Gibson Brands Forums

Microphone

Should work fine. It's not as if you're looking for hi-fi vocal definition if you're plugging into a 5 watt guitar tube amp, right?

In fact, since you're blazing a path down the lo-fi trail anyway, you might also consider one of those hyper cheapie Rat Shack microphones that used to come standard with the old tape recording devices of yesterday. I'm sure they've still got them somewhere in their inventory, and something really crappy like that might actually sound kinda cool into a tube amp.

If you can find one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Electro-Voice-649B-Microphone-In-Box_W0QQitemZ120238971263QQihZ002QQcategoryZ133004QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's an old ElectroVoice 649b "lavalier" type mic that you might be able to find at a flea market or shop that carries old mics (or if the bidding doesn't go that high on this one). Fits nicely in any space so you can experiment with a lot of different mic placements , and the frequency response is just what you want in a guitar amp mic.

I used to have a lot of these kicking around when I taught a music recording course at a college, and you could beat the hell out of them and they'll still work. (Had some fun using them as "drum sticks" to hit the drums with the mic itself, really great nasty sound.)

Tom Herling

Should work fine. It's not as if you're looking for hi-fi vocal definition if you're plugging into a 5 watt guitar tube amp' date=' right?[/quote']

Actually I was considering using it for vocals! Mind you I've got a 125ESE and turretboards components coming, with an octal power amp board and a JJ EL34L from Eurotubes.

Actually I was considering using it for vocals! Mind you I've got a 125ESE and turretboards components coming, with an octal power amp board and a JJ EL34L from Eurotubes.

Ok. So, what exactly is your goal? I doubt you're going to find pristine vocal amplification from even a 12 watt SE tube guitar amp. If you're looking for effect, cheapo is the best route. If you're looking for pristine, anything besides a low-powered tube guitar amp is the best route.

Archived