Gibson Brands Forums

I don't think Epiphone

Svet

realizes what a cash cow this forum is for them. I can honestly say that had it not been for the fine forum members here that provide such wonderful discussions and beautiful pictures of their guitars I would probably own only a small handful of axes. This place is a far greater advertisement than any rag or commercial they could ever muster up. You would think they would invest more of their time and efforts on this place but judging by all of the issues here and on the old forum they surely do not. Any thoughts?

Svet

Svet, since you asked for thoughts....

I think that Gibson providing a forum for discussing Epiphones, and sometimes

their guitar cousins is terrific idea. However, because they own the forum and service it,

they have the final say in what goes in and the conduct of users.

Discussions on technical improvements so that we can enjoy our Epis even more,

may not always generate sales in aftermarket parts for them, but it certainly

leads to informed users and owners, to make their own judgements.

I think they are doing a fine job, even if they have to yank out counter-productive

posts occasionally, or threads that seem to deteriorate past the intent of this forum.

Well, duhhh, why do you think this forum is here? Epiphone (and Gibson) know that these fora serve two functions; they're a great sales tool (nothing like buyer testimonials) as well as a great source of tech support services which they get without having to hire anybody, thereby taking the load off their chair warmers at 1-800-gibson. If it was otherwise, this forum wouldn't exist, since it still costs them money to host and maintain it. Plus they have to pay some guy to censor it...

If you re-read my post you will see I full well understand the benefit these forums offer Epiphone and Gibson. What I fail to appreciate is the lack of support in keeping these forum maintained in the hardware/software domains on their end. There are frequent issues as we all know with the old forum and this forum is showing series holes in it too... You would think otherwise given the benefits discussed above.

Ah, yeah, well, obviously the trick there is to provide the bare minimum possible... which means that there will be occasions of high traffic which will result in slowdowns. You do remember that they asked us to keep the pix down to a reasonable level but nonetheless a bunch of us started embedding pix in our sig and posting ginormous photos... and bandwidth costs $$$.

As to their 'time and effort', well, hopefully they pay enough attention to get a feel for what the buying public would like to see in the way of products but personally I'd rather they keep their hands off as much as possible; whenever they invest any effort, stuff disappears (wanna talk about GFS?).

Anyway I was merely pointing out that these guys know exactly how valuable these fora are, trust me... not taking a shot at ya, bud.

Well I look at it like this....Epi saves alot of $$ on marketing consultants and R&D with the iformation exchanged on these forums. Look at the valve jr amps for example ......Epi's current version incorporates tone and performance improvements which originated and were refined on forums. When they want to move a certain model guitar....this forum and the various online retailers work hand in hand to create the demand and the buzz. With regard to moderating and maintaining the forums.... you can really only go in two directions ...and I happen to prefer them leaving us alone. That may seem like they ignore us sometimes,but better that than to have some Nazi Forum Moderator Police Squad IMHO.

<...> .and I happen to prefer them leaving us alone. <...>.

Couldn't agree more. In another forum I frequent, the owner/moderator nukes any posts that recommend any competing products. It would be like Gibson nuking any posts that mentioned Fender guitars, StewMac and other competing outlets.

Actually, I would guess it is very difficult to maintain a forum site as extensive as this and the Gibson ones are. The new forum does get bogged down and goes down, but for a completely redesigned forum, I don't think they are having an extraordinary amount of problems and I think they respond in a reasonable time frame.

Insights and incites by Notes

Ah! PAID -- now it begins to clear up.

I think you don't get paid for anything you don't have responsibility for, and you should get paid for everything you DO have responsibility for. I am responsible for me, and not much else. On the other hand, I can pretty much do and say anything I please because I'm not responsible. Has anybody ever asked Epi to get paid??? Let's try...

Hey! Moderator! Pay up!

Guess nobody's home. Probably out writing new restrictions for posting on the site without getting paid.

I'd like to get paid by the note instead of by the gig!!!

If I did get paid by the note' date=' I'd be brushing up on my bop scales in a hurry.[/size']

I think John Coltrane and Charlie Parker may have been paid by the note ;-)

18th/19th century European writers got paid by the word. That's why all those old novels do things like: "To whom, may I ask, have I the pleasure of addressing these simple, yet elegant words?" instead of "Who are you?"

I'd like to get paid by the note instead of by the gig!!!

If I did get paid by the note' date=' I'd be brushing up on my bop scales in a hurry.<...>[/quote']

18th/19th century European writers got paid by the word. That's why all those old novels do things like: "To whom' date=' may I ask, have I the pleasure of addressing these simple, yet elegant words?" instead of "Who are you?"[/quote']

Paid by the note, what a fantasy....

Besides for bop scales .... "Can you spell glissando and grace notes boys and girls?"

Actually, on the sax it is more difficult to play slowly than to play fast. I haven't gotten to that point on the guitar yet.

Notes

Paid by the note' date=' what a fantasy....

Besides for bop scales .... [i']"Can you spell glissando and grace notes boys and girls?"[/i]

Actually, on the sax it is more difficult to play slowly than to play fast. I haven't gotten to that point on the guitar yet.

Notes

There's a national lampoon spoof of Mr. Rogers where the have a bass player as a guest and when asked what he does for a living, he sais something to the effect of "I get paid for each note I'm puttin' out into space...and the way I see it...I ain't makin' too much!"

g-l-i-s-s-a-n-d-o a-n-d g-r-a-c-e n-o-t-e-s glissando and grace notes.

Man, even Homer Simpson gets jokes. You have had several jokes on several threads clip you on the head as they went right over it. That's because you are 13 and you are trying to have conversations with people that are much older. That is not a put down. It's a fact. It doesn't matter one bit how good you are on the guitar. You're 13. It shows in every post you write. And I find it hilarious that you are clueless to your own situation. So keep doing it!!! Because that's what 13 year olds do. Then they grow up. About 10 years later. Or 20...or..............

in a way we are getting paid by epiphone.... if it werent for this forum, i would have tried to shell out 1500 for a lefty sg... i will prob put used gibson pick ups in it and get a dressing done and a new nut.... and thatll prob add up to 200... plus 315 i STOLE the lefty for... plus the fact that i got a case for 40 bucks. 555 once its done for almost the exact guitar maybe some green keys from GFS.

... and if this one breaks in half like my "real" gibson did, i wont be as upset knowing it will only ever be worth a fraction of what it was..... and because of this forum, i will not be selling my Sheraton for almost nothing when i get it back from my buddys house..... just fresh strings and prob some new pick ups... it wasnt a gibson, or a usa so i used to think it was crap.... sigh.... i only bought it to sell it later.... thanks epiphone...

and im sure this is a good marketing tool for real USER and perfectionist approaches... i mean seriously, epi is gonna make gibson like guitars to get the money of the working stiff guitar player or the guys like me whos parents wouldnt buy them a guitar so it was OUR hard earned 500 dollars that bought our first good non fender style..

epiphone sees that proffessionals, conosuers and people like me that cant justify 2000 dollars for a "good guitar" anymore (because hell, they can break, get stolen and honestly, i have so many as it is that i would rather see that premium dollar go to my childs college fund or home improvements etc)so there are nicer epis like the elitist, custom... etc.... epi is listening and listening LOUD and F'N CLEAR..... then put these guitars in the hands of the rock stars (im sure they are set up like crazy and gutted) and BOOOM epiphone is less and less associated with copy guitars and more as a PLAYERS guitar. not a Dr. that cant plays wall art, or the guy like me that bought a gibson rather than my first car. gibson are GREAT instraments, but i would NEVER modify them....

people are saying the SOAP bar theme is a BOOM thats becuase of forums and what not... in away its true... for the past couple of years, people have been buying up soap bar guitars and the whole :reissue: montage is HOT all over the place... soap bars just look freekin sweet reguardless of tone... they capture the late 50s ness of new rock look..... and all in all, hair bands KILLED the coolness of emg and coil tapped this and that and funky colors... Grunge brought in all the surf style and jaguar esq guitars back into being valuable and fender/other companies are started reisssuing all the cool guitars and value skyrocketed.....

soap bars are a cool new look with a lot of class with them... people are looking for the rare coolness now... look at the boom of eastwood guitars... most of them are soap bars.... things come in waves....

15 years ago jeans were tight *high wasted and tight ankled and awkward..but still tight... 10 years ago relaxed fit with a shorter waist height became popular... 5 years ago it was baggy and even skirt-like.... now its back to more form fitting with a slight boot to them... of course the styles and cut changes but the form is similar...

vintage vintage vintage and reissue reissue reissue....

i remember when the 70s fenders werent worth S?%%T now the thin lines are going up to 1000-3000 dollar asking prices....WTF... rareity and forgotten ideas come back.

Some discount on Epiphone gear (shirts and stuff) would be a nice start.

I think they should have a Forums T shirt..

Amps and Accessories

Epiphone Electrics

etc.

and an official Forums poster

and it wouldn't kill them to have a three prize picture contest.

not just pro pics, but interesting pics. showing epis off in some cool way.

showing mods or piles of epi gear..

we do that anyway..and you know this would get creative and fun in here!

it wouldn't hurt epi much to fork out a prize or three.. just small things token appreciation and a bit of fun.

some small gear and then a t shirt and poster. etc..

Everly Strings once had a similar sort of thing. send in a picture of you and your Everly T shirt posed somewhere interesting or funny and win a box of strings.

I had my picture by a buffalo but I didn't win.

I suppose they took one look at the buffalo and me and thought, so that's why they call it a hump.

TWANG

Archived