Gibson Brands Forums

New Tweaky Mod

Hey everyone, I am getting my tweaky mod soon, I just ordered it from thetubestore.com. Can anyone tell me there pre-work drill. LIke take out the chassis check the voltage etc etc. I just want to start my modding the right way. And could someone just post a picture for me on where to put my voltage reader probes to check the voltage. I hope its not too much, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks alot you guys, youve really helped me alot.

Tweaky shouldn't need drilling....

I just opened my case and threw in the BitMo Trio mod (awesome mod btw, I now have some awesome tones, including a sweet sparkly clean mode and a softer clean that gets LOUD and sounds like an acoustic guitar!), 4 solder points (2 on volume, 4 on board).

Should I just go with the Trio? Im just worried about the difficulty, I would rather have it, instead of one tone, I could have all of the tweaky tones, and a cool new knob and switch :-P. If it was that easy I might just get that. But how easily can you get a high-gain cranked sound? Not like metal, but like a nice rock setting.

dude.

JJ gold pin 12AX7 matched-balanced, JJ EL84 #35 from Eurotubes, a PROPER OT (V3 5.2K impedance or a Hammond), crank volume to about half way, and play a chord. Play Rock You Like a Hurricane on the lower pickup on your Les Paul with your tone knob up.

On the Trio, I throw that switch to Whoa, pull the gain knob, turn it up 3/4 way, volume up to 1/3 or so, and do the same; but the Mo setting (middle) has a nice sound to it too.

I did the install myself, it was a little scary but a GOOD iron makes it work. Get a nice Weller iron that the tips slide into, not a screw-in iron that takes a tip a centimeter deep. Weller 40 watt iron is nice but will set fire to wood (I did okay, but managed to desolder a resistor by accident haha...); 18 watts works well.

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. I soldered the leads that went to R6 to R8, and the R8 leads to R6. It muted my amp entirely, no input signal passed but I got a little humm. Had to desolder that stuff and then switch it around. Totally fixed.

Drilling is annoying. The drill walks (use a tiny drill bit to start a little notch, then use a bigger bit) and you should use the guides and decals to determine where to drill. The decals fall apart easy, be very gentle. I pieced some back together after a tear without problems. Again, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

I'm thinking $300 THC hotplate but the bitmo one is WAY cheaper. It depends what you can afford. I am putting a lot into my audio set up, just for polish; I want a freaking awesome amp and I will take the high end attenuator with it. But for me I'll be a good amp tech some day too, not just a good player. If you just want to dip the sound down a bit take the cheap one and maybe the tone is okay.

I really never need an Attenuator - I crank mine - but I found my Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer works as a "poor man's" Attenuator. Crank the amp up - turn the LEVEL on the TS down to where you like (bedroom levels, etc) and you get a fully charged amp at low volumes - you can actually shut it off with the LEVEL knob - I've had mine at AM Radio Volumes with all the distortion my amp would produce @ 10.

I use a Weber MiniMass 25 for my Epi. Way cheaper ($75) than a THD and it has a switch for 4/8/16 ohms and a high freq boost if you need it. It does take forever (3 weeks for me) to get the Weber after you order it. I don't know why THD can't make a Hotplate that is usuable for different ohm settings. Seems like a huge ripoff and the technology is just resistors-same as the 10uator.

Archived