Gibson Brands Forums

Kahler floating trem?

metalhed717

'Floating' means it is delicately balanced against the string tension and can go both up and down. Similar to a Floyd Rose setup but if memory serves the Kahlers came out first. And yes, extensive routing is required although there's a specific model for Les Pauls that mounts on the standard studs without routing apparently.

Here is a pic of my strat.....the Kahlers travel farther in the up position than a floyd(mostly dive bombs)as far as I understand things...and that requires a fair amount of movement. Mine had to be an afterthought too because the body has string thru holes on the back too.Guitars016.jpg

Here is a pic of my strat.....the Kahlers travel further in the up position than a floyd(mostly dive bombs)as far as I understand things...and that requires a fair amount of movement. Mine had to be an afterthought too because the body has string thru holes on the back too.Guitars016.jpg

how much routing are we talking?

About the size of a regular pack of smokes and approx. 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep.

I have one on my Tokai strat. I didn't put it there it was there when I bought it and I didn't have the original parts to go back stock so I left it. the Khaler is definitely smoother than a Floyd Rose IMHO but I'm not a dive bomber (went through that phase in the 80's) I just use it for subtle texture. I agree with the other guys, mine holds tune really well.

Les Trem's DO NOT require any routing, however the owner of the German company(abmmueller) that makes them recently died and the company is thus changing ownership, so right now they are not readily available. Stew Mac says they should be getting them soon.. Here is a link to the website of the manufacture: http://www.abmmueller.de/index2.html?tremolo.html

Archived