I still want one! What a sweet axe!

manimal, I agree the '57 Junior is a nice one.. And I don't care about the woods at this point, it's been good and that's that. It's a shame Epiphone doesn't either know or want to tell much about their instruments made all over Asia, most of the specs they give out are just generic details for marketing.

Now that they aren't well available anymore and Gibson has the standard Juniors discontinued for the moment, I think I have to take better care of my '57 :-

junior1.jpg

There you go again Biff! You own the guitar that got away from me!!

Gosh' date=' this means the Limited Editions are limited by number after all? default_eusa_wall.gif I'm sorry manimal.

junior5.jpg

Some European dealers still have them in stock, I thought about getting another one but the current price (265 eur) is a bit too expensive. We'll just have to wait for a clearance ...

Apparently Gibson is going to make a couple different options for 08'. Variations like a "Traditional" model with "medium-long" tenon (jeez whats the point? Long or Short why a mix?)' date=' and the regular "chambered" short tenon Standard.

[/quote']

I hear ya Manimal. Medium-long?? My Epi LP "Midnight" LE has a long tenon routing, but they used a short tenon! Half-long tenon anyone?

Gosh' date=' this means the Limited Editions are limited by number after all? :) I'm sorry manimal.

[img']http://epihistory.googlepages.com/junior5.jpg[/img]

Some European dealers still have them in stock, I thought about getting another one but the current price (265 eur) is a bit too expensive. We'll just have to wait for a clearance ...

Damn it!! You're good with a camera too!! Ahh! yeah thats almost $410 US. Don't know if I would swing that. All I know is that I really want a junior this year, maybe I'll find one of these

I hear ya Manimal. Medium-long?? My Epi LP "Midnight" LE has a long tenon routing, but they used a short tenon! Half-long tenon anyone?[/quote

And actually I got that Gibson info backwards. The tenon is actually going to be a long tenon, if not "longer" than long tenon, yet with a chambered body. The "Traditional" will be back to a solid body (still weight relieved with "Swiss Cheese Holes" in mahogany body underneath maple cap, and short tenon. God! Talk about give and take. Jeez. At least there are choices. At the end of the day, any guitar from a MIC Epi Lp or Elitist or Gibbo will talk to any individual differently in terms of budget, playability, and quality. An *** for every seat, if you will. I want one of each!

Archived