Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting String height

tom nair

Small, small, SMALL adjustments - 1/4 turn may be too big, or not. Be sure to know where you started before each increment so you can put it back if further adjustment gives no further improvement. Easiest way is take a line of sight from one of the slots on the screw head to some fixed object, say the corner of a pickup ring. And yes, probably only one side needs adjusted. BTW, if you HEAR it change pitch, you may be making to big a change. Straight line of site from the anchored nut to the bridge results in an arc as the bridge moves up and down (pretty BIG but an arc anyway). Moving the bridge too far up or too far down from that straight line moves it out of that and changes the pitch. You're talking only .001 or .002 difference if all you want is to remove a slight buzz. Are you sure its not a loose or high fret?

Well I did some adjustments, up to a 1/4 of a turn, and It did not improve much. I did notice that the area of the neck that I do the most bending, the frets have really flattened out. The guitar is only two years old. Is this normal? I have not had a problem before with fret ware or buzz on my old guild accustic or my old jap strat.

It's a pretty big bolt seated directly into the body of your guitar. If you're confused about which way to turn it, I suggest you turn it and just observe if the strings get higher or lower :)

If 1/4 turn isn't enough, just keep going. I adjust my action in 1/2 turn steps. Maybe I'm missing out on the difference 1 mm in string height will make, but having the strings a bit higher is no issue for me. And if you go "too far" past where it stops buzzing, you can just turn it the other way.

If the frets are totally worn adjusting the action just won't help, but even with a lot of bending I'd be surprised if that would happen in 2 years.

Archived