Gibson Brands Forums

I need an opinion...

TehLesPaulZorz

I'm thinking about getting the "1966" G-400, but what kind of pick-ups does it have, a mean like V or Classic? What about the Trans Red G-400 Deluxe. Also combined with the Valve Junior 1/2 Stack, will I get a good vintage, Led Zeppelin sound? One more question, should I just get a Epi Les Paul Standard?

as regards the amp, the gain is there.. the stock amp is dampened a bit for highs, even with the 1M in R1 which they now have, but it's not bad, or lacking in any serious way.

*I'm thinking jimmys tele sounds would be ok.. it's kinda dark with humbucks though*

as long as you combine your cabs to make 4 8 or 16 ohms off one speaker out jack you'll be fine.

cGil has one 16ohm into the amps 8ohm tap.. and one 8ohm into the amps 4ohm tap.. and he says it sounds great.

Most people wire their extra cab so that you have, for instance, two 8 ohm cabs connected together for either 8 or 16 ohms plugged into just one of the amps spkr jacks.

I bang away at communication breakdown and whole lotta love but they sound better on the modded amp.

If you don't want to get into mods. use a pedal. these things love pedals anyway!

You may not even want any extra eq on the V3 amps that are now out, if you're running at least one 12" speaker with at or close to 100db sensitivity. the stock vj eminence will do just fine, one or two.

Most people wire their extra cab so that you have' date=' for instance, two 8 ohm cabs connected together for either 8 or 16 ohms plugged into just one of the amps spkr jacks.[/quote']

I'd like to meet some of those people. There is no way in the universe to connect two 8O loads together and get 8O. You get either 4O (parallel) or 16O (series).

Archived